HELP- green spot in middle of LG OLED

WozzaB

Hi all.

I’m from Mexico and also noticed this issue on my 55 B6, it’s been three years since I bought it and last couple of months we started noticing people’s faces looked green, I did further research and it seems it’s a common issue, did the yellow pattern test and confirmed it.

Already requested LG assistance and a technician came do to some tests, he basically said this is burn-in (It isn’t) and that it’s usual behavior because of use (he even mentioned using Netflix and playing games), guess you just can’t use this tv for watching anything.

As the TV is out of warranty the cost to repair it is about 3K (more than what it actually cost). LG is refusing to do anything, already had calls with different people and they said they will send my comments to quality department, but they’re adamant is normal.

It’s just really disappointing, I’m PRO-OLED, really like this TV but it seems it’s an unreliable technology, I still have PLASMA, LCD, LED TV’s and didn’t experienced this issue before, not confident in getting another one if LG it’s not going to stick and fix it, this is clearly a design issue, not caused by burn-in.
Well looking at all the reports of the issue, I would still go back to LG and argue that it is a design fault and therefore should be repaired without any cost to you. You could link this thread as clear evidence that it's a well known issue and LG have accepted this and have repaired many TV's at their own expense.

WozzaB

Well my TV was collected Monday and I got a call yesterday afternoon to say it has had a new panel fitted and will be back with me today before 4pm. I'll need to check the panel for any obvious uniformity/banding issues, but so far so good!

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
This is so poor. Can't believe people are having to fight LG over this, looks like a clear issue with this OLED design.

WozzaB

TV delivered back to me this afternoon, new panel fitted, all looks good so far.
20201007_153625.jpg

Just did a few quick tests before peeling the protective film off the front.

Not happy this has happened, but I guess I can't argue with a 48hr turnaround on the repair.

Last edited:

HDIBULL

Novice Member
Congrats WoozaB! Believe me I tried their chat, calling, requesting a repair and LG’s response was always the same: the product is out of warranty, expected behavior, no courtesy repairs, before this debacle I was going to buy a new OLED but I don’t think I will be going with LG, might try contacting US support to see if they’re able to help.

WozzaB

Congrats WoozaB! Believe me I tried their chat, calling, requesting a repair and LG’s response was always the same: the product is out of warranty, expected behavior, no courtesy repairs, before this debacle I was going to buy a new OLED but I don’t think I will be going with LG, might try contacting US support to see if they’re able to help.
I think it's worth trying everything, try LG US head office, or look for the contact info for LG Headquarters in South Korea. Make them aware that you know it's a design fault with the TV, link as much info as you can. Hopefully you'll get somewhere with them.

PDogg

Standard Member
Have you tried the link used by
Parkesy78
on the previous page?

Lexie2124

Novice Member
Just joined after searching for this issue. I bought my OLED55B7A in 2017. I had the green blob in October 2018, March 2019, August 2019 and now April 2020. Three times they've replaced the screen. I'm pleased that they made the repairs at no charge but I'm angry that they seem to be content just to kick the can down the road. I have no confidence in getting another screen replacement. I'm not a gamer, I don't watch excessively, I avoid shows with the bright logos in the corner of the screen. I'm very disappointed because the picture is fantastic when it doesn't have the blob. It's made me want to return to the regular old LED/LCD.

experienceUK

Novice Member
Had the same problem with my OLED55B7V

Rang Curry’s who were brilliant, arranged for it to be collected next day for repair with an estimated 7 day return So hopefully will have it back next week

The guys who collected it said they had collected the same TV on the previous job collection, the guy i spoke to at Currys said it was quite a common problem.

I was dreading dealing with Curry’s and wished I had purchased at John Lewis / Richer Sounds, however Curry’s have been great so far - Looking at some of the previous replies John Lewis and Richer Sounds have handled this poorly

Attachments

Last edited:

Thurrin

Novice Member
I stumbled across this forum having the same issue as most with a large green hue/spot at the centre of my LG TV. I purchased my 55" OLED55C7V in March 2018 but only recently noticed the issue. There is a smaller green spot at the bottom left of my screen and a couple of short horizonal bars just underneath the central hue. Furthermore the red Netflix logo is also a little visible under colour testing around the bottom right area.

With my TV out of warranty I was naturally concerned about any potential cost implications but having read through the forum, I'm happy to report that after reporting the issue to LG via their repair portal as advised by Parkesy78, I received an e-mail a day later asking for pictures of the problem along with a copy of my receipt. Having attached the necessary pictures I fired off my e-mail to LG, including a link to the RTINGS YouTube video that Parkesy78 had mentioned as well as stressing that this was a manufacturing issue which they have since changed.

(A heads up: It would appear that the images you attach on the LG repair portal are not 'logged' by LG, nor my initial detailed message about the issue. Be sure to save or re-write your detailed message in your e-mail to LG when they request the pictures and copy of your receipt. The customer service rep could not locate the images I attached and could only see I had reported a visual green spot issue.)

A day later and LG replied stating they had accepted my repair request and that I would be received a call from their booking team within 14 days to arrange for a repair. I'm currently waiting for their call (having received the e-mail yesterday) but I'd like to thank everyone on the forum for highlighting and sharing their experiences with LG and this issue. I'll post an update when a repair is arranged etc.

Yellow Screen Image.jpg Orange Screen Image.jpg Pink Screen Image.jpg

[Note: I have also noticed that the green hue seems to be increasing in size/area since I first noticed it.]

Family

I started my complaints procedure on the 15th July. After sending pictures to LG they confirmed that my panel needs replacing but they will not collect the TV. They no longer respond to any communication. So, although first stating that they would replace it for £200, it seems they aren't interested. This is the only time I have purchased an LG product, and obviously my last. Terrible customer service.

denis1501

My 55C8PLA from Sept 2018 has developed a green horizontal line.......I'm gutted. Only good thing is that it's near the bottom of the screen. So disappointing.

CharlieR

Standard Member
LG OLED 55B7V purchased may 2018 from Currys with a 5 year Team Knowhow guarantee. About a month ago noticed on some programmes, namely news programmes the newsreaders face had a green tinge to it, not all of them with some regularly greener than others.
Thought nothing of it then the tinge got worse, again not on all programmes
Then on the bottom left corner of the screen there is a burn in of what looks like a head with lines going across the bottom of the screen, this only shows in red, yellow backgrounds. I have tried restore function on this but it still remains
Reading through the posts on here what is my best course of action with Currys to get this attended too

Kemp86

Novice Member
I have the same problem starting now with my OLED55C7V, the repair request on the LG BENELUX website is blocked and they tell me to call some number. When I contact LG they say they are following UNETO guidelines. They are offering me a >900EUR repair for a tv I bought 3 years ago at 2499EUR. Anybody has any experience with LG Benelux?
IMG_4700.JPG

barneystuta

Not posted on here for a while and looking for some feedback relating to John Lewis.

I got the standard "that is screen burn through missuse" response. I challenged it and they offered an engineer, but if screen burn, I have to pay.

I am considering trading standards to be honest. Here is why:

- It is not a burnt in logo. I've followed the manufacturer instructions, regularly screen refresh, and watch mixed content.

- I acknowledge their website says screen burn now. I do not recall this at the time of purchase. The only evidence of my warranty I have is by email. No mention of screen burn exclusion.

- They may rely on:

Deliberate damage to or neglect of the product or failure to follow the manufacturer's
instructions and/or installation guidelines
Which, frankly, is absurd. If using a TV is missuse, yeah, OK.

So my thoughts are:

1. Acknowledge the website says screen burn exclusion now, ask for evidence it did at point of purchase.

2. Reiterate my evidence of the guarantee I have by email.

3. If I get the same response, I go to trading standards.

My TV was £2,500 and, like many here, feel it is wrong that John Lewis are loopholing out of it.

Has anyone had success with Trading Standards involved? Or tried? I am doing everything by email, so will have an audit trail.

Also - I believe LG publicly acknowledged the issue on 2017 panels. Is there a link to this please?

PDogg

Standard Member
links are on in this thread and and rtings screen burn video. Was it the report that your engineering company gave them to say it is screen burn?

If so do what i did and speak to someone at the engineering company who knows what they are talking about, send yellow screen pics and get them to confirm its a panel defect. Its what i did and after a week of tooing and froing JL refunded my original purchase price.

ColdnFrosty

Novice Member
LG has extended their warranty on their OLED panels from one year to two years for parts and labor and two years to four years for parts for just this reason. I had my "green on yellow" panel replaced this week on my OLED55C7. The techs came in and removed the TV from the wall mount, installed the new panel, and remounted it. Total cost was $200 since my TV fell outside the two year max for free labor. The new panel has a different design to the one item mounted in the center. The replacement process involved removing everything from the back of the old panel, and reinstalling on the new panel. Pretty quick process - less than 30 min.

neilkav

Hi all,

I’ve stumbled across this forum post and glad I did, I thought I was the only one with this issue. My 55C6V bought from curry’s in March 2017 has had a green horizontal line about 8-10cm wide across the whole screen at the bottom. I’ve followed the UK link to report problem to LG. How quickly should I expect an email acknowledgment from them?

Thanks in advance Neil.

neilkav

Hi, so LG called me today and simply said ... no ... we don’t consider it a manufacturer fault, can anyone advise what my next step should be? Appreciate any advice..

PDogg

Standard Member
Hi all,

I’ve stumbled across this forum post and glad I did, I thought I was the only one with this issue. My 55C6V bought from curry’s in March 2017 has had a green horizontal line about 8-10cm wide across the whole screen at the bottom. I’ve followed the UK link to report problem to LG. How quickly should I expect an email acknowledgment from them?

Thanks in advance Neil.
Do you have a picture of your panel with a yellow screen background?

A green line sounds like a dead pixel. This threat is aimed not a screen burn or dead pixels, but a manufacturing defect, which is known to LG on 2017 models and they admitted to rtings as well, the defect cuase my something they did wrong in the manufacturing process causes heat issue, which then leads to a greenish blob in the middle of the screen as a result.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett