1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help -How important is component input

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by tosh hunter, Apr 29, 2005.

1. tosh hunter

tosh hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsdow I know all the tech jargon etc...and am fairly well versed in all LCD tech.....

Heres the problem though....I saw the toshiba 32wl48 and loved it.....i decided to buy the 48 but can no longer get hold of it......

the 32wl56 is lacking component, but has HDMI and RGB..........now my judgement has become completely clouded....i don't trust my own judgement at the mo......have been told that the Hitachi 32...7200 is the new kid on the block and the one to get,,,,,

Should i get the 32wl 56....HOW IMPORTANT IS THE COMPONENT INPUT.....if you have an RGB......

Ps I know they can't label it HD ready.....but thats not a big point.....we are talking PQ and practicality

HELP...!!!!!

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If the Tosh has HDMI then it is HD Ready. Component inputs are handt if not crucial. They allow another AV source to be connected, usually a DVD player. This is the best way to hook up an analogue DVD player and would allow the use of Progressive Scan inputs..

Jimmy

3. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    personally i wouldnt buy a tv without component inputs id want asmany inputs as possible if it was me id buy the hitachi as its getting good reviews from people on this forum. :hiya:

4. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Component is VERY important if you plan to use a Games console. The only way to get the Xbox running in HI-Def is via component.

5. tosh hunter

tosh hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want good PQ for TV viewing for Sky or NTL. I Currently have an NTL set top box....I have an old Toshiba with amazing PQ, but I want to buy the newer 32wl56 .....

However as mentioned it does not have the componenet input...........

How important is it for normal viewing (Sky/NTL), as I barely have time to watch DVD's anymore............

The 999 price is tempting me at the mo....

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Sky can only connect via RGB scart. So component isn't needed. Still a bit of an omission, not having component.

Jimmy

7. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    For SKy you need RGB Scart and for SKY HD you need HDMI, so you will be OK assuming you have nothing else that needs a component input.

8. Contact

Contact
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to squeeze out a little extra quality, most current DVD recorders will just have a component video input and that allows you to toggable to progressive in most cases.

Sometimes the picture becomes edgey, but often it can give some welcome additional sharpness for the extra detail.

You won't need a component input, but it's still worthwhile. It's the best analogue connection. We'd hope that eventually Sky won't be the only HDTV option, and HDMI's main purpose is just to prevent recording (off anything except for a Sky HDTV plus box, which are likely to appear sometime). If that happens, it's good peace of mind to have.

I'd recommend you go and see these TV's running before going any further.

9. Clown

Clown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Is this component to VGA converter good for nothing?