HELP: How will I connect it all up?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by teabagfleet, Jan 24, 2008.

1. teabagfleet

teabagfleet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After ,my last posts which I was helped out with I have taken the plunge!

I have bought

A Samsung 37" LE37R87BDX/XEU
    A PS3
    And a Sony Home Cinema (However the DVD Laser is broken)

How will I connect this up to get the best sounds? Do I need to purchase another dvd player to replace the broken sony one and connect this to the home cinema and if so how will i do this?

From the last advice I got I understand I will connect the PS3 to the TV with an HDMI Cable and the PS3 to the Sub Woofer with an optical cable... however, how would i then get the sound from the TV through the home cinema as well, would this involve getting a new dvd player with an optical output as well... (My sub only has one optical input, will I need to keep changing them over?)

Hope this makes sense, thanks for any help... I'M CONUSED!!!

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    As the home cinema system's internal DVD player, doesn't work, you could simply use it for sound from external sources like your PS3 and so on providing it has the required connections. You didn't state what model it is but if it has optical input, it will more than likely also have an analogue input. To get surround sound from the TV, simply connect an audio cable from the TV to the h/c system. It will either be a RCA phono (analogue red/white) connection or optical. If the connection is optical, an optical switchbox will be required.

RCA phono cables
    Optical switch

3. teabagfleet

teabagfleet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is absolutely brilliant!!! Thanks so much so I am going to do this...

PS3 to TV = HDMI
    PS3 to Home Cinema = Optical
    TV to Home Cinema = Optical (Using the switch you described)

Will this give me the optimum sound and allow me to play DVDs on my PS3 to best effect?

Thanks so much

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Yup, that setup will work perfectly. You will have to configure the PS3 in the sound settings menu to output bitstream via optical etc. but that's straightforward enough. If you have any further questions after you set it up, just post back. You can get digital audio switches if you prefer something that works by remote but they're obviously more expensive, Thor makes one that is a combined HDMI-digi audio switchbox. Alternatively consider upgrading your sound system to an av receiver and speakers (sony 910 works well with PS3 by all accounts).