Help.. How do I remove the lever

sep8001

Prominent Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi

The bathroom mixer tap is leaking, so before I try and replace it I want to remove the lever and replace cartridge. The problem I am having is removing the lever, it think it is stuck due to lime scale.

I have tried spraying WD40 after removing the small screw that holds it in place, I have also tried Cillit Bang and Vinegar but no joy.

Any other options before I try and source a new tap?

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    898.5 KB · Views: 2,253
Tried with a long screwdriver head but no joy.
Looks like a new tap then, I just changed mine on the bathroom sink. Even had the luxury of the having been removed so installing tap would be a doddle and it was until I discovered pipe work was a different diameter.
What looked like a simple job on Youtube videos turned into a right pain in the bum.

Looks like a new tap then, I just changed mine on the bathroom sink. Even had the luxury of the having been removed so installing tap would be a doddle and it was until I discovered pipe work was a different diameter.
What looked like a simple job on Youtube videos turned into a right pain in the bum.

That is the main reason I don’t want to try and change it my self.

May have to get a plumber in...

Tried with a long screwdriver head but no joy.

Ruffage is right, but must use a hammer. Screwdriver won't give the sharp, fairly hard smack required to break the limescale seal.

Also try (with a cloth) giving sharp smacks around the tap, then a sharp smack upwards.

I think you have not removed the grub screw inside the lever. See this video and fast forward to 05:54 and it shows your tap or one very similar, allen key needed.

I agree with MrFraggle, but if you've done that, try the hammer again, but this time hit it downwards at the tip of the lever. Not too hard, a couple of sharp taps. At this point you're trying to break the seal, not remove the head. Protect with a cloth, but use the minimum thickness because it will tend to muffle the vibrations which actually do the job.

Also, hit the body of the lever sideways at various points. Then try hitting it upwards.

==== EDIT ====
On re-reading your post, I see you've already removed the little screw.

Rather than cloth, protect the chrome with paper or plastic: anything which doesn't absorb shock.

Screen is definitely out, as it took it out and then when trying to screw it back in, it fell in.

Screen is definitely out, as it took it out and then when trying to screw it back in, it fell in.
I assume you mean screw, the one I am talking about is inside the tap and you need an Allen key to get at it, did you take that out?

I assume you mean screw, the one I am talking about is inside the tap and you need an Allen key to get at it, did you take that out?
Sorry yes screw, I have removed it with a small Allen key.

Thank you all for the suggestion, will try the hammer route first if no joy then it will have to be a new one.

Hi

A bit of Viakal and hammer did the trick, lever is out, the fixing underneath is out, bolt open, but....
cannot get the cartridge out. Looks like it is stuck in so may have to be a new tap.

Any suggestion as to what to look for when buying one that will last. This has been good for over 10 years so has worked well, but I cannot remember if it was a grohe one or something else.

Thank you all for the suggestions and help. Learnt something new today.

Thank you for the suggestion, the OH wants one that is similar to what we have.
Plumb World and Victoria Plumbing are a couple of to look at. I think your one is pretty common so I doubt you will have any bother getting a similar, the fun is in the fitting as there is bit more to it than meets the eye depending on pipe work and whether you have the necessary tools.

See my entry in the Simple DIY thread.:)

Plumb World and Victoria Plumbing are a couple of to look at. I think your one is pretty common so I doubt you will have any bother getting a similar, the fun is in the fitting as there is bit more to it than meets the eye depending on pipe work and whether you have the necessary tools.

Yes agree, looking online most have screws to fit it to the pipe work, my ones is the push fit type ones so I either have to make sure I get something similar or will have to get a plumber in to fix it.

Thank you for your help.

cannot get the cartridge out.
Get as much water out as you can using kitchen towel to soak it up. Then pour Viakal in & leave it for a couple of hours, maybe overnight.

I'm hoping it won't be too difficult, it's just that I'm not as supple as I was when I put it in 20 years ago.

Get as much water out as you can using kitchen towel to soak it up. Then pour Viakal in & leave it for a couple of hours, maybe overnight.

Thank you, will give it a go Friday night.

Morning,

Going to try this out tonight, looking online there are 35mm and 40mm carts so do think it is stuck due to like scale. After putting in viakal overnight and it still does note come out, can I use force like a pliers to try and pull it or not worth the hassle.

Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom