1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Have I got this right?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by neverrememberit, Dec 12, 2002.

1. neverrememberit

neverrememberit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to buy a home cinema system at best prices, and I've been reading the mags. I seem to have settled on these items:
    TH-42PW5B Panasonic Plasma
    SD220 Toshiba DVD
    KEF KHT2005 speakers
    Yamaha RX-V630RDS.

My question is, have I missed anything out?

The Yam is described as a receiver, is this unit both terrestial receiver and amp?

I'm happy to admit I know nothing about these things and would like some advice, or perhaps I should say some comfort that the choices I've made are OK, and that the list is complete.

Thanks

2. MontyUK

MontyUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

"Receiver" in this case means the Yamaha is basically an amplifier and Radio tuner combined . . . if it's a TV Tuner/Receiver you were after, that would be a separate item entirely.

Monty.

3. neverrememberit

neverrememberit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Monty, so this is an extra box I need for the TV, or am I choosing the wrong receiver/amplifier and I could do-it-all with something else?

Any recommendations?

4. Jeb

Jeb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To receive terrestrial TV you have the following choices.
    1) Buy an Analogue TV receiver, not reccomended, on a 42" plasma analogue TV looks preety bad even if you have a huge arial.
    2) Buy a free Digtal TV reveiver, £99 from Dixons will allow you to get all the terestrial channels plus a load of free satellite ones.
    3) Buy sky Digital better picture quality £100 istallation minimum subscription of £10 per month to get all the basic channels as above. You can get shed loads of channels and pay up to £37 per month.
    4) Best of the bunch Sky+, if you subscribe to sky movies you can get dolby digital 5.1 sound through your amp on the wide screen movie channels, plus you can do all sorts of clever recording and pausing, costs are as per normal sky plus an extra £10 per month.

Jeb

5. neverrememberit

neverrememberit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK thanks, a bit stupid of me. We're on Sky at the moment and of course I've seen the terrestial channels on there.

6. dgj

dgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You do not seem to have a subwoofer for the bass effects. This is pretty much an essential for a home cinema set up.

A TIVO recorder or the sky+ recorder would also be very nice
    with your setup.

And do not skimp on the conection/scart leads, get the best you can afford as this is worth while in the picture and sound area.

7. neverrememberit

neverrememberit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the KEF speakers have a subwoofer in the kit. I hope so. Thanks for the advice on cabling.

I'd still like an opinion on the product choices if anyone has one.

8. neverrememberit

neverrememberit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..........also, regarding additional equipment I think the Bank Manager will start to perspire if I buy anything else. Come to think of it he probably will with this lot!

9. dgj

dgj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can get radio stations via the sky box so why buy an amp that also gets radio? why not a stright forward amp? This could be cheaper than the receiver amp.

If you have Sky+ then you can get 5.1 sound broadcasts on some of the film channels.

The amp needs to be at least capable of decoding 5.1 and DTS and if it is, then you do not need a DVD with a built in decoder just one that outputs the DTS or 5.1 audio signal, or look at the DVD/amp/speaker combinations.

Have you had a look at the bargins on the Richer Sounds web site, you have a branch in Milton Keynes.

10. neverrememberit

neverrememberit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a friend with a 42" Panasonic and a DVD catalogue the size of Wales, mostly purchased in the USA, so my choice was because "What Hi Fi" said the SD 220 was a minor miracle and because it can be delivered multiregion.

Richer Sounds have a nearby branch in Reading and their price for the Yamaha was my choice at £319, the KEF KHT2005 speakers from "Go2Camcorder" at £635 inc delivery, the Toshiba SD 220 from Bargain HiFi at £122.61, and the Plasma screen from Bargain HiFi too at £3249 including stand.

All advice taken in but I'm, trying to make it simple and I hope following expert advice.

11. neverrememberit

neverrememberit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW reference an earlier post, can you get good radio stations out of Sky, I just thought they were erzatz anonymous stations not the real deal?

12. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    All the usual stations are there, Radio 1-5, Virgin and various others. Very useful for Radio 5 as AM reception is pathetic even in good reception areas.

13. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you connect your SKY stb as follows you will not need to switch on your plasma when you wish to listen to the radio only... SKY video directly to your plasma and SKY audio to your amplifier. It's that simple and you definitely won't need a receiver unless you intend to listen to your local radio stations.

14. Sparky101

Sparky101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Has anyone got contact details for Bargain HiFi? Do they have a web site or are they just a local retailer? That price for the Panny Plasma is cheaper than anywhere I've seen.

Cheers.

15. cadmeister

cadmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

To answer the original question the components you have selected are all best of breed in their price range so you should be looking forward t a fairly impressive setup. The term "AV receiver" means that it is an amplifier and a decoder all inone - this is becoming the standard these days, but at high end home cinema the two functions are seperated into different units. Most people refer to AV Receivers and Amps anyway.

If you are as new to all this as suggested, you may find the connection issues around the Pannasonic quite confusing (see the many previous posts), though maybe your friend can help. I have found that my ProntoNeo (£120 from Richer) has helped in managing all the different components. Alternatively there are many on the forum who use the Pioneer 433 unit which is far more home friendly in it's connectivity and is a very good panel.

Finally as mentioned by dgj, don't skimp on the cables. It may make you wince paying £50-100 for an interconnect, but after the investment you are making there is no point in ruining your experience with cheap cables.

Good luck

16. adewatson

adewatson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RE SD220

I have this player and have used it with a 42" toshiba rear pro and a Samsung Plasma. IMO it is absolutely flawless the only critisism is the remote is a bit naff but assuming you order all that kit I'm sure you'll get a new all singing all dancing remote soon!!!

Seriously though don't be put off by the tosh seeming too cheap I think you'd have to spend considerably more to get any noticable improvement in quality and even then I doubt whether you would notice.

Regards

Adrian

17. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    John

As others have pointed out the 'best of breed' route should produce a good system (though its not always guaranteed).

The Plasma and DVD player are pretty obvious choices - though you could always consider a non progressive scan Pioneer DVD player if you are tempted by DVD-A and or SACD compatibility.

The KEF sub/sat system is great value for money - though you dont say how large or small you room is. (I'd also confirm with your supplier that the speakers still have there serial numbers intact - KEF wont touch imported kit that's had serial numbers defaced).

I guess from the earlier posts you are looking to use your SKY Digibox as your TV tuner - which is fine; though SKY+ or a TiVO recorder is far sexier than adding a VCR to the system.

Do you plan to use a PC with your system? - I see from your web site that us 'home workers' all like to have a bit of sound and vision in the 'office'.

Things to add to your spending spree include an RGB interface (£120 -£160) for the SKY box (standard box or the plus box) - the type of converter required will depend on your answer to the question about using a PC in the system.

Also you dont mention a cabinet to put the display on - always ensure that any cabinet you choose is capable of taking the weight of the display on the top shelf.

Other than a set of decent quality video and audio interconnects and you are pretty much there - possibly a good guide on Home Theatre set up (£20 -£30) may be a useful addition at this stage if you are unsure about the best position for your speakers and an AVIA test DVD (£40) to enable you to best set up your plasma display would be the finishing touches to the system.

Best regards

Joe