Help - going mad!

W

whiteboybob

I have a Toshiba 36ZD26 TV and an ancient Yamaha DVD player with s-video to scart output. The picture quality is amazing - it is so clear!!!

Now the bad bit. I have a Toshiba SD330E DVD (I got for my region 1 DVDs) and I've just bought a Sony DAVSC5 home cinema kit. They are both scart to scart and I get a crap picture compared to the Yamaha. Everyone I know says scart is much better than s-video, but I can't get a decent picture with mine. I've tried everything and it is driving me crazy.

The picture has slight ghosting/interference when there are scenes in films with lots of grass or tree branches, that kind of thing.

Any ideas anyone???

Please help:)

scart isnt actually a tranmission standard on its own..... it can be set to transmit as svideo/rgb or what have you..... so how are you using it?

ad

is the tv set to rgb and are you connecting to the appropriate scarts? (many tvs seem to only have perhaps one of their scarts rgb enabled)

ad

I'm just going to check that I can do RGB to RGB on the TV. I know that at least one of the scart sockets on the TV is RGB. I'll double check that I'm going to the right one.

I know my Yamaha can only use one of the 3 scart sockets on the TV as it's the only one that can be set to s-video.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Originally posted by whiteboybob
I'm just going to check that I can do RGB to RGB on the TV. I know that at least one of the scart sockets on the TV is RGB. I'll double check that I'm going to the right one.

I know my Yamaha can only use one of the 3 scart sockets on the TV as it's the only one that can be set to s-video.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Well, the scart sockets on the TV are AV or S-Video only. But I do have a component connection as well.

Then you can connect the 330 via the components which should be better still.

if your tv cant do rgb scart, then this explains the quality :) so either set the scart to s-video or even better, use the components like weirdfish says

ad

Originally posted by buns
if your tv cant do rgb scart, then this explains the quality :) so either set the scart to s-video or even better, use the components like weirdfish says

ad

I set the TV to s-video and the DVD to RGB, but the picture got a lot worse, and I lost the colour. So, I was thinking what I want to do is send the picture and stereo audio to the TV via a component connection. Do you think the QED AV14 Scart to 3 RCA is the one to get?

The TV's scarts are 3x Euroscart. "Widely used in Europe the 21-pin SCART connector has been around since the late 80's It can carry Composite, S-Video or RGB video signals as well as stereo audio."

I don't have component out from my Sony DAVSC5 (which has the Prologic II DTS amp and all my speakers). The Tosh has component out, but I don't have an amp for that one.

Cheers

I think you may have got confused...... you need to have the tv scart set to the same thing as the dvd is outputting. So you should set both to s-video.

I dont know about switching but i can tell you that component wont do the audio.... you need a separate cable for audio.

ad

It may sound silly but are you using a fully wired scart?
If it is only a cheap one it may only handle basic video, my Panasonic auto detects and displays RGB whilst my Dad's Sony needs a button press to engage it.

Ged

Originally posted by Ged
It may sound silly but are you using a fully wired scart?
If it is only a cheap one it may only handle basic video, my Panasonic auto detects and displays RGB whilst my Dad's Sony needs a button press to engage it.

Ged
Not a silly question at all. It's actually a pretty expensive scart, I went for a top of the range one this time to make sure the picture was as good as I could get.

After fiddling around with with image settings on the TV I've managed to improve the picture a bit, but it's still not up to the s-video quality. The TV says it auto detects and when my DVD is set to RGB then the TV will pick it up.

I guess I'm going to have to live with what I feel is and inferior picture. I know everyone here will disagree with me, but I've shown serval friends of mine s-video vs scart(RGB) and they all think s-video is a much, much sharper and clearer image.

I think you may have got confused...... you need to have the tv scart set to the same thing as the dvd is outputting. So you should set both to s-video.

I dont know about switching but i can tell you that component wont do the audio.... you need a separate cable for audio.

ad
You're right, I was getting confused. I set the DVD to RGB and the TV to AV (as I have no s-video setting on the Sony) and the picture is back to how I started.

I think it must be the TV as both the Tosh and Sony look great on my brother's TV. I don't know why the Yamaha on s-video is so sharp and crisp on my TV though?!?!? Seems inconsistent. maybe the Toshiba TV's aren't good with RGB signals, I don't know.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

It doesnt make much sense, but these things can happen! perhaps something in the RGB chain isnt doing its job right, but if svideo works better, thats the one to go for!

oh..... hold on..... thought in my mind..... you use the tosh only for region 1? That being the case, im not sure RGB is really used for this, component video is the american connection..... so i could understand it not seeming altogether right. What do PAL region 2 discs look like on the tosh? Still inferior to the yamaha?

ad

Toshiba set's do seem to give a better PQ via S-vid than RGB, but you should still get a good Picture with RGB.

Check youre manual for the TV and make sure you have got the scart socket to accept RGB.
Normally it is AV1 = RGB, S-Vid, Composite (Video).
AV2 = S-Vid, Composite (Video).
AV3 = S-Vid, Composite (Video).
AV4 = 3x RCA connections ( Component).

Maybe if you are not getting a good Pic on AV1 (EXT1), you might be getting RF brake through on youre scart cable and might need to snip pin 19.
Might be worth seeing if you can get a RGB only scart cable and trying that.........if it's still the same then the TV is at fault.

I've just ordered a Toshiba 330 DVD player so I'm familiar with the connections. The best way to connect this is to use a 3 RCA to 3 RCA cable. (I'm assuming your TV takes component in through 3 RCA plugs.) This will do the picture only. For sound, assuming you are using your TV, and the TV has sockets for left/right RCA plugs, use an ordinary hi-fi 2 RCA to 2 RCA cable. (If you are using an amplifier for sound then you should be able to use the optical or coax connections.)

As a test, you can set the Toshiba to put out S-Video (via its Scart) and plug it into the same TV Scart that you are getting a good quality picture from using your other DVD player. This will show you how good the Toshiba is (compared to the other player) and how good the component picture will be when you get that cable (probably better and certainly no worse than S-Video via Scart.) I suggest testing using the same socket because most TVs with more than one Scart will only take S-video through one of them.

Some very good points/ideas.

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll try those tonight and let you know how I get on. :)

It doesnt make much sense, but these things can happen! perhaps something in the RGB chain isnt doing its job right, but if svideo works better, thats the one to go for!

oh..... hold on..... thought in my mind..... you use the tosh only for region 1? That being the case, im not sure RGB is really used for this, component video is the american connection..... so i could understand it not seeming altogether right. What do PAL region 2 discs look like on the tosh? Still inferior to the yamaha?

ad

Yeah the PAL/region 2 discs have the same image quality issue.

I was also thinking today that maybe I could use component to connect the Tosh DVD to the TV for the image and then run the audio through the Sony DAVSC5 (as I basically bought it for the amp and speakers). Is this doable? The Sony has 2 video in connections with 3 RCA sockets each. I maybe just confusing myself again though!!!! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by chris
Toshiba set's do seem to give a better PQ via S-vid than RGB, but you should still get a good Picture with RGB.

Check youre manual for the TV and make sure you have got the scart socket to accept RGB.

Maybe if you are not getting a good Pic on AV1 (EXT1), you might be getting RF brake through on youre scart cable and might need to snip pin 19.
Might be worth seeing if you can get a RGB only scart cable and trying that.........if it's still the same then the TV is at fault.

Thanks - you're right about the TV. AV1 thru AV4 are exactly what you say. I'll try changing which AV sockets I'm using - see what I get. As far as picture goes, I'm very picky. I think some of my friends (my wife definitely!) thinks I'm fussing over nothing, but I'm sure you guys appreciate where I'm coming from.

Originally posted by chris

YAY - SUCCESS :clap:

I can't believe I didn't try AV1 :rolleyes: You were absolutely right, AV1 is the only one with RGB, so when I switched from AV2 to AV1 for the Sony DAVSC5 the picture improved a great deal.

Now I'll route my digibox through the Sony DAVSC5 as well. I'll try and get my Tosh (R1 DVD player) to use the Sony for the audio and use the s-video setting for the video - until I buy some component leads!

I can't thank you all enough for your help and suggestions. I am now a VERY happy man!!!! :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom