1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - How do I access the service settings to get my Sony FS70 to display NTSC?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by pdharding, Jan 7, 2003.

1. pdharding

pdharding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a Sony FS70 back in May last year. With the TV I also purchased a DVD software region upgrade for a DAV-S800 sound system. I have recently returned from the USA where I purchased US DVD's to play on my system.

Unfortunately they do not work correctly. Although they can be read by the DVD, the TV can't display them correctly. According to my local Sony retailer, I need to change the TV settings to accept US NTSC format. Apparently Sony are not allowed to do this for me.

Does anyone know what the code is to access the service menu to alter the display settings? I currently have my DVD connected by the S-Video link to my TV. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul :(

2. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK,

It would take WAY too long for me to write out the steps, so I've found a handy site with all the info you need. Don't worry if the model number it refers to is different from yours - the steps are the same.

Check it out here: Menu Tweaks.

Now, the caveat is that it's quite dangerous to fiddle with the menu unless you know what you're doing, so I have to emphasise that for NTSC on S-Video, all you have to concern yourself with is the 'Special Adjustment' page, and specifically the entry/entries that read 'NTSC Auto YC' - there might be one or two of these - and they usually start at step No. 12 or 13. Change these settings from 'OFF' to 'ON', and exit the menu, and switch the TV Off afterwards. Switch it on again normally, and the S-video inputs should accept NTSC from then on.

Be Careful, and ENJOY!:D

Moory

3. childe

childe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I too have the FS70, and paid extra for a hacked DVD player which is multi region (Philips DVDR890).

Question: will I have to make the same tweaks to play NTSC DVD's? What about NTSC video's? This would be a disappointment

Thanks

4. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you use the RGB connection, NO, you don't have to worry about this.

If, however, you want to use the DVD player to ouput S-video, you'll have to adjust the setting in the menu, I'm afraid. SUK simply will not abandon this insane 'no NTSC thru S-video' policy.

Moory

5. childe

childe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Moory

Thanks for the reply - one point of clarification please

I am outputting from the DVD via RGB, but I may (I'm not sure) be inputting to the TV via a scart which is only S-VHS. I don't have the Sony manual so can't check easily. Would this prevent NTSC playback, or is that only if outputting from the DVD via S-VHS?

Thanks again

6. Gwyn

Gwyn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony KV32FX66 accepts RGB scart in AV1 and AV2, but not AV3 which only accepts S-video scart. That's what I'm using because that's all my DVD player outputs. (The side AV4 is also S-video but only has an S-video socket, not scart).

So I don't think you can plug your RGB scart DVD-output into a TV scart input that only supports S-video. Having to service-menu-enable the AV3 S-video input for NTSC is a separate task required for NTSC via S-video. Plugging in RGB is not going to work (whether PAL or NTSC) because the set is not going to be looking out for the RGB pin usage of the scart!

7. childe

childe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Gwyn - it sounds like I am OK provided AV2 of my Sony FS70 is RGB, which it probably is.

8. pdharding

pdharding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moory,

Apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

As per your instructions I have now fixed the NTSC via S-Video issue and you'll be happy to know that set still works !!!!

Thanks very much for your help.

Paul

9. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    GREAT!!!

ENJOY :)

MOORY