Help! Have Existing 705, Need to add a 706, 606 or 506

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by austinite, Feb 6, 2009.

1. austinite

austinite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoping for some help from the board, thanks in advance!

Just moved into a new house, and have two areas I need to outfit with systems--a family room that will also handle 4-5 zones of distributed audio, and a media room. I already have a 705 and love it, and actually ordered a refurbed 706 from shoponkyo.com but am having second thoughts on whether I really need that. Here is what I am hoping to do:

Family Room - have a Samsung 50" DLP with HD-DVR (720p model), ipod, cd player, potentially XBOX 360 or DVD player. Plus the whole house speakers. Planning on just sound bar for LCR speakers, and using in ceiling for rears.

Media Room - have a Sony 52" LCD with HD receiver (1080p), Bluray, and maybe the XBOX 360 depending on where I put it. The room is pre-wired for 7.1 and planning on either the new 706 or the old 705 to power everything. Looking at Niles HD6/HDCLR in wall/in ceiling speakers.

So my question is--do I really need the caliber of a 70- receiver in the family room if I am not pushing Bluray or more than a 720p signal from cable? I was looking at the specs for the 506 or even 606 and both look to have powered zone 2, and enough inputs for what I need. Not sure if I need the power of a 70- for the zone 2 use though?

What am I missing?