Help - hamfisted damage to RF outlet on Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Scapegoat, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    During a recent shift round of AV equipment and the resultant unplugging ad replugging of cables I have managed to damage the RF2 socket on the back of my Sky+ box.

The central pin is missing and therefore the connections to other rooms are off.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it easy to fix yourself (I have an old Sky box I could 'canibilise' for parts)? Or is it something best left to an expert?

2. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    It all depends on handy/neat you are with a soldering iron...if you have the socket pin (which you will probably find inside the female end of one of your AV leads) and experience of soldering pcbs you should be okay....if not leave well alone and call your local TV repairman.
    Sky would charge you 65UKP to come out....a good TV repairman about half of that in my estimation.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If it's a Pace 3100, you can buy a complete new modulator for the Sky+ box from Satcure for £9.95 + P.& P.

Beware though ! Only one type of modulator can be field replaced - the other type has to go back to Pace (assuming it's a Pace) for repair. See this page for more information - look for PACE RF Modulator type 212-9100750 for BSKYB3100 Sky-Plus Digibox

4. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Thanks for the info, I have a PACE V2 Sky+ box - how do I know if this will work or not?

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,346
    Well the model no will be 3100 (check the label on the box) :rolleyes:

PACE RF Modulator type 212-9100750 for BSKYB3100 Sky-Plus Digibox (the thing with two RF output sockets).

Remove the cover and look for the number above on the modulator.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A Pace V2 is a 3100. Two different types of modulator fitted, though.

7. toneman

toneman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As a temp. solution can you not use the RF-OUT 1 connection as this will be the same output, but you do not get the 9v output to power a splitter box that feeds the other rooms. I did this once and used a seperate power supply for the splitter box when my 9v went down on the RF-OUT2.

If you use the RF-OUT for the main TV just split it off at this point. It may affect the quality of all the TV s but keep you going ?

8. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you are using a TV link in one of the rooms, why not use RF1 instead?

9. morganog

morganog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I did the same to my inlaws sky box when fitting an eye link system to another room.
    I called sky on her behalf and said that her picture kept freezing and she had to reset it to get it working again!
    They gave me the usual crap about the weather and stuff and logged it as a fault..
    Three days later i called again and they said they would send an engineer out at a cost of £75 just to look at it!!!
    I said no way as i had been a sky customer for more that 10 years and had never had any problems in the past i would wish to cancell as i cant afford it anymore!!
    They said ok we will replace the faulty box for £30
    So now she has a new box with a working RF2 output for £30

Happy!!!!

10. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    The feed goes to 2 TVs and uses a booster to get good PQ - the booster uses the power from the RF outlet, and I also use the eyelink.

Currently using the RF1 but due to length of cable etc PQ is poor without the booster.

Will have to open the box up and have a look.

Cheers

11. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Have opened the box up and unfortunately its not the modulator that according to Satcure can be replaced in the field.

The box is out of warranty, has a larger hard drive fitted, and is used almost daily (no standard TV aerial). So what options are open to me? Ideally I am looking for someone who can do the job quickly and for a good price.

I live in Yorkshire - anyone know anyone locally?