1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help I MIss My Music!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by nashb, Apr 22, 2005.

1. nashb

nashb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello People,

I now have a home cinema kit and have sacrificed my hifi in the process. I listen to lots of MP3s on my PC and would like to upgrade to a better sound. My souncdcard is Creative 2z and speakers are Creative Inspire 5.1 but its NOT THE SAME.

Could I add anything to my PC eg amp or speakers, to boost the sound.

Could I use a 5.1 amp and 5.1 speakers/sub?

I listen to mainly dance music.

Thanks in advance.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    buy a cheap stereo AMP and older Pio or Technics dirt cheap and some big old floor standers Mission/Wharfedale/Kef etc for a song, run a line out to the AMP and enjoy.....

3. nashb

nashb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hie HornyB (respect, respect),

Do I just connect the amp to the soundcard?

TIA.

4. cwilson

cwilson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    yes, you need a "i-pod" type connector, runs from a single plud on the sound card to 2 phono at the amp. Plug it into line or aux in. I run a set of mission 703e floorstanders from a blaster live card (through a old sansui amp)
    You can get the leads most places, Currys and comet normaly stock them.
    If you have the HD space, they sound better as wav files, or if run linux flac aint bad.

5. nashb

nashb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks CW.

6. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    can i give a word of caution about using hifi speakers attached to a sound card from a pc
    although in the majority of cases this will not apply but in some it will
    do not choose speakers that are too revealing trust me they will sound awfull pc sound cards are not the best source for music and although they have got better over the years

choose a half decent amp ( i use a yamaha dsp a592 ) especially if you like to listen at loud volumes
    choose speakers that can take a lot of stick easily ( i use a pair of JBL control can't remember the model number but not model 1 and a gale active sub ) and away you go

pc's can produce a reasonable amount of distortion and don't forget that not every sound that comes from your pc be it music or an odd wave file off the net is distortion free, this will in time kill a pair of good quality hifi speakers as we all know they are not partial to abuse, i find the jbl control range excellent for pc's with a good amp but you do need a sub because the base although impressive for the cabinet size isn't really up to much

shop around but don't dismiss the ones i have mentioned they might suprise you how good they really sound

saying all this i have tried them on my main hifi and they sound crap but with a bit of emphesis and a sub where finesse isn't really an issue ( let's face it your playing mp3's ) they sound pretty impressive

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think it's fair to say that a lot of the low-end PC soundcards were poor,but even mid-range cards can now deliver decent if not outstanding quality(by that i would include the £100+ market,containing things like the RME,M-Audio,and Audiotrak cards) and in the levels above that,the Lynx cards will give a good high end DAC a very close run for it's money.

8. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I would go further than this. My cheap (£50) M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is proving to be a very good source, and although I haven't tried the RME or Lynx cards, many here have, and report them to be better than a DAC of equivellant price.

Are you saying 'do not choose speakers that are too revealing' if your PC is not one of the majority? So that comment doesn't apply to most?

I disagree.

I've not used poor quality files, but I assume you're right.

Do you have your music on CD as well as MP3s? I have just ripped 300 CDs to my PC in lossless format (taking up 115 gig) and there's obviously no problem with distortion. I'm listening now, with an exposure 2010s amp, and Dynaudio 42W speakers, and it's great. If your files are ok, I'd say choose the same amp and speakers that you'd choose if using a seperate CD player, then choose the appropriate soundcard to match (the cost of the souncard will be insignificant compared to the rest - eg, my amp and speakers cost £550 2nd hand, souncard £50 new).

9. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I use a Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 and iTune with most of my music either ripped in 128kbps MP3 or AAC into a NAD C320BEE amp, with a pair of Mission m70 speakers and Sony MDR-CD480 headphones. The NAD amp is a warm sounding amp, which to my ears. seems to help the 'bright' presentation that MP3 and AAC playback suffers from, especially with the Audgy 2. My other sources are a NAD C521BEE CDP and Pro-Ject Debut II turntable. I use the iTunes/Audigy 2 combination a fair bit for convenience and it's great fun to listen to with the above combination.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I use an Audiotrak Prodigy in my HTPC,run purely as a digital output from the PC to the Upsampler and DACs,and as such,it works very well,but I've no doubt that something like a Lynx would be a very suitable alternative to my off-board DAC/upsampler,albeit at very similar prices,which is why I stuck with a relatively cheap card(with good digital outputs) and kept a good DAC.