1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help glasgow boy get a sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Korben Dallas, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody know where I can get the MJ pro Acoustics 50 or 100 or any other similar standard subs in Glasgow. I tried richer and they don't stock them. Theres a seven oaks that does but it is so incredibly snobby in there , with there we look down on you peasant type staff. There must be other retailers out there. Before you say , I dont want to power buy cos I would rather just go into a shop , buy one and take it home.

thanks in advance

2. BK Electronics

BK Electronics
    Active Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I just took a look at the MJA website, and there is a Sevenoaks in glassgow Tel 0141 3329655

Hope this helps

3. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know where it is cos I used to live a minute away from it and because of that I know theres no parking so I have to park it on the side street somewhere. Now one of 2 things will happen. i will get mugged when they see me carry the sub out or my car will have disappeared as some local liked it.
    Also like i say I went in it when I was looking around for a tv and found them to be rather snobby people working in it

4. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to disagree about Sevenoaks in Glasgow. I got really great service from them. I have had some TV problems in my time (see my other posts!) but each time they have been very helpful. Ask for Andy he is a top bloke and not snobby in the slightest.
    I also don't live too far away from it and I have to say you have painted a poor picture of the area. No where near as bad as you made out and just minutes from the west end with its many great pubs. Go have a pint or two and then head to Sevenoaks, that'll help you spend the money!!:D

Don't suppose your after a KEF PSW2000 by any chance? :)

Cheers

5. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after the MJ acoustics pro 50 but now would like the pro 100 . I moved from there cos it turned into scum bag city . I used to live at dunearn st right were azad video was or still is.

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    There are some well regarded dealers in Glasgow.
    Stereo Stereo and Loud & Clear are both excellent.
    Eric

7. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe i should explain the sevenokas snobby comment . I am an asian and when I walked in they gave me a look like are you in the right place . Can you afford what we sell , it was not pleasant. When I asked for the price on a TV they had it for a hell of a lot more . I told them the price I could get it for and they said thats how much it costs them to get one so they can't sell it for that and basically I was fibbing. So i pulled out the price I printed from the place that I said was cheaper. As for the area being bad. I moved out 12 years ago and often go back. I didnt go back for a while cos I thought it's a terrible place now. I go round thinking it has to have changed . I get back to my car and it has been broken into . Some smart ass thought he could get the steering lock off by cutting the steering wheel and only proceeding in cutting himself and bleeding all over the car. Not only this as he was bleeding he grabbed something to wrap around his cut. He grabbed the only thing I had and that was an empty packet of salt and vinegar crisps I had crammed in the ash tray. Which he left behind as the vinegar reacted badly to his cut. I go back a few months later only for a junkie with a needle full of something trying to mug me.
    Now i'm passing by the same place in an hour or so it's not like I don't go back in. Sorry to those residents that still live there but I have just cause for not liking it

8. magnatom

magnatom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about your bad experiences in Sevenoaks. Maybe I just looked posh! I do come from North Kelvinside (or is that Maryhill :) )

I do live a wee bit away from that area so I didn't realise there were problems down that end or Maryhill road. I won't be taking the car there!

Good luck with your search. I would avoid Alan James HiFi in the city centre. I think they got a bit miffed when I didn't buy my equipment off of them. They phoned me up twice at work after I didn't come back to find out why I didn't buy from them. Very strange.:confused:

Cheers

9. lespaton

lespaton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been in Sevenoakes Glasgow a number of times, parking my car in adjacent side streets each time. Never had a problem, I must have been lucky. Or maybe it was the fact that my humble BMW 3 was parked alongside much more esoteric machinery owned by locals. Why not do as I usually do where I cannot park adjacent to the store. Before buying I tell the sales person that I will bring my car to the door and he/she should hold the item and be ready to help me load it when I arrive, never had a refusal yet.
    The staff in that store are certainly of the variety that does not even look in your direction unless you ask for service. Some people like this approach, others do not. However, once asked I found them helpful but lacking in knowledge of some of the kit they sell. I had the opposite experience of Alan James Hi-Fi to that of the other contributor. The owner told me that my "body language" convinced him that I was not going to buy anything that day ( true, but it still annoyed me). What was worse was that after leaving my phone number and asking that they ring me when they had available some speakers I was interested in, they never did call.
    After looking in most of the dealers in central Glasgow I found that Stereo-Stereo (in St. Vincent St.) were the best for me. Very helpful and very knowledgeable about the kit they sell.
    Unfortunately I think they don't stock any of the subs you are interested in. They do B&W and Anthony Gallo. I bought a Gallo sub on their recommendation and have not regretted it. Great sounding little sub and very neat in appearance so I got it past the wife no bother.