Help!! Help!! All LCD & Plasma experts look in.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Jed, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Jed

Jed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right.

I have the finance agreement here to sign. Stop me now. Please read on.

I am in the process of purchasing a Hitachi 3000 32" plasma. However after seeing many bad reports on AV from Hornydragon & Co i am now a wee bit unsettled.

On the way home tonight i called in to Powerhouse. They seemed to know what they were talking about unlike the other muppet stores.
    I noticed a Toshiba 32WL46 32" LCD for £1499. So that's only about £50 more than the Hitachi. On top of that he say's he will give me 5 year warranty for £120.

Is this a good deal.?
    Is it way way better than the Hitachi.?
    Will it last longer than the Hitachi.?
    What about the actual veiwing size. I think when he measured the Tosh it was about 31", but i hear the Hitachi is actually bigger than 32" is this right.

At the minute i have a Sony 28" wide. My setup is stuck on a sort of Fire surround plinth so cannot really go more than 32"
    I will be using Scart connection's. I have Cable Sky t.v.
    The only stuff i ever watch is.
    DVD's and Footie. Is LCD or Plasma best for footie. I hear about all this ghost stuff on fast moving frames.

Think that's about it.
    Please help me out. The next batch of these LCD is coming in on Friday and he say's he will reserve one for me.

Cheers in advance.
    Jed.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,852
    Core question: Are LCDs better than Plasma?
    Answer: In respect of screen burn - yes. In respect of contrast/black level - possibly not. In respect of geometry and stability and convergence - nothing in it - both perfect

Subjectively - the two have a different "look". Which you prefer is up to you.

Viewable size for both types should be all of the quoted measure (only direct view CRTs differ in this respect, being about 10% smaller than the quoted measure).

3. Jed

Jed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
  4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    difficult one mate i have no experience of the Tosh LCD you mention i personally prefer the pic on plasma but many prefer LCD............ LCD with 5 year warranty is a very safe bet see if you can have it at home 7 days grace? Dixons do 14 IIRC

5. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought the Hitachi 32PD5300. Love it. The picture quality is great. Very happy with it. Got 5 yr warranty with it for peace of mind.
    If you dont care about the media box then go for the 5200 models as they are geared up for high definition TV (when it eventually comes and at an affordable price).

Pannys and Pioneer look good ans are highly rated as well, have you checked them out (although I dont think they do a 32")

6. Jed

Jed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Update.

Went to the Metro-Centre tonight to have a look in LE-Concepts.

They had Hitachi 3500 32" opposite the 32" Toshiba :)

The Hitachi had Galaxy Quest dvd running. It seemes quite good to me. However the closer i got i could see like shiver's :D running up the screen. Stood back and didn't notice them.

The Tosh had Fifth Element (Superbit) running.
    Looked closely at it and when the actors :lol: were turning you could see pixels being left behind (for nanoseconds).
    Stood back from it and you don't notice it.

I got talking to the lad he he says LCD is the way to go for the future but his personnel opinion would be the Hitachci.

I asked if they would price match the one from powerhouse. No way. :( He rang them up to make sure but just couldn't match it. His best was £1699 + 3 year warranty.
    As opposed to £1620 and five years warranty and nothing to pay for 9 month. (BTW this is a major turning point for me. :) )

This may have been a sales gimmick but he added that powerhouse have been bought out 3 time's in 2 year or other. If you have a warranty within this time it is null & Void.
    Oh Bugger.

On the contrast note.
    Not really bothered about that. I just want to watch my dvd's and the footie without seeing the Comet effect. (That's what he called it)
    I am now gonna have a look at this panny but still feel free to post. :)

Jed.

7. Ohboy

Ohboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jed,
    At this stage Plasma is better than LCD, give it a few more years and LCD may catch up.
    Have you had a look at the "Sony KE32TSE2" Plasma. very good looking Plasma.
    I have one here in Australia, and when watching HD programs (limited number at the moment) in 1080i, the picture is "Breathtaking"

Have a look at the "Get out your Sony thread.
    Dr.Downey has a good set up with his Plasma, it is wall mounted.. looks very good.
    I have my Plazma on a stand, looks good too.
    Good Luck

Cheers :thumbsup:

8. Jed

Jed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks mate.
    However....The Sonys over here are too expensive for me.
    I have my budget at £1600 :( Downey's set look's great with it being paneled out aswell.
    Today i went in to another Powerhouse and they thought i was lying about it being offered at £1620 for the LCD. A quick phonecall put that one to bed :)
    Whilst i was there they said they give a 7 Day home approval. :smashin: So tonight i think i will get one to hava a look.

I had another look at webelectronics site where the Plasma Hitachi is. They don't have any more for sale. I feel like i could end up with anything. Could be shop spoiled damaged. :thumbsdow

Would still love to hear from someone who has the Tosh LCD though.
    Please come forward.

Jed.