Help-Give Me A Reason NOT To Get Sky HD!

happyhomer

Hi,

After 8 years with ntl (analogue & digital), I find myself seriously considering crossing to the dark side (Sky).
Basically, since setting up my Sony projector (VPL-HS60) I now notice the deficiencies in SD TV on a large screen (currently upscaled via a Panasonic DMR-EX75), so I'm looking at getting HD. TVDrive will apparently be available in my area (Nottingham) "soon", but the programmes that I would watch in HD are on Sky One (Stargate, 24, Battlestar Galactica). Who knows how long it could be before ntl increase their HD programming?
Cost-wise Sky also looks favourable; I'm not interested in sports or movies (SD DVD will do for that until the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray format battle is resolved), and to get the channels that I want from my Family Pack subscription (19.50/month) I can get in a Sky "2 mix" pack for £15/month + £10 Sky HD subscription. If I can get a New Customer deal on the box, and any reduced subscriptions, even better!
On a technical level, I believe I'm correct in thinking that the Sky HD box can output HDMI and component signals simultaneously, whereas the TVDrive needs to be set to one or the other. This is an issue for me as I would want to feed HDMI to the projector, with component going to the TV and I don't want to be changing settings every time I switch between the two.
However, historically I know that Sky used to have inferior picture quality whenever I saw it at other people's houses, and would suffer in unfavourable weather conditions; this has never been a problem with ntl. Also, I have a problem with having a dish on my house (only because I don't want one!), so I'd have to feel that there was a good reason to do it.

After all that waffle, here's my main question; has anybody had experiences of both HD services, and how do they compare quality-wise? Also is there any update on when/if NTL are due to get any HD material? I'm posting this on the NTL forum as I would still rather stick with cable, but at the moment I am being dragged towards Sky....

Any comments would be gratefully received!

yorkyred

Hi,

After 8 years with ntl (analogue & digital), I find myself seriously considering crossing to the dark side (Sky).
Basically, since setting up my Sony projector (VPL-HS60) I now notice the deficiencies in SD TV on a large screen (currently upscaled via a Panasonic DMR-EX75), so I'm looking at getting HD. TVDrive will apparently be available in my area (Nottingham) "soon", but the programmes that I would watch in HD are on Sky One (Stargate, 24, Battlestar Galactica). Who knows how long it could be before ntl increase their HD programming?
Cost-wise Sky also looks favourable; I'm not interested in sports or movies (SD DVD will do for that until the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray format battle is resolved), and to get the channels that I want from my Family Pack subscription (19.50/month) I can get in a Sky "2 mix" pack for £15/month + £10 Sky HD subscription. If I can get a New Customer deal on the box, and any reduced subscriptions, even better!
On a technical level, I believe I'm correct in thinking that the Sky HD box can output HDMI and component signals simultaneously, whereas the TVDrive needs to be set to one or the other. This is an issue for me as I would want to feed HDMI to the projector, with component going to the TV and I don't want to be changing settings every time I switch between the two.
However, historically I know that Sky used to have inferior picture quality whenever I saw it at other people's houses, and would suffer in unfavourable weather conditions; this has never been a problem with ntl. Also, I have a problem with having a dish on my house (only because I don't want one!), so I'd have to feel that there was a good reason to do it.

After all that waffle, here's my main question; has anybody had experiences of both HD services, and how do they compare quality-wise? Also is there any update on when/if NTL are due to get any HD material? I'm posting this on the NTL forum as I would still rather stick with cable, but at the moment I am being dragged towards Sky....

Any comments would be gratefully received!
Sadly the main issue for you regarding just when more HD channels will come on board is one that we have all asked and all had a different answer.

I was told that they are in talks with sky and expect to have the other HD channels up and running shortly. Telewest customers were told this a year ago.

So how long's a piece of string?

Badger0-0

Having been a cable customer for years and then having moved over to Sky for two years and then back to cable for the WC, I can find nothing to shout about for cable, HD-wise. I should say, I haven't seen Sky HD yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom