HELP! Has my Sky Box died?

southpaw

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

It was working this morning. This afternoon just a red light. I've unplugged and left for up to 20 minutes (many times) and still when I plug it back in it won't turn on (even tried using Remote!)

Its a Panasonic Sky box (not plus).

Any ideas? Or is it dead?

Follow the diagnostics suggestions on the Satcure site

It'll be the microprocessor - can be replaced but not really worth it unless you need the benefit of the low threshold tuner used in this receiver.

A. Dork

What do you suggest as replacement?

Don't want another 12 month contract so Sky+ is out.

Where is the best/ cheapest place to get a replacement (and which model) who also offer a warranty?

I echo the points made above about the Panasonic DSB-30. However, all may not be lost.

These boxes can be locked in standby and to all intents and purposes, dead in the water. I have known them inexplicably return to life after several days and then work fine thereafter though. People have even bought 'dead' one's off eBay for pennies and then found them to be working perfectly when delivered.

Don't throw it away just yet. Hang onto it, see if it resurrects and then plonk a cheap small heatsink & fan on the CPU - about a fiver or so. It may well perform well thereafter. They are a good performer with a reliable power supply, so worth a liitle persistence.

Alternatively - get your plastic out!

Steve

Steve999 said:
I echo the points made above about the Panasonic DSB-30. However, all may not be lost.

These boxes can be locked in standby and to all intents and purposes, dead in the water. I have known them inexplicably return to life after several days and then work fine thereafter though. People have even bought 'dead' one's off eBay for pennies and then found them to be working perfectly when delivered.

Don't throw it away just yet. Hang onto it, see if it resurrects and then plonk a cheap small heatsink & fan on the CPU - about a fiver or so. It may well perform well thereafter. They are a good performer with a reliable power supply, so worth a liitle persistence.

Alternatively - get your plastic out!

Steve

Possible, I agree. Highly unlikely though!

I have known them come back to life but never for very long, even with the cooling mod.

The Pace DS-430N is the only recommendation - can be bought for £130 or less.

A. Dork

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom