HELP HELP : Panasonic PTAE1000 (PT-AE1000E) question : HELP HELP

MadDog Stu

I had my new Panasonic PTAE1000 delivered yesterday; as an upgrade from my Sanyo PLV-Z4;

its awesome; and I have definitely noticed a difference to say the least from my previous projector; no screen door at all; even if you are inches only from the screen.

However I have a couple of niggles that I would really appreciate your opinions on

1) While the image is say predominately white; say the google homepage with internet explorer from either the PS3 dashboard or a PC connected; I get a very faint like pulsing \ flicker of the entire white part of the image every couple of seconds; like it goes brighter then a little darker again; this is when the lamp is in ECO Mode.

Its FINE and no flicker at all; if the image is not predominately white; no flicker at all; Its also Fine if I switch the lamp into Normal Mode - even with a full white screen;

Now I know its not the source; has I have reconnected my Sanyo PLV-Z4 and don't get the problem; tried different source display resolutions; i.e. 1080p \ 720p etc....
I currently have 8hrs on my lamp;

WHAT DO YOU THINK, IS THIS A FAULT OR A FEATURE OF THIS PROJECTOR - REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP ON THIS ?

-----------------------------------

Also

2)A
lso the text on the PS3 and even the pansonic's own menus; i.e. say white text against a black background; there is a blueish haze to the text edges asit meets the black background- is this normal;

I would really appreciate your views; and also others who have a PTAE1000 to do a similar test to mine; and see if you get the same problem; I am projecting a 100" screen from about 11foot away; to a DIY Fixed screen on my wall (painted MDF - with pure white Emulsion).

PLEASE HELP; has I am not sure if its a problem or not.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

MadDog Stu

I forgot to say; not sure if it has any bearing on the above;
the date on the bottom of my projector says February 2007

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Hi Stu,

My AE1000 is a Jan 2007 one, but I've not come across the issues you seem to have. I have heard about flicker though when using 'eco', but I think this was with the AX100. The solution was to use it in 'Normal' mode for a while (can't remember exactly how long) and then it would be OK when reset back to 'eco'. As I found no difference using 'eco' or 'normal' when using 'Cinema 1' mode, maybe you could try this?

Regarding the text issue, I haven't noticed this myself and I have a 120" screen. I have seen that the 'focus' bars (when you press the 'lens' button on the remote) look a bit like you describe when the PJ is not quite focused spot on especially if I go right up to the screen while focusing. The other thing is that I have my PJ at dead centre width & height to the screen so have no lens shift in use. I believe that large amounts of shift may cause a slight degradation of the picture that would be more obvious using text from a PC.

I hope this helps.:thumbsup:

NWhiteley

Hi Stu,

My AE1000 is a Jan 2007 one, but I've not come across the issues you seem to have. I have heard about flicker though when using 'eco', but I think this was with the AX100. The solution was to use it in 'Normal' mode for a while (can't remember exactly how long) and then it would be OK when reset back to 'eco'. As I found no difference using 'eco' or 'normal' when using 'Cinema 1' mode, maybe you could try this?

Regarding the text issue, I haven't noticed this myself and I have a 120" screen. I have seen that the 'focus' bars (when you press the 'lens' button on the remote) look a bit like you describe when the PJ is not quite focused spot on especially if I go right up to the screen while focusing. The other thing is that I have my PJ at dead centre width & height to the screen so have no lens shift in use. I believe that large amounts of shift may cause a slight degradation of the picture that would be more obvious using text from a PC.

I hope this helps.:thumbsup:

You mention the positioning of your AE1000 as dead centre of the screen, is this the best and/or recommended placement for this PJ?

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
You mention the positioning of your AE1000 as dead centre of the screen, is this the best and/or recommended placement for this PJ?

It was purely that I read somewhere about large lens shifts causing chromic aberation (sp?), so I figured that if I got it dead on then that would minimise the effect. In fact, when I first got the PJ I had it a long way off to the left of centre and level with the bottom of the screen and the picture (using DVD) looked great to me. It is pure fluke that the bookcase I now have it placed in works out to be spot on.

MadDogStu:

Another though re your text is which input are you using and what resolution is your PC sending to the PJ? Some cheaper vga cables can give a 'blurring' effect at higher res and longer lengths. Also if you are feeding the PJ at less than 1920 x 1080 then the rescaling will cause the image to be less sharp...but I guess you probably already know that anyway:suicide:. Plus if you said it does it on menu text then that takes the cable/res input out of the equation anyways.....sorry I'm just rambling again!

jacko5

I had my new Panasonic PTAE1000 delivered yesterday; as an upgrade from my Sanyo PLV-Z4;

its awesome; and I have definitely noticed a difference to say the least from my previous projector; no screen door at all; even if you are inches only from the screen.

However I have a couple of niggles that I would really appreciate your opinions on

1) While the image is say predominately white; say the google homepage with internet explorer from either the PS3 dashboard or a PC connected; I get a very faint like pulsing \ flicker of the entire white part of the image every couple of seconds; like it goes brighter then a little darker again; this is when the lamp is in ECO Mode.

Its FINE and no flicker at all; if the image is not predominately white; no flicker at all; Its also Fine if I switch the lamp into Normal Mode - even with a full white screen;

Now I know its not the source; has I have reconnected my Sanyo PLV-Z4 and don't get the problem; tried different source display resolutions; i.e. 1080p \ 720p etc....
I currently have 8hrs on my lamp;

WHAT DO YOU THINK, IS THIS A FAULT OR A FEATURE OF THIS PROJECTOR - REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP ON THIS ?

-----------------------------------

Also

2)A
lso the text on the PS3 and even the pansonic's own menus; i.e. say white text against a black background; there is a blueish haze to the text edges asit meets the black background- is this normal;

I would really appreciate your views; and also others who have a PTAE1000 to do a similar test to mine; and see if you get the same problem; I am projecting a 100" screen from about 11foot away; to a DIY Fixed screen on my wall (painted MDF - with pure white Emulsion).

PLEASE HELP; has I am not sure if its a problem or not.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH
As it's a brand new lamp the flickering is probably the lamp settling in. Run it in high mode for a few sessions and try it again in low mode.
The blue fringing on white text I assume is only visible when you are close to the screen and is probably slight misconvergance of the panels which is quite normal on 3 chip projectors. If you see colour fringing on normal images then you have a serious misconvergance problem and the PJ should be replaced under warranty.

MadDog Stu

thank you all very much indeed :thumbsup:; you have have stopped me worrying loads that I might have a major faulty projector and that it might be just a slight misconvergance of the LCD Panels I have;

The "fringing' on the text; is when I feed it a 1080p signal say from my PS3; I will try it with a better HDMI lead as well; will also try possibly a feed from ym PC as well and see if I get the same problem;

I have run it for a 4hour period yesterday; and I still get the flicker in ECO-MODE; I also get the flicker in Normal Mode if I switch off the Dynamic Iris; i.e. the only time I don't get flicker is in Normal Lamp Mode with Dynamic Iris ON; I have also tried the various picture settings - i.e. Normal \ Cinema 1 etc... I have not run my projector in normal mode for longer then an 1hr period yet though.

My Projector is dead centre; and about 2ft above the centre vertically - so not using much vertical shift; and no horizontal shift at all;
However, I am almost at maximum zoom with the projector; i.e. an approx 98" Screen Diagnal size from about 11ft away;

I will run my projector on Normal mode for a few sessions and report back on how it goes;

I know I am nit picking; with regards to the fringing; I assume I just have a slight misconvergence of the LCD panels then :(.... will try different feeds but as I see this fringing with the menus and no source selected; I suppose it will make no difference. Even if I got it replaced; whats the chance the replacement could have WORSE convergence issues; i.e. called Chromatic Aberation; and I certainly don't want a replacement that is worse then what I have;

Thank again all for your opinions and advice; its muchly appreciated - sent you all thank yous.

:thumbsup:

MadDog Stu

further testing last night deemed the following

Lamp Mode : Normal; Dynamic IRIS = ON ; then no flicker at all with a predominately white background.

However even with lamp mode normal; if I set Dynamic Lamp mode to OFF; then I even get a very slight flicker with normal lamp mode;

Is this a problem \ fault with the projector lamp or not ?

Thanks for your advice

AndyDD

Standard Member
:(
This is not good news. I have been toying with a replacement for my Infocus 5700 for months because of noise and artifact problems. I have just applied for a buy now pay in 12 months for one of these Panasonic projectors. Maybe I should cancel the order??

MadDog Stu

AndyDD; I wouldn't cancel your order, but obviously the choice is yours.

I am very pleased indeed with my projector except for these couple of niggles which 1) I can workaround and 2) is only visible very close the screen - just inches from it...

I have certainly noticed a massive improvement in many areas over my previous projector - Sanyo PLV-Z4

i will keep you posted if I find out any more info etc...

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
Hi MadDog Stu.

Not sure why you are getting the flicker but I feel it will be the lamp running in!

You State that you are only receiving a flick when outputting 1080p. Which HDMI Cable are you using!

On another note we have revised our price on the Panasonic PTAE1000 and just to let you that we will be refunding you the £99.99 difference!

Regards. Shane.

MadDog Stu

Shane,

great many thanks for passing on the price reduction; that is extremely very generous of you; :clap::clap::clap:

I also get the screen flicker - on a predominately white screen (light screen); and on HDMI from the PS3; and also on VGA from the PC as well; the PS3 is connected with a IXOS HDMI cable; I will try a different HDMI cable just in case; I also have a a shielded VGA so will give that a try as well;

Thanks everyone for your advice, the consensus is; i just need to run my projector in; I will run my projector in with the lamp on NORMAL mode with dynamic iris=ON and let people know my findings after 40hours further usage; currently on 10hours usage;

The quality of the picture is a major step up from the Sanyo PLV-Z4; epsecially so with 1080p sources;

With regards to the fringing around text and such; I am not sure what I can try; I will try different leads; its sounding this is expected I suppose;

AndyDD

Standard Member
AndyDD; I wouldn't cancel your order, but obviously the choice is yours.

I am very pleased indeed with my projector except for these couple of niggles which 1) I can workaround and 2) is only visible very close the screen - just inches from it...

I have certainly noticed a massive improvement in many areas over my previous projector - Sanyo PLV-Z4

i will keep you posted if I find out any more info etc...

I am more than happy to pay more £££s for a projector that will not give me a nightmare as my current Infocus does. I could not find the PTAE1000 anywhere near me to demo so am buying on the basis of unbiased:rolleyes: reviews. I wanted to go for a quieter one, with HD 1080 resolution, better throw distance (for my smallish living room), and one with NO artifact problems in video games.
Watching films such as Inland Empire (lots of silent parts) is extremely frustrating with my Infocus so stopped watching until my projector upgrade :)

MadDog Stu

Hi AndyDD,

Speak with Roy Jowett LTD; thats where I got my projector from and they have gone that extra mile to help me out; they have been really helpful indeed; they have put my mind at rest; and their prices are very compeitive and respond very qucikly;

PTAE1000 is truly an exceptional piece of kit;

I use it mostly for 1080p blu-ray; ps3 and 360 gaming and I have noticed a BIG Improvement.

Cheers

Stu

boksbox

Hi AndyDD,

Speak with Roy Jowett LTD; thats where I got my projector from and they have gone that extra mile to help me out; they have been really helpful indeed; they have put my mind at rest; and their prices are very compeitive and respond very qucikly;

PTAE1000 is truly an exceptional piece of kit;

I use it mostly for 1080p blu-ray; ps3 and 360 gaming and I have noticed a BIG Improvement.

Cheers

Stu

I bought my PJTX200 blind from them, save a few emailed questions, worked out fine.

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
i have no flicker from mine but the majority of 3 panel LCD projectors will give you some fringeing around text (if you look at it closely).

BISHI

Distinguished Member
Mine ok too. Very pleased to see that the UK prices are now comparable to those at Hivizone so that more people on these forums may be able to go out , buy and enjoy this great PJ.

Fangorn

Getting very tempted by this pj as its nearly in my prices range, do you guys have a niggles about it at all ?

MadDog Stu

Thought I would post an update

Quality with 1080p sources is breathtaking... :thumbsup:
Watched a couple of Blu-Ray moves via the PS3... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Up to around 32 hours Lamp Usage now;

I still get like a screen flicker \ screen dimming\brightening effect when
Lamp in Eco-Mode regardless of Dynamic Iris On\Off, also get it in Normal Lamp Mode if I have Dynamic Iris Off;

NOTE : This screen flicker is only noticeable when you have for example the google home page up; i.e. a predominately WHITE Image \ Bright Screen.

Its difficult to explain; Itd a kind of flicker every second; where the picture seems to dim\brighten; It happens on HDMI \ VGA \ Component sources; I have tested with my old projector and get no such problem with bright\white scenes from these sources.

Everyone has said, that my lamp needs to be 'run-in' and so will continue to 'run-in' with lamp mode : NORMAL ; Dynamic Iris : ON;

Will give it 60 hours before I consider this to be a problem;

MadDog Stu

The screen flicker \ dimming problem had not gone away after 40hours of Lamp usage; i.e. it was still noticeable as before on a bright screen if the Lamp Mode was in Eco Mode or if the Lamp Mode was NORMAL with Dynamic Iris=Off - so the shop very kindly agreed to take the projector back to run some tests for a day or two and see if the problem goes away \ see the problem for themselves.

The Projector was delivered back to the shop (Roy Jowett) late on friday afternoon, they will have been testing on Saturday and today; and I should expect to hear from them very shortly as to what the next step is...

I will let you all know what the shop comes back with.

AndyDD

Standard Member
Hi Stu,
My PTAE1000 is being delivered from Roy Jowett tomorrow and I will be using it in eco mode (main reason for changing projector is audible noise).
If mine shows the same issue I will be sending mine back too for an exchange/refund.

goose51

thought i'd try this on here instead of starting a new thread....
got my shiny new pt-ae1000 yesterday, are any of you lot ceiling mounting it? if so which mount are you using, where from etc? i have a 'universal' mount fitted but the attached plate doesn't fit the new pj.
any help appreciated.

Sunshinewelly

Distinguished Member
do not get a cheapy mount . i originally bought a cheap £25 mount which i thought would be fine.

however due to the weight of the projector it kept on slipping and every time i went to replace the lens cover the thing moved.

i took it back and got a vogels mount (£60) which was perfect for the job.

bazzybabes

Standard Member
Hi and sorry to but in on your thread, but which vogel mount is suitable for the ptae1000? Barry

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung's 110-inch Micro LED TV on pre-order at Harrods
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen introduces Beosound Emerge speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches native 4K VPL-VW290ES and VW890ES projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 14th April 2021