Help getting the best from my setup

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CrispyToast, Jan 15, 2008.

1. CrispyToast

CrispyToast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi guys, I don't seem to be getting the best from my system setup at the moment. The setup is currently this:
    Lumagen HDQ
    SkyHD
    Panny PHD8
    Denon 2900 with sdi
    PS3

My SkyHD recently broke so I didn't watch anything for a few weeks, but when it was fixed I notice only a small improvement in HD material over SD material from the sky box. I've spent a bit of time since trying to improve things, but as I've not been to active in AV for a while I am finding it somewhat confusing :suicide:.
    Getting the SkyHD picture right is the most important to me so I would like some help on this please. I am currently using HDMI from sky into the HDQ and like wise into a HDMI blade in the panny.
    I think this limits what I can do for starters, but is there a better way i.e. component?
    The Lumagen has done my head in so can someone give me some idea what setting will work well on the PHD8.
    Cheers

2. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    Looks like you need to reduce the amount of processing in your system!

What you need to do is try and feed the display it's native resolution (use test pages to acheive 1:1 pixel mapping, built into the HDQ?) and acheive 1:1 mapping with your HDQ but i don't think this is possible via the HDMI blade, only component or best route via the RGBHV blade.

For the 42" set the HDQ to output 1024x768 @ 50hz (42" native resolution), which will have to be via VGA, component or RGBHV connection blade.

Set the sources to output native too, skyhd set to auto (576 for SD, 1080i for HD stuff), Ps3 turn off upscaling for DVD to send native 576 for pal and 480 for NTSC into the HDQ, the dvd sdi player should be sending native anyway.

I had a 50PHD8 and used a dual slot RGBHV with a monster 5m mark grant RGBHV cable and got cracking pictures from my VP50 set to output [email protected], i've sold my phd8 but still have the RGBHV blade and Mark grant cable, should you require them PM me!

HTH!

3. CrispyToast

CrispyToast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the help Dr.
    Yes should have mentioned the PHD8 was a 42".
    Will soon be selling the Denon and will use the PS3 for DVDs untill I get a HD DVD player.
    Do you find a single output works best with all inputs (bar 50Hz stuff) or should there be a different one for SD and HD inputs?

4. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    You would want 50hz for 50hz source material and 60hz for 60hz material.

SkyHD is max 1080i @ 50hz so [email protected] out to the display from the HDQ will be applicable here for SD and HD.

For SD DVD's in the PS3 use the HDQ to again output [email protected], don't think the PS3 is multiregion so it keep it at this.

(note the PS3 cannot output native 576i for SD dvd's but 576p only, so there will be a slightly degraded picture as the PS3 will do some processing here, way around this to keep processing to the HDQ only would be to buy a player that will do native 576i (oppo 970HD) or keep the sdi player)

For HD-DVD, B-R (PS3) i would try 60hz into HDQ and [email protected] out as this is the basic hz output by players, 24hz is available now but not sure if the HDQ can handle this or the display won't do [email protected] either.

You would need to program the HDQ to output the 2 types of signals and to select the right one depending on source, eg [email protected] when SkyHD is the selected input.