Help! I have a dilema

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by 100%WHU, Mar 23, 2006.

1. 100%WHU

100%WHU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I can't make up my mind what to do! I am torn between getting a Denon 1906or a Yamaha 657.

Creative audio are doing a Hot Deal for the denon with kef eggs for £520 or 657 with kef eggs for £650 now am i putting to much emphasis on the Yamahas ability to up convert to Component? Or is that something I should be aiming to have an amp do?

2. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Bear in mind that

1/ your screen effectively up converts the signal into RGB anyway, to show the picture
    2/ the fact that 'you can't polish a turd'. If the signal information isn't there to start with...

3. 100%WHU

100%WHU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    lol, so I gather from that you are suggesting the Denon then

4. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Sorry, not at all. I have an older Yamaha and like it. I just wouldn't be too bothered about the ability to upconvert. Others may disagree, I'll confess I'm no expert, it just seems to be self evident (to me anyway).

The yamaha seesm to be supplied with an optimising mic whereas the Denon seems to require a separate mic. Its a tricky choice tho'.

"My old man said follow West Ham..."

Andy
    A Hero of Roots Hall

5. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Being able to plug all your sources into the amp and display via one output is very nice (did it with my Denon 3805 at my old place). However our best (and most prolific) method of quality connection is RGB via scart which is not catered for by amps. Many freeview and cable set top boxes don't do svideo so you have to use composite (the 'turd' in question) or spend on a convertor. It isn't as simple as one or t'other!

6. 100%WHU

100%WHU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    So are you saying if I buy the 657, then I couldn't use the coponent up converting anyway?

7. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    You can if your display device has component in.
    I use a Yamaha 657 on my setup. Have a xbox360 on one input, DVD player on the other, HTPC and a modded xbox on s-video upconverted to component.
    Works a treat, and saves having an extra connection from the amp to the TV.

8. 100%WHU

100%WHU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    So would I notice much difference between s-video and component up converting?

9. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It's only the s-video which is upconverted to component, but it won't improve the look of any source from s-video. Most of the recordings i do from the TV which i convert to Xvid and play through my HTPC (s-video) are pretty good quality. Although i still have a CRT telly, so i don't know what difference it would make on a plasma/LCD screen.
    What kit are you going to connect to the amp?

10. 100%WHU

100%WHU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have Sky, a dvd player and VCR, thats it really

11. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Sorry - forgot to ask what type of TV you're connecting to and what inputs it has.

12. chris.

chris.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Upconversion is only desined to make wiring and functionality easier, not to improve the image. If you do not have upconversion you end up having to change inputs on your TV/monitor when the particular selected source device uses a diferent input type to the one before. Pain in the ar5e without it if you ask me. Also the 657 is a better sounding amp in my opinion. Agree with the "can't polish a turd" quote but the fact that a screen converts a signal to RGB does not mean you will not benefit from connecting a decent signal to it.

13. 100%WHU

100%WHU

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I am looking at PX60 or PD7200

14. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Not without using composite (which is not very good!) or using converters, i.e. Keene APTUS1 (rgb to component). Most amps are designed to cater for the US or Japanese market, both of which make extensive use of svideo or component. We use RGB via scart. Try finding an amp the has scart connections or can switch RGB without using converters. If you want to switch everything at best quality, you have to consider the cost of conversion. Thankfully HDMI is universal. We Europeans (the French!) have not gone and designed our own system and foisted it upon all EU countries!

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,517
    Hello 100%WHU

The ability to Cross Convert'* from S-Video to YUV 'Component' is completely irrelevant with your list of sources.

*Lets call it cross convert for simplicity/accuracy - up-convert implies some sort of magical improvement in signal quality!

You always want to set your Source device to Output the best Video signal it can manage - in your case this is likely to be:

SKY - RGB via SCART
    DVD - RGB via SCART (or possibly YUV Component - you don't say which player you have)
    VCR - Composite via SCART

Composite is catered for on pretty much every AV Receiver whilst as others have pointed our RGB via SCART is not.

Assuming the Panasonic TH-42PX60 is the PlasmaTV of choice for you I'd connect the RGB SCART sources direct to the SCART inputs on the TV and only take the Optical or Coaxial Audio to whichever AV Receiver you choose.

If you want the 'simplicity' of using an AV Receiver as your Video and Audi Hub I'd suggest you go for a TH-42PHD8 or TH-42PWD8 Plasma Display from Panasonic and add the RGB2YUV converter as mentioned by Cable Monkey and 'switch' YUV Component + Digital audio via the AV Receiver of choice (most of them in your price range have three YUV Inputs).

If you want only One cable to the Display and you also want to cater for Video sources equipped with HDMI your going to have to go further up-market on the AV Receiver front to get something with HDMI switching plus cross conversion of Composite and S-Video to YUV plus cross conversion from Analogue to Digital so you have a single HDMI cable going from the AV Receiver to the Display.

Another (and better) option is to combine a Display with an external Video Processor (these cater for Composite, S-Video, RGB SCART, YUV and HDMI sources and have a single Digital Video Output to the Display) and do away with any form of Video processing on the AV Receiver and simply use it for Audio processing.

Best regards

Joe