HELP- green spot in middle of LG OLED

it is probably because of extensive cpu heat. LG need to work on the cooling better or to separate electronics from the panel. this is 7 series. Dont know about 8 or 9.

View attachment 1202908

Hmm seeing the pictures it makes sense but why did it happen after a year and not right away? All of a sudden i see it appear within the last 3 weeks it was not gradual?

this is not mine, mine is ok 18 months old but average 5-6 hours a day on. This was friends panel before replacement 21 months old and heavy usage. Heat probably over time burn pixels, it does not happen right away.

Just want to add my 55 inch LG OLED to this growing list of crap TVs. Mine has the exact same issue of green blob in the middle of yellow screen. Happened just after the years warranty aswell. Contacted LG over a few months and they refused to take responsibility. They said it was screen burn but It definitely is not! Approached Currys where i bought it but they said they couldn't do anything because i fidnt buy their extended warranty but I could appeal to their head office. I thought I was paying big money for a quality tv that would last me years. So disappointed. Shame on you LG. Has anyone here who had their panel replaced by LG due to a design fault etc got anything in writing that I can put forward a case to them?

Do NOT buy LG! Guess I will embrace Samsung QLED. Just got off phone with their customer service, in India, I assume. What a joke! I purchased my OLED65C6P on eBay from a reputable distributor. However not authorized dealer. Was purchased on eBay because LG quit making 3D TVs and I wanted an OLED 3D set before they were no more. Heard that LG made great OLEDs but I guess not. They will not curtesy repair my set because of it being an eBay purchase. They say we can not see if product was truly a new LG product so they won’t honor my request. So if you purchased their tv anywhere other than LG authorized dealer your out of luck.
Quality- I expected a TV to last more than 18 months to 2 years. Ever set I have purchased other than LG has lasted way longer than this piece of crap. They lost my business and my family’s business. I guess they could care less. LG I suggest you change “Life is Good” to “Low Grade products”. The green tint makes most things annoying to watch. So much that I’m taking the TV down and placing old one until I get a new set.

If anyone figures a way to fix issue please message. Or if you know a cost effective way other than an expensive repair via LG please message.

Attachments

• 76A755C2-6602-4493-8D8B-05442398FBA4.jpeg
    76A755C2-6602-4493-8D8B-05442398FBA4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 328
  • 7B81EA12-94A8-4B94-BD8D-552E610D988B.jpeg
    7B81EA12-94A8-4B94-BD8D-552E610D988B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 296
  • CA3374A9-AFA9-48A9-B80C-42456D4425DE.jpeg
    CA3374A9-AFA9-48A9-B80C-42456D4425DE.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 294
  • 506C809F-8BBF-4A9C-B577-1546AB1CCE74.jpeg
    506C809F-8BBF-4A9C-B577-1546AB1CCE74.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 275
Hi all,

what colour test screen is best to see if my oled panel is suffering any issues before my warranty rune out.

Thanks folks.

Thanks Joelhr,

would you download a youtube colour pallet or is there something inbuit, or maybe a colour pallet on a program i can put on a memory stick?

Red, green, blue, yellow, white, grey

Thanks Joelhr,

would you download a youtube colour pallet or is there something inbuit, or maybe a colour pallet on a program i can put on a memory stick?

This one. You can just play it on a mobile and cast it to the TV to save you having to find it :)

Yellow was the worst on mine. I gave up on LG in the end, it seemed everytime I thought I'd get it sorted they wanted more from me.

I gave up when they wanted an engineers report. More than happy with a Samsung 65" Q80R now.

This one. You can just play it on a mobile and cast it to the TV to save you having to find it :)

Yellow was the worst on mine. I gave up on LG in the end, it seemed everytime I thought I'd get it sorted they wanted more from me.

I gave up when they wanted an engineers report. More than happy with a Samsung 65" Q80R now.

Wow thats sad news. I contacted LG for my problem about 2 days ago. Waiting back for a call. After I uploaded pictures of my reciept the rep said “you do know your tv is past the year mark?”. What an excuse I thought. So basically their OLED tv’s are only meant to last 1 year before having a problem like this??? The rep said he will send my request to engeneering department for aproval. I’m guessing since I’m past 1 year and 3 weeks they will not care. I absolutely did not abuse my tv at all. I don’t game and do not watch news channels with static content. To me it looks like a manufacturing defect of some sort. I should have listened and went with a traditional LED tv. These OLED’s although look great they are too vulnerable to have something happen to them. I saw a Samsung Q80 at Best Buy the other day and compared the black levels to the OLED’s near by and I was super impressed. I spent nearly $2500 on this B7A, I should have listened.

Last edited:
Did they resolve it for you? From what I gather they have been better in the USA.

If only LG had resolved it for the few people in this thread, then it wouldn't exist. Instead I just show this to anyone considering buying an LG OLED on forums. I am sure it has cost them more than it would have if they just replaced my panel/tv.

Did they resolve it for you? From what I gather they have been better in the USA.

If only LG had resolved it for the few people in this thread, then it wouldn't exist. Instead I just show this to anyone considering buying an LG OLED on forums. I am sure it has cost them more than it would have if they just replaced my panel/tv.

I was finally able to reach someone at LG a rep was able to get a courtesy repair approved and was able to get an appointment for repair for my B7A but there was a problem today when the LG repair came over. Even though the repair was approved he said there were no replacement panels available for my TV to complete the repair. He had to do an RA. I asked him what that meant and from what I can gather it meant my TV was going to be returned to LG and a replacement was to be supplied? All he said was I would recieve a call fom LG. He didnt really explain in detail what would happen as his job was only to do the repair. Has anybody gone through this? Will I be given a new TV? A refurbished TV? And I have no idea how long I will be waiting for a solution.

There was no panel available for my TV repair, then suddenly one turned up. I don't think they know their arse from their elbows....

There was no panel available for my TV repair, then suddenly one turned up. I don't think they know their arse from their elbows....

For my tv there was no panel in stock and in addition to thar there was no eta of when it would be available. The tech just did an RA and went his way. I don’t understand why they need to order a replacement panel is it not just cheaper for them to get an entirely new tv?

It's bizarre. I suppose they save a few pounds not fitting new electronics/speakers etc.
The bigger issue is why these panels get the green splodge in the first place.
Hopefully this won't affect future panels as i fully expect my replacement panel to do the same at some point.
I've turned down the OLED light a little and turn the TV off when not in use.
I love the picture, but it has to last longer than they are doing.

It's bizarre. I suppose they save a few pounds not fitting new electronics/speakers etc.
The bigger issue is why these panels get the green splodge in the first place.
Hopefully this won't affect future panels as i fully expect my replacement panel to do the same at some point.
I've turned down the OLED light a little and turn the TV off when not in use.
I love the picture, but it has to last longer than they are doing.

Yes that was my thought too. If they replace the panel on the tv the same thing will happen again in another year. I think these OLED tv’s although use a unique technology are just too delicate. You have to baby the tv’s and even when you do it still breaks. It’s no wonder Samsung decided to drop the technology and go a different route. The other day I went to BestBuy and saw a Samsung QLED Q80R and was amazed how similar the glass on the tv was compared to the sony oleds near by. The glass had the same glossiness as the OLEDs. They appeared to have almost the same deep dark blacks. Don’t get me wrong I love the picture the OLED produces but I had no idea at the time when I bought my B7A that OLEDs where prone to burn in. I was also not aware that these tvs dimmed automatically. When I was shopping for my tv I was wanting to buy a cheaper Vizio P Series tv and ended up spending more than twice the amount. I was lured by the OLED reputation thinking I was buying the best tech money can buy. I don’t know if i had done some research beforehand and knew about the drawbacks of OLED tvs i would have bought one. I think I would have bought a QLED instead. How can a darn tv that is almost costs $3000 break in a year? I dont know what happened to mytv. The LG repair guy tried to blame me thinking i abused it but I did no such thing

Last edited:
The only trouble when comparing OLED v LCD(LED) in a shop is the light levels.
The LCDs tend to look great with plenty of lighting. It's when you get them home you start noticing the shortfalls. They have plenty of issues that people cannot live with.
I have other LCDs around the house and they do a great job. But for critical watching it's OLED for me.
I'm afraid for me at the moment, OLEDs are the only option for the best all round picture.
I believe they have tried to address the green splodge problem in later TVs by changing the red pixels.
Only time will tell if they have been successful...

Last edited:
Update. 800 support to India was totally useless. Even sent me an email saying my request for a manager or USA support was denied. Posted pictures and what was wrong on Facebook messenger and was almost immediately helped by someone in the USA. 30 minutes later they called me and advised a tech was coming to change out the panel at no cost. WONDERFUL!! So relieved. Technician already called and said he ordered the part and it would be 2 to 4 days.
So what’s the trick? Just message LG through Facebook? I was told over the phone they will not repair it because it is out of warranty. I bought mine just a month before you did. I just messaged them on Facebook, I hope it works!

Attachments

• C7D11497-A7BC-43B5-A4C4-CC5A62808BAD.jpeg
    C7D11497-A7BC-43B5-A4C4-CC5A62808BAD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 757
Just a quick update on what’s going on with my B7A. I contacted the tech that came by to see my tv and I asked him what was going on because I had not recieved any call from LG like he said. He then told me that LG was still processing the RA. Then today all of a sudden I get a call from Fedex saying that they have a package from LG that is to be delivered to my home. Didn’t know what to say since the tech told me he did an RA and was not getting a repair panel but some kind of refund since they had no repair panels in stock. Now Fedex is telling me there is a package from LG ready to be delivered? I imagine this is not a replacement tv coming in. So I contact the tech that originally came to my home and told him that there was a package from LG being delivered via fedex and he says to call him when it does so he can come in to install it. I imagine this is a new repair panel notba new tv. Very bad communication right from the start with LG. I think this will be my last LG and the only OLED i will purchase. I still cant believe a tv that cost me almost $3000 cant last past a year without problems. Will post how the panel repair goes when done.

I would like to point out that since posting my photos here a few weeks ago and waiting for LG to repair the tv I have noticed that the dark spot in the center of my tv has progressively gone darker and has been spreading outward. i’m also seeing things appear that I didnt see before. For example I can see artifacs that look like paint blotches. I have been trying to figure out what I have been watching that would cause them to burn in like that and leave blotchs and I cannot see any pattern of something static I’ve have been watching that would cause those blotches. It doesn’t look to me like burnin caused it. It almost seems like the blotches I see is a failure of the panel of some kind. Out of curiousity I took a close up picture of the pixels with my phone and i can see some pixels have dimmed at the center of the screen. It appears almost like these pixels are dying. If you take a look at the close up of the pixels you can see the bottom looks fine but as you move up the screen the pixels become darker and you can even see some individual pixels are so dim that they look like they stand out from the rest.

Attachments

• 08454647-5247-4F56-BC17-905649C6A7AE.jpeg
    08454647-5247-4F56-BC17-905649C6A7AE.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 447
I would like to give an update on my issue. Fedex delivered replacement panel for my B7A today so I called tech to have him drop by to repair tv. When he unpacks the replacement OLED panel I see that the panel was bent in half and warped! We also notice that the display panel was packaged (not shipped) upside down. That means whoever packaged the panel originally put it inside the box upside down! I asked the tech why LG didnt just ship me a new tv with all this trouble. I imagine its way cheaper to do a repair for LG cause it saves them money. But still they go through all that trouble, send in a 65 pound replacement OLED panel and ship it upside down in a beatup box. Originally the tech had done an RA which would have refunded me for the price of the tv ($2500+) but I guess someone working at LG has a job of not approving RA’s as they were able to locate a repair panel. Looking at the beatup replacement panel box right now I say that’s pretty bad to have to make a customer wait so long with a faulty OLED tv when they could of just gave me a new tv. Making the poor tech come again what will be a total of 3 times already to my home. Now will have to wait another 3 weeks still they locate another replacement panel. And i sure hope they dont send another panel packaged upside down. Overall pretty bad experience with LG both with their product and their repair service. Tech said i would be given a call by LG and someone else who will pickup the faulty replacement panel. I hope LG does call me because it’s difficult for them to communicate.

Attachments

• CE7B1A29-AFDD-4BC4-92CB-1F81A119E942.jpeg
    CE7B1A29-AFDD-4BC4-92CB-1F81A119E942.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 402
  • B362DCC2-DF75-49F4-8BC1-7F2584A614C2.jpeg
    B362DCC2-DF75-49F4-8BC1-7F2584A614C2.jpeg
    891.9 KB · Views: 384
  • 296AE9D9-3C77-44B2-A264-23CCE058429D.jpeg
    296AE9D9-3C77-44B2-A264-23CCE058429D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 425
  • E1CFA8AD-4BBD-420E-A9CC-696E1FA347CC.jpeg
    E1CFA8AD-4BBD-420E-A9CC-696E1FA347CC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 402
  • 8AFA527C-CFB4-4E6A-8288-9EC5F5B14DC3.jpeg
    8AFA527C-CFB4-4E6A-8288-9EC5F5B14DC3.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 424
Here you can see the OLED panel was packaged upside down which caused it to warp and bend at the center. A 60+ pound panel is pretty heavy. You can see pictures here the panel doesnt didnt sit flat at one side which I noticed right away. On close inspection it seemed like its almost half inch deviation and a crack occured to the aluminum at the center where the electronics section begins. These panels are really thin! If LG is able to locate another panel will it also ship upside down and will it be warped too? I think it’s pretty d*** why LG just risks sending another 60+ pound panel via fedex freight just to have the same thing happen. These replacement panels do not come packaged like new tv’s at a retail store it seems like not well thoughout packaging to me. I don’t know if i should talk to LG about helping with a refund instead because i don’t know what I would do if i recieve another panel that is warped.

Attachments

• 70A0277E-3F40-4B16-8510-7ABE6FA108F8.jpeg
    70A0277E-3F40-4B16-8510-7ABE6FA108F8.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 440
  • 333F1AA7-9837-41F1-B2E7-EDA0E947B029.jpeg
    333F1AA7-9837-41F1-B2E7-EDA0E947B029.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 391
  • 9F6C8AA7-87F0-46AB-A281-4CCE8ADCB934.jpeg
    9F6C8AA7-87F0-46AB-A281-4CCE8ADCB934.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 387
Thanks for the updates @avatuar99. Had a service appt today to replace panel, but tech also advised of panel back order and that he'd submit an RA. Curious how things will go.

Thanks for the updates @avatuar99. Had a service appt today to replace panel, but tech also advised of panel back order and that he'd submit an RA. Curious how things will go.

Yeah I think maybe it’s standard procedure for techs to mark it as RA when there is a backorder and no ETA of when one would be available, then the RA has to be approved. The last thing they want to do is do an RA because that would mean giving you a full refund for the purchase price which would cost them. Depending on how long it takes to find a replacement panel, especially if it’s a very long delay, you might attempt to convince them it’s been a long time to repair and they might possibly give you a refund. But from what I have been reading getting a check in the mail from LG might take a month or more possibly because there is a whole process of having a shipping company come out to pickup yoir faulty tv first and then it sits in a warehouse somewhere waiting for inspection and then it takes them a while to cut you a check. Inconvenient either way.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom