HELP! HW-Q80R, SWA-9000s and Xbox One X

Ethan44

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am at my wits’ end so I’m turning to you for help.

I purchased a Samsung Harman Kardon Q80R and paired it with the only device I use, my Xbox One X by HDMI. After playing with all the sound settings I wasn’t entirely impressed with the immersive sound so I purchased the optional SWA-9000s “wireless” rear speakers.

After playing around with my Xbox sound settings I’m even more confused. To me, the only setting that sounds good is “Stereo Uncompressed” after playing countless sound test videos on YouTube trying to find the best sound setting I’ve come to realize I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing.

My options on the Xbox are:
Stereo Uncompressed
5.1 Uncompressed
7.1 Uncompressed
Bitstream Out

When I select anything other than Stereo Uncompressed I can’t hear anything from my rear speakers.

When I select Bitstream Out it gives me the option for:
DTS Digital Surround
Dolby Digital
Dolby Atmos

I just want the best sound I can possibly get, could somebody shed some light on how I can achieve that with this set up please?

Thank you!

Hi
can you give a fair bit more detail of your setup. What tv? How is everything connected up, what hdmi cable you are using etc?
cheers

Last time I checked YouTube on the Xbox only outputted in stereo so that could be why it sounds best?

Personally I would set it to bitstream out and Dolby Digital and just play some games. You could set it to Atmos but the Xbox will send everything with an Atmos signal resulting in some speakers on the bar not being used for none Atmos material(upmixing is disabled on the soundbar when it thinks it is receiving Atmos)

Thank you both for the reply!!

Hi
can you give a fair bit more detail of your setup. What tv? How is everything connected up, what hdmi cable you are using etc?
cheers

My TV is a Samsung NU7100 (UN58NU7100)

My Xbox One X is plugged in via OEM HDMI cable to the sound bar and the sound bar is plugged in via OEM HDMI cable to HDMI IN 3 (ARC)

Last time I checked YouTube on the Xbox only outputted in stereo so that could be why it sounds best?

Personally I would set it to bitstream out and Dolby Digital and just play some games. You could set it to Atmos but the Xbox will send everything with an Atmos signal resulting in some speakers on the bar not being used for none Atmos material(upmixing is disabled on the soundbar when it thinks it is receiving Atmos)

This makes a lot of sense. I set it to Dolby Atmos which sounds fine, but noticed my rear surround speakers not getting much attention.

Would you recommend Dolby Digital over DTS Digital Surround?

I noticed when I changed from Dolby Atmos the logo would disappear on Netflix titles which tells me I’m not getting the “best” sound I can possibly get on these titles. I really just want the best possible sound delivered to all speakers without any sacrifice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom