Help! How to reset a digibox to make freesat work?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by hippo, Feb 14, 2005.

1. hippo

hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help -

I bought a digibox from a pal and signed up for freesat from sky. They sent me a card, but when I put it inthe box, the box doesn't recognise it. The box recognises the old card (my pal left it in the box) but won't even read the serial number of the new card. Sky sent a replacement card, but exactly the same problem.

I heard a rumour that the box and card somehow get "married" to each other - is there a way I can reset the box to recognise the new card?

Any advice or ideas appreciated!

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Not sure about freesat, but with normal Sky cards you have to phone Sky and get the card paired to the box.

3. hippo

hippo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky told me it's a problem with the box - if it can't read the card, there's nothing they can do. But I don't understand why (on the setup menu) it reads the number of the old card fine, but won't read the new card (new one has a yellow house on it, old one doesn't).

4. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    Could be on old firmware. Try a forced update (but only if you have a good signal) or if it's a Grunding box it might have faulty memory chips so won't update.

5. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got hold of an old sky card that wasn't matched to my old box when I upgraded to sky plus. By holding down backup while plugging the box in, it forced a software update and then said something along the lines of 'registering sky card'. It then began to work as a freeview card.