1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! - Have I wired my speakers up wrong?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Steve237, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm hoping someone can identify this problem I'm having with my newly wired up speakers...

I have a pair of Mordant Short floor standing speakers, each with RF & HF inputs. I have bi-wired these up to my Cambridge Audio amplifier and all seemed well, but when I changed the balance on the amp to check each speaker individually, I noticed that one speaker sounds much 'warmer' with much more bass than the other one, which sounds 'tinny' in comparison.

I have no idea what is causing this... I have tried switching speakers and it's the same problem but with the other speaker - so the speakers are fine. I tried using some new pieces of speaker wire but the sound problem is still there!

Now either I've:

a) Made a stupid mistake wiring it up to the amp. Do the RF & HF connections on the speakers have to go to specific connectors on the amp? As the amp doesn't have RF & HF connectors - just standard bi-wire terminals. I have connected speaker wire from the RF termals to one of the outputs on the amp, and speaker wire from the HF terminal to the other remaining output on the amp (for the left side). If I wasn't bi-wiring, which of the terminals on the speaker would I use to wire up to my amp, RF or HF?

OR

b) This huge difference in sound quality on one speaker is due to the length of speaker wire being 2m longer than the other, at a total length of around 14m.

I really hope someone can help/advise... MANY thanks in advance!

2. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hold on a minute...I think I might have just figured this out...

Do I need to be wrapping each of the lengths of speaker wire around BOTH the RF & HF terminals on the speaker??

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    14 meters is a long cable run, but a 2 meter difference won't show up in one speaker, so that's ok. I'd recheck the cabling. Go slow, + to positive, - to -, etc.

4. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Definitely got wired up +/+ and -/-

I have a feeling I'm not wiring up the HF & RF connections right.... see my follow-up post above. But if this is the case, then why does the other speaker sound fine?

5. bowlhead2000

bowlhead2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No, if you want to 'bi wire' then you send the signal down two separate wires to two separate connections on each speaker. You should NOT wrap each wire round both the speakers, or you're not keeping them separate.

If you weren't bi-wiring there should be a metal connector on the speaker itself, that you use to electrically connect the two speaker connections between the binding posts or plug inputs. Then the one wire just goes from your amp to the speaker, and the speaker doesn't care whether you connect this one wire to HF or LF because they are electrically joined anyway.

In your system you were saying that you have run two separate lengths of cable but no matter which speaker you plug into a certain channel, you only get half the sound. So basically it sounds like the sound coming out of that channel from your amp is faulty. As you say, it's not your speakers at fault as both of them work OK if you put them on the non-faulty channel! The bass output will not be massively affected by speaker length so I suspect you are making the right connections but the amp has a problem.

I would suggest you give up on the bi-wiring idea to troubleshoot it. Put the speakers in "non-bi-wired" mode by connecting the terminals, then run cables from the amp's 'A' sockets to the speakers. Do both speakers sound OK? Then try it from the amp's 'B' sockets. Do both speakers sound OK?

Hopefully you will find that it is just the A or the B outputs, and not both, that are broken - i.e. whichever of these is feeding bass is just giving out nothing. Then maybe bi-wiring will not be possible but regular wiring would be OK as a short term solution until you can find someone to fix your Cambridge amp.

6. Steve237

Steve237

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Outstanding info bowlhead2000! I will try this out later tonight and report back.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If it does prove to be a faulty output, how much would it cost to fix (approx)?

7. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I noticed that one speaker sounds much 'warmer' with much more bass than the other one, which sounds 'tinny' in comparison."

That'll likely just be the stereo effect on what ever you are listening to. Making one channel slightly bassy and the other slightly bright is a common technique.

8. phillips321

phillips321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try making your source output in mono. then you can be sure it aint the audio track

9. bowlhead2000

bowlhead2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :) Yeah if you are complaing that one side sounds different from the other, make sure that one side isn't supposed to sound different from the other!