Help! :( Harmon Kardon 1510 no rear (surround sound) audio

Catweasel

Novice Member
Reaction score
So I spent several hours today helping, or trying to help a new mother (of a 1 month old) set up her AV and, even though I read the manual!! I failed. No rear audio!

Basically - she's got a HK DVD using a HDMI into the HK 1510 AV which them uses the primary HDMI into the back of her Samsung TV. After a while I got the front speakers (R, L and C) working, someone's already buggered up the sub-woofer (someone else had already tried to help and made things oh so much worse) so that's not in the loop right now. Anyhoo...as mentioned..

no rear (surround sound) audio. The test signal works so I know they're wired up and working. The DVD I used to test was Ice Age 4 (with all its 5.1 goodness) so I know the source is good. I double checked the DVD settings and it's all good - everything's set to auto where appropriate.

and no rear audio...If I had any hair, I'd be ripping it out by now.

Help? :)

FWIW I'm an ex-IT bloke and this isn't the first system I've set up but I'm not an audiophile, nor would I consider myself to be an expert - capable's the word I'd think about using if pushed :)

Help me to help her :) If your answer is successful, come to Vienna and I'll buy you a few pints of the black stuff :)

PS: This is my first post, so my most extravagant apologies if I've made a transgression.

Last edited:
Am I asking the wrong people? Or in the wrong place? :) Or is it worth waiting a bit longer before moving on?

What mode do you have the receiver set too? Is it set to stereo or 'pure' mode? Try cycling through the different surround modes like Dolby etc. to see if this helps.
Does the system have an auto setup and have you used it? If not did you set the levels for each speaker manually and was it with an SPL meter or just your ears?
What is wrong with the sub?

I'll try the cycle next time I'm at her place :)

It does have an auto setup, with a mic, used it twice, test tone fine, but that's the only time the rear speakers work. Same issue with a rough and ready manual setup - no dice.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom