Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help, I have a question about progressive scan on my plasma.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by buckskin 2000, Jul 28, 2005.

1. buckskin 2000

buckskin 2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using component cables and a PS2 to view DVD's on my plasma tv. It is one of the new panasonic 2005 models. When i watch a cartoon such as futurama (I have the episodes all in their box sets) and the ps2 is in progressive scan, the picture around moving objects like mouths for example, look weird. It is like there are medium sized blotches of color. When i turn progressive "off" on my PS2, the problem dissapears. Why is this and is there any way around it while leaving progressive scan on? Thanks a lot :lease:

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    just leave it off as the screen is prog scan anyway........no need to have the ps2 do the prog scan, particularly as it doesn't sound very good at it.

3. buckskin 2000

buckskin 2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So i do not even need the PS2 set to progressive scan to view a progressivly scanned picture on DVD's? Why would the option even be available then? THX

4. buckskin 2000

buckskin 2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    The PS2 Has a progressive scan option because CRT Tv's run interlaced by default and turning prog scan on will have a big improvement on compatible CRT TV's, Whereas your plasma is progressive scan by default.

6. buckskin 2000

buckskin 2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks. I guess that i will turn that off. One more question, why would i want to buy a progressive scan dvd player if my tv is automaticly progressive scan? Also, when i play games on my ps2 or gamecube, i turn progressive scan. I am running both of them through component cables. Is turning on progressive scan useless or does it improve the picture when playing games. Thanks a bunch.....

BTW, my original user name was not Fairy Cake, it was inappropriate and the mod or whatever changed it. I have already replied requesting for him to change it to something i find more desierable.

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As mentioned not all TVs are progressive scan. Sometimes the term is also (mis)used to describe the internal de-interlacing / scaler of certain TVs, i.e. the TV might not accept a progressive scan signal via it's input but performs some "electronic magic" *) with the incoming signal and then paints it progressively on the display.
    Using a progressive scan (PS) DVD player with a progressive scan display will make the function in one of them somewhat redundant, but it gives you a choice though it also depends on what connections you are actually using, e.g. an input signal via S-Video would not be progressive even it comes from a PS-capable DVD player. Then the PS function in the display is put to use.

*) Line-doubling, scaling, de-interlacing ... whatever - there are differences between those terms but often they are used synonymously for 'progressive scan' (not necessarily correct to do so, but let's not get into semantics here)

It might not be useless (see above) but look at the screen while playing with the settings to see which gives you the picture quality. :)

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    now we're intrigued as to what your original name was!! :)

9. buckskin 2000

buckskin 2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, now you know what my new name is :)

Thanks for all the help, ill have to look at the screen and decide for myself.

My old user name was efin wasted, but only with f'n.

10. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    seems a bit harsh :)

11. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +701
    Yeah Buckskin, It depends on what source you are using.I've got a PV500 and find my pio 575 and xbox look better when they do the progressive scan processing themselves but the PS2 and Gamecube don't seem to make much difference turned on or off.

12. Fontie

Fontie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Ive lost the manual for my PS2 how to i turn progessive scan on or off

13. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I had this problem with a pioneer 585a, progressive looked aweful on my hitachi 7200, all blocky around objects, and blacks were bad. I took it back, and with RGB atm on my old player. Though this has intrigued me, because i didn't know screens were prgressive scan aswell, i thought they player had to send them, does this mean then, that i may as well not be looking for a better player with prog scan, and stick with my old RGB one? As it looked better than component anyway, even over a freebie scart v a QED component lead.

14. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    yes, may as well leave it to the screen to do ps unless you wish to spend fortune on dvd player with better ps abilities