HELP - How to I hook up my Home Theater?

benc007

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Panasonic Plasma VIERA TC-P60ST60 (see Panasonic VIERA 60" Class 6018" Diag. Plasma 1080p 600Hz Smart 3D HDTV TC-P60ST60 - Best Buy )

set up like this:

Plasma TV <---- HDMI Switch (5 ports)
- Tivo Roamio Plus
- BluRay Player
- DVD Player 1
- DVD Player 2

I also have an orginal XBox (Composite / RCA connection only).

I have a LGDVT418 home theater system with 4 speakers - see See LG LGDVT418 Home Theater in a Box - Newegg.com

which has:
Video Signal Out
Composite (Monitor) 1
Component 1
S-Video 1
Component Switch
Component/S-Video by OSD
Component/SCART by OSD
Headphone Jack (3.5mm)
External FM/MW Antenna

What is the best way to set up everything so all devices including the XBox can use my LGDVT418 system / speakers?

Please HELP!

I don't think this is achievable. Unfortunately "home cinema in a box" products are not really designed for plugging in lots of sources. Your best bet is to buy an AV reciever, even if it's just a cheap one.
Not sure why you want to plug in 2 DVD players and a bluray and the LG system already has a DVD player?!!
Surely your blu ray player will play DVDs.

TiVo Xbox and bluray connected to an AV reciever by HDMI with one HDMI out to the TV is the standard and easiest option.
You will most likely still be able to connect the LG speakers to the av receiver.

The LG DVD is very poor quality, so I only use this as a home theater. I have other DVD players to play older DVDs, VCDs, etc. that don't work in the new models.

I have attached 3 pictures below ...

Possible Options
1) I should be able to connect the TV Digital Audio Out to the LG home theater. The LG has an Optical In but I am not sure if it will work with a Toslink cable. Does the LG Optical In use the same plug as the TV Digital Audio Out? See 3 pictures below.

Using:
Mediabridge - Toslink Cable - Optical Digital Audio Cable - 10 feet $8
Amazon.com: Mediabridge - Toslink Cable - Optical Digital Audio Cable - 10 feet: Electronics
2) connect the TV Digital Audio Out to the LG home RCA Input (white & red) - but will I get 5.1 sound?

Using:
SANOXY AGPtek Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter $13
Amazon.com: SANOXY® AGPtek Digital Optical Coax to Analog RCA Audio Converter Adapter: Electronics

Or:
FiiO D3 (D03K) Digital to Analog Audio Converter With Micca 6ft Optical Toslink Cable - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC $28
Amazon.com: FiiO D3 (D03K) Digital to Analog Audio Converter With Micca 6ft Optical Toslink Cable - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC: Electronics

3) connect the TV Antenna / Coax In to the LG home Coaxial In - will this even work?

4) connect the TV Antenna / Coax In to the LG home RCA Input (white & red) - will this even work?

Using:
Digital Optical Coax to Analog R/L audio converter $17
Amazon.com: Digital Optical Coax to Analog R/L audio converter: Electronics

Or:
TV Digital Optical Coax to Analog Stereo RCA Audio Converter Adapter 24Bit/192KHz, Includes NEW 6 feet Optical Cable $39
Amazon.com: TV Digital Optical Coax to Analog Stereo RCA Audio Converter Adapter 24Bit/192KHz, Includes NEW 6 feet Optical Cable: Electronics

What are your thoughts? Can anyone help?

Ben

Attachments

• TV-Input.JPG
    TV-Input.JPG
    530.8 KB · Views: 67
  • TV_Digital_Audio-Out.JPG
    TV_Digital_Audio-Out.JPG
    358.3 KB · Views: 70
  • LG-Home-Theater-Input-Output.JPG
    LG-Home-Theater-Input-Output.JPG
    697.2 KB · Views: 121
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Those 2 optical sockets are indeed the same. Any old cheap toslink cable would do

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom