1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!Hitachi 42pd5200 or 5300?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by unique460, Nov 29, 2004.

1. unique460

unique460

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody tell me the advantages or disadvantages of these 2 plasmas. I do not know which one to buy. The price difference is nothing so what is best seperate tuner or not? The screen will be wall mounted if this makes any difference.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    On the 5200 all the inputs are on the TV, so you could have a lot of wires running up the wall from your TV aerial, DVD player, Sky box, VCR, etc. The 5300 has a separate box which has only an umbilical wire (which is like a fat figure-8 cable) going to the display, and all the connections go to the external box. So your display will only have 2 cables going to it (the power cable, and the umbilical). The umbilical cable is 10 feet long, but you can get a 30 foot one for £350 ! :rolleyes:

3. unique460

unique460

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply Nick. I see that you have a 5300, are you happy with it? and would you recommend it to a plasma virgin? I have done the rounds of all the retailers and like many people have commented on this site they just do not seem to display the screens at their best surely i will be able to get a better picture quality than I am seeing in the "showrooms". Do you have any tips to ensure the best picture?

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've got a 5300 as well but, depending on the rest of your equipment, you could use the 5200 with just one video cable and one power cable going to the panel.

If your amp is capable of video switching then you connect all your video sources to the amp and then connect the video out on the amp to the panel. Depending on your source equipment you might need to purchase some converters (for example to convert RGB out from Sky to component to connect to the amp).

As for settings for the 5200/5300 there is a good thread on here started by DuncanWardle where he posted his settings for a 5200 - I uses his settings as a vasis for my 5300 and just tweaked them for my eyes.

The 5200/5300 are very good panels (IMHO) but you might also want to take a look at the Panasonic 6/7 series.

HTH

John

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I would recommend this TV. Look on Pricerunner for the best deals. I got mine from RGBDirect. I found the plasma screen a little odd to look at when I first got it, but now (after a couple of weeks) I've grown used to it. When I went back to my previous TV (which now languishes in another room) - a 28" Toshiba WS, it looks dreadfully small, and the flicker drives me mad ! I did have a play with the controls on the Hitachi when I first got it, but since then I have returned most of them to the "mid-position" setting, and it looks fine. The brightness of a plasma display is staggering if you're used to watching a CRT screen that's seen a little action :)

6. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 5300. But if I knew of the advice that Johndon (and others on this board) has given about the amp solution I'd have gone for the 5200 as it gives you a little more flexibility. But no big shakes really. The PQ is good on both. Check out the PW6 & 7s before you buy so you can make a considered decision.