• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help - Half Of My Channels Lost!?!

joz8968

Established Member
HELP! Been a Sky Digital customer at my present address for over 6 years now... no problem receiving all the channels up till now...

Aargh! I cannot receive circa half of the channels - comes up with dialogue box "FOR YOUR INFORMATION 28 - No satellite signal is being received".

I checked the status of the two LNB inputs of the receiver and signal quality on Input 1 is a rock-solid 80%... but Input 2 sometimes is 0% and not locked (i.e. no signal) OR at c.60-70%? The fluctuation between these two states appears to be a bit random.

As a test, I swapped over the two coax feeds into the receiver, to see if the problem was with one side of the twin LNB or a fault with one of the inputs on the Sky Box. It would appear the latter, as the signal test on the inputs didn't alter - indicates both sections of the LNB are okay.

This leads me to believe that there's something up with the internal electronics to/from Input 2 - but that's just my amateurish guess. The only other thing I can think of, is that the channels that are dead may be of all the same polarity, either all H or all V...? I really am stumped.

Is there anyone that can shed some light on this really annoying situation (before I decide to spend a week trying to get through to Sky only to be told stuff I already know:suicide:)

Martin J.

Established Member
When you're just watching TV, the Sky box uses one LNB feed, the other is reserved for recording. In other words, when you channel hop it doesn't switch between one LNB feed and the other for different channels.

It sounds like either all the channels with horizontal polarity are down, or all the ones with vertical polarity. To check if it's both LNB feeds, try recording a "bad" channel while watching another, then see if that recording works.

You might want to cross-reference the transponder list - http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/skyuk.html - to determine if the problem is with those using a specific polarity.

Then the first thing to try is replacing the LNB, if that doesn't help it'll be the box.

joz8968

Established Member
Thanks Martin. Yeah, I realised I was talking crap about the two LNBs - I was just about to re-edit my post to get rid of the respective paragraphs :rolleyes:.

Many thanks for the channel list - I'll systematically go through them and see if a H or V pattern suddenly emerges.

I'll post what I come up with...

joz8968

Established Member
Well, it's definitely not a H or V problem - I am receiving channels of both polarities no problem.

Any ideas?

Martin J.

Established Member
Ummm... not many things I can think of left to try. Have you unplugged the box, reset it or forced a software download?

joz8968

Established Member
Done all of those... unplugged for 24h!!... forced software download from the secret menu, etc., etc...

Still the same :(...

Could it be a high- or low-band issue i.e. perhaps I'm not recieving channels requiring either the 22kHz tone or not? Thing is, I can't remember the frequency 'to-from' parameters that constitute both high and low - do you know?...

chrise

Established Member
Could it be a high- or low-band issue i.e. perhaps I'm not recieving channels requiring either the 22kHz tone or not? Thing is, I can't remember the frequency 'to-from' parameters that constitute both high and low - do you know?...

I think Low band is 10.7 to 11.7GHz and Hi 11.7 to 12.75GHz with the 22kHz tone switches LNB to Hi band. It could be a cause but the fault maybe in the tuner not generating the tone for the LNB to switch.

dspa1

Established Member
ive got the same issue.

Only seeing some of my channels

Its apparent when trying to watch a channel and record another. I either get , cant watch channel or recording of program does not happen!

chaparral

Prominent Member
My skyHD box does this every few days...

To get it working again,I need to disconnect the power cable for 30seconds and then plug it back in.........

Doing a Sky+ planner rebuild also fixes this problem for me...

joz8968

Established Member
Well, you're 'lucky' then (depending on how you look at it ;)). Me, and quite a few others, have, patently, knackered digiboxes, full-stop :mad:...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom