1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help: ?Green Screen?PS2 DVD to Component or S-Video

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kevster, Apr 2, 2003.

1. kevster

kevster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I connect my PS2 (which acts as my DVD player) to my Philips 8807 TV using a Component connection will I get the dreaded 'green screen' effect when playing DVD's.
    If so I will go for an S-Video connetion. Either way I plan on using Monster cables from the US which seem to have extremely good reviews.

I understand the green effect happens with an RGB connection so another direct question is whether Component is in fact RGB?

2. TimD

TimD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    DVD RegionX will remove the green tint and let you play R1 DVDs.
    I'd get a copy and the component cable if I were you.

3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

I don't know if the PS2 has a component output or not (someone will let us know soon, I'm sure) but component isn't the same thing as rgb. If your tv doesn't have a component input then you can't use it.

The 'green' picture is probably the Y video channel going into the (rgb) green input.

Brian

4. TimD

TimD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It has both component and standard RGBs you can select which one it outputs in one of the menus, I've had mine hooked using both methods.

The green screen effect was deliberately introduced to the European model so that Sony didn't ruin their own DVD player business.

DVD Region X will bypass whatever they did and play though RGBs scart or Component without the green tint.

Tim

5. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just to be even more explicit.

If you are using component cables, you need to change the output option on the PS2 dashboard to YBR. You will then not suffer from the green screen.