Help! I need a new DVD player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bigfatsi, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Guys. This is my first post here so be gentle!

I bought a 42" plasma before xmas (Hyundai HPTD4201S) and I've got it hooked up to a Toshiba SD240E through component cables with the progressive scan enabled. The problem, not to put too fine a point on it, is that the Tosh is completely crap. PQ is ok but it's extremely picky about playing anything but perfect original discs and will skip and jump with most dvd-r's or slightest scratches. Also sometimes whilst playing a movie the remote and front panel buttons will be rendered useless forcing me to reach behind and pull the plug. Anyhoo, I'm sick of it and want a change even though it's less than 2 months old.

I've been looking at the Denon dvd-1910 as a replacement (Through the DVI which is currently used for my PC) and wondered if anyone had any thought or suggestions? Will I notice a difference between DVI and my current progressive scan setup? Is the Denon any good or are there better (sub £200) DVD players available?

Cheers for any help you can give

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    By all accounts the 1910 is excellent via digital video but is nothing to right home about on component.

If you are gonig to go down digital video I would recommend auditioning this player. If you are sticking with component you cant really get better than the tosh 340e unless you spend more than £300

3. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Astaroth.

Is there a huge difference between the 240e and the 340e? I would obviously prefer to pay for the Tosh than the Denon but the 240 has put me off. Unless the Denon looks a LOT better! I thought (probably wrongly!) that the 240 and 340 were based on the same but that the 340 played Divx/xvid?