Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

help! how to connect my dell laptop to viera??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by lee-s, Dec 5, 2004.

1. lee-s

lee-s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok ive got the laptop hooked up to the viera using the pc interface on the tvs front panel, but being a complete novice with both pcs and plasmas i dont seem to be able to get it working??

what am i doing wrong??

obviously something needs to be turned on in the settings but i dont seem to be able to find what! lol

anybody know??

:lease:

2. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Try pressing FN (function key) and F8 together on the Dell. This will activate the Dell's VGA output. Make sure you have selected AV3 on the Viera.

3. lee-s

lee-s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm got av3 up on the viera and on this lapyop it looks like either the f3 or f4 keys do something with the screen settings the f8 key has no icon on it??

fn + f3 seem to have no effect while fn + f4 just make the laptop screen go black

now im stumped

4. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Dell laptop and it works fine on my Viera - press Fn + F5 simultaneously. You may need to change your laptop screen resolution first - 800*600 was OK. Make sure you are on AV3 on the TV. Oh, and plug-in your laptop.

5. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    OK, what Dell laptop is it and what operating system are you running? C6xx, D6xx, Latitude, inspiron, XP Home/Professional, W2000, W98 etc etc?

6. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Got an Inspiron 8600 & it works fine with my 42PHD7. Just press FN+F8 twice to get to external display only mode :)

7. feanor

feanor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, remember to toggle the input mode for AV3, by repeatedly pressing the same relevant coloured button on your remote (green for AV3? can't remember...). You should find your pc display is available via one of the input modes (depending on exactly how you've connected it)...

8. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yellow button :) and the display in the top left corner should disappear and the word PC in a blue box should appear near top right. If you see AV3 or AV3S in the top left, you need to keep pressing the yellow button.

S.

9. lee-s

lee-s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahhhh ok looks like ill have to try some of those combo's, cheers guys!

o / s is Xp and its a Dell 250N something or other (cant remember at mo) i robbed the lead off my desktop so i know its deffo not a lead problem.

thing that had me stumped was i found the setting to select btwn monitor, tv, and laptop screens but it wldnt let me select the tv choice??? kept saying the lead wasnt plugged in, which was odd ??

had a quick try with an s-vid lead just to make sure everything was ok and that worked fine straight off (albeit with a crap picture) so it must just be down to one of the laptop settings.

i'll keep you posted on how i get on, no doubt ill be back soon for more help lol

thanks again all!

10. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Remember if you are using a VGA cable to plug into the Viera from your monitor out port on the PC then as far as your laptop is concerned you are using an external monitor NOT a TV!! That's why it won't let you select the TV choice. So you need to select monitor not TV.

If you are using an S-video cable from the s-video port on your laptop to the Viera then your laptop will sense that you are using a TV. Be prepared to cover your eyes though as the picture will be shockingly blurred.

S.