Help. how to read sub specifications

L

luoxy

Need helps from bros there.

1: sub come with JVC QP-F10 link http://www.jvc-asia.com/sg/products/dvddetails.asp?id=53

High-Efficiency PWM Digital Amplifier, Active, Bass reflex system
Auto Power-On/Standby
impedance: 4ohms,
output of amp: 100w (50 Hz, 4ohms, 10%THD),
Frequency range: 32 - 200 Hz
Input terminals: Input (low-level)
power handling: 27W
mass: 8.86kg
Dimensions (WxHxD mm): 185x374x385

2. sub come with Denon DHT-1356XP, link http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_...ppe_C=4&action=detail&Pid=258&main=prod&sub=1

Construction: Active, Bass reflex system
Amplifier Output 50W (6ohms) / 100 W (Dynamic Power)
Input impedance 22 kohms
Frequency response: 30 - 200 Hz
Bass chassis: 160 mm
Weight: 9,2 kg
Dimensions (WxHxD mm): 210x353x379

Jusdging from the specs, can anybody advise which sub is better?
Is the first one much more powerful than the latter since its power is 100W, which is 2 times of the latter.
But the first one has power handling of 27W, which does that mean?
And the latter one has impedance 22 kohms, this 3000times of the latter!! what is the implication on the performance of the sub?
Is it genearlly true that heavier speakers/sub are better?

I can answer the impedance question.

With the JVC, they are quoting the impedance of the speaker drive unit. This is totally irrelevant with an active speaker like a subwoofer. Maybe they mean that the satellite speakers are 4 ohms?

With the Denon they are quoting the input impedance of the amplifier. This is a valid specification, but, again, means nothing in practice.

All line level inputs have a high impedance, while speakers have a low impedance. Nothing to worry about with either of these units.

The only real way to compare subs is by listening to them. If you can't, the main things to consider are weight, as you suggested (heavy= good build quality) and the size of the speaker drive unit.
Since they both have the same size speaker, and weigh similar amounts, I'd not worry about the differences between the subs, but look at the quality of the DVD player, receiver, and satellite speakers.

Thx clockworks, i learnt something new. I thought the JVC sub is 2 times powerful than the Denon set.

Talking about the whole package, I feel the Denon sat speakers are far more better than the JVC ones (1.2kg, 2 way vs 0.6kg, 1 way) but the JVC has a better AVR (digital RX-F10 vs AVR 1306).

Can I know your opinion on that as well? which set should i get?

Althougt Jvc come with a DVDP that Denon one doesn't have, but JVC is more ex. The price difference can get me DVDp for the Denon. Therefore cost is not an issue here.

Personally I wouldn't buy either of them!

I'd go for a "proper" AV amp, DVD player, and speakers. There's a Yamaha amp and speaker set that gets a lot of recommendations on this forum. I think it's the Yamaha AV57.
This is a proper AV receiver, with some speakers that you can upgrade later, if you need to.

Oic, But i thought the RX-F10 digital amp is better than that of AV57, i.e. RX-v357? But anyway, the AV57 is not available in Singapore. too bad:(

Not sure why you think that the JVC is better than the Yamaha. Looks like a typical cheapo surround receiver, while the Yamaha is an entry-level hifi receiver.

I think that you should forget the paper specifications, and go and have a listen to some systems at a decent hifi or AV store. If you can't do that, at least have a listen in a TV store.
Concentrate your search on equipment from manufacturers with a hifi heritage, such as Denon, Yamaha, Marantz, Pioneer and Onkyo. These companies rarely make bad equipment.

I can't agree with you more.
Must go down there listen, listen and listen. Thx.

With respect of the JVC RX-F10 digital AVR. I am not sure, but people over http://www.audiocircle.com give a pretty good regards of it over conventional analog Avr.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom