Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help! Hitachi 42PMA400E problem.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by oleum, Aug 24, 2003.

1. oleum

oleum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Hitachi plasma yesterday and took my time setting up the sand and new comonent output dvd player. Then I hit problems...

1. Dvd player using 3 component leads gives horrible vertical banding acroos the whole screen bands about 1cm wide.

2. Svideo input from sky box (scart) is black and white, very, very slightly off vertical bands. Same black and white pic from Scart ouput to svideo when I use dvd player.

3. Composite video input from sky box (scart) is non exixtant. "No synch signal!" then into power save after a few seconds.

I have definitely got scsrt to svideo and scart to composite cables that go in the right direction.
    I have been through every setting in the manual and I can't see a reason for the display not to be working.

I have connected a pc to the dsub connectors and got a superb display, dvd playback was great and no banding whatsoever. So inherently the screen seems to be OK. However the display panel has a "video unit" basically an expansion card containing the additional input. My bet is that this has a problem somewhere.

Is there anything else that I could be doing wrong, I am at the end of my ideas after 24 hrs of less than satisfactory twiddling.

I am back to Richer Sounds tomorrow morning at 10.00 when they open , but I cant go lugging a 42" plasma back to the shop. I

Anyone have any ideas of other things to try?

2. zorg2000k

zorg2000k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I too have also had a problem with my PMA400E. I also bought from Richer Sounds.

Problem I had was the screen would bonce while using component input. Called Richer Sounds who gave me Hitachi numer, who then transfered me to Endevour. Engineer arrived and said he never seen that before and ordered me a new screen.

Two weeks later new screen arrvied :clap:

Hope that helps

Zorg

By the way its a fab screen :D

3. oleum

oleum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've spent hours in the shop and others viewing various screens and found them to be just what I am looking for.

2 weeks to get a replacement on a brand new but faulty screen is not good. If they try that it'll be in the back of my car and back to the shop. As I said before I don't think the screen itself is at fault, but that video converter card you have to slot in.

Anyone else had problems, or am I making some kind of schoolboy error setting it up :*)

4. manc

manc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will have a crack at 2 and 3

2. Is the svideo a direct output from your skybox (only sky+ has this afaik). If you use a cable to convert it it will not work, you will require a rgb scart - svideo converter such as the JS tech one. I purchased a sky+ box off ebay to remedy this problem and the picture is great.

3. Composite will not work even if you have something just plugged into the svideo port - It shares the same bus and is very fussy so try it with JUST composite plugged in - although i found this input to be so poor its un-useable.

The only thing i can say about the component input is exactly what source are you useing? dvd player make etc. I would be very surprised if this wasnt your problem.

Aside from this you could have a faulty input card but the supplier should sort that no problem.

Good luck.

5. oleum

oleum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the screen back to Richer Sounds and a replacement was in my car within 10 mins. Took it home and set up works fine now, except the svideo. I guess I will need a converter for this, but I will make do with composite for now for sky. I have a decent cable, its better than I expected, and iIhave a lot of dvd I want to watch over.

As far as the dvd component input is concerned. I have a cambridge audio 55 which does progressive scan. This works really well (in progressive scan mode) but still gives the vertical banding if I switch back to interlaced. I haven't tried the scart or svideo output, I guess I'll be watching everything in progressive form now on.

I still have a little tweaking to do but on the whole I am a much happier bunny than I was Saturday night and all Sunday.

And as far as Richer sounds are concerned.... Overall 7/10. One reason I couldn't use prog scan the other day was that the dvd player appeared to have a faulty remote. This was a software problem, the guy in the shop mumbled something about remote being disabled and flashed the rom to correct it. Now why didn't they check it before it left the shop??

Now I have to go, theres this big screen beckoning from the other side of the room....

6. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    :hiya:

I love a happy ending :)

dvd :cool: