HELP! Have I brought the wrong Nest??

If that was the case I would do what I've done with other wires and chase something in, but that's just me.
That would be a neat, but also intrusive solution. For a device like these batteries lasts several years, so unless you've already got wires and it is in the correct locations for a thermostat (why oh why have we had two properties where it is in the hallway close to an external door that opens) then yet a great replacement solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
As sparky says thee aren't difficult, the confusion comes from having had several different systems over the years where the existing cabling has been utilised via Junction boxes each time, and the rather excellent idea to kill some Sparkies with harmonisation of colours with Europe even then a proper tester and a pen and paper will sort out most messes.

Wow, can't believe this thread is still going!!

Got to wait until Friday for this to be installed so no update yet :boring:

My new Nest arrives tomorrow plus new boiler. Fortunately the boiler supports Opentherm so the Nest will supply more than just old-fashioned, inefficient on/off control of the boiler; it will get 12 volts supply via the old thermostat wires, a great way to repurpose them.
Installed a (wired) Nest Protect smoke/CO2 alarm on Friday which will work in conjunction with it in terms of conforming that someone is actually in the house (as well as switching boiler off in the event of an alarm, as mentioned above).

Well the Nest Pro installer turned up at 7pm...still here now as I type this.

He was also adamant there was a junction box somewhere and we eventually found it hiding under a board in the old airing cupboard!

He's moved be thermostat out the kitchen in to the lounge as he said it'd work better in there due to the heat fluctuations in the kitchen.

He's still not finished as I don't think it was entirely straight forward but getting there...I certainly think it's £90 well spent!!!

Glad ur getting money's worth [emoji5] and obviously made the right choice.

Hopefully my one will be simple as I am powering thermostat using the supplied wall plug in front room and the heatlink will wire straight up to my combi boiler which only has power running to it (no external junction boxes etc) and my current external wall thermostat has 2 wires only which hopefully should be switched on and out.

Although this thread has made me worry a little lol.

Glad ur getting money's worth [emoji5] and obviously made the right choice.

Hopefully my one will be simple as I am powering thermostat using the supplied wall plug in front room and the heatlink will wire straight up to my combi boiler which only has power running to it (no external junction boxes etc) and my current external wall thermostat has 2 wires only which hopefully should be switched on and out.

Although this thread has made me worry a little lol.

Me, @Crocodile and the others will look forward to the thread appearing :D

Make sure you connect the nest wiring centre in and don’t just connect the screen part to the thermostat wires

A final update from me....

In the end it took just over 3 hours to install - however it took nearly an hour of tracing wires and finally finding the elusive junction box hidden under a panel.

He re-located the junction box and moved the heatlink both to the old airing cupboard. He said I'd wired up the heatlink wrong and surprised I'd not blown a motherboard but luckily everything survived and is now up and running smoothly!!

Certainly wish I'd just stumped up the £90 to have it installed by a Nest Pro. The company I used only install Nest products and he's installed over 2500 thermostats and he was still baffled for a little while by the wiring so I don't think I had a chance :rotfl::rotfl:

Attachments

• IMG_5900.JPG
    IMG_5900.JPG
    313.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5901.JPG
    IMG_5901.JPG
    341 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5903.JPG
    IMG_5903.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5905.JPG
    IMG_5905.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 119
A final update from me....

In the end it took just over 3 hours to install - however it took nearly an hour of tracing wires and finally finding the elusive junction box hidden under a panel.

He re-located the junction box and moved the heatlink both to the old airing cupboard. He said I'd wired up the heatlink wrong and surprised I'd not blown a motherboard but luckily everything survived and is now up and running smoothly!!

Glad it's sorted and all working. As soon as u said u didn't even have a multimeter I thought u would be better off getting someone in as there is too many variables.

I'm very glad u didn't blow the motherboard or that fact the actual nest display when u tried every wire.

Me, @Crocodile and the others will look forward to the thread appearing :D

Make sure you connect the nest wiring centre in and don’t just connect the screen part to the thermostat wires

LOL.. I am too scared to check now....

The old thermostat is in a crap place so will be completely disconnected and I am putting the nest in front room. So only be wiring up the heatlink.

That’s the difficult bit. The best screen is only a usb plug.

Take lots of photos.

I'm glad you got it sorted.

What did he do with the old Timeclock? Hopefully managed to get the cables disconnected out of it back at the JB and left you to make good in the kitchen at a later date?

I'm glad you got it sorted.

What did he do with the old Timeclock? Hopefully managed to get the cables disconnected out of it back at the JB and left you to make good in the kitchen at a later date?

Both the timeclock and thermostat have been fully removed.

He fitted a faceplate where the timeclock was, which will eventually be tiled over when we do the kitchen and fixed/plastered where the old thermostat was so there's no remains of the old heating system in the kitchen/dining room anymore!!

Attachments

• IMG_5915.JPG
    IMG_5915.JPG
    1,013 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5916.JPG
    IMG_5916.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 83

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom