1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help getting my first AV amp and speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by funkedup, Dec 7, 2004.

1. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hiya guys

I was wondering if any of you could help me pick an AV amp and speakers.

This will be my first home cinema set up so not too sure what to go for. I don't want to go to a shop and end up getting something "sold" to me which isn't that great!!

I've got the Logik 27" widescreen LCD TV and the sound is ok but not amazing so want the AV amp to help me produce an excellent sound to go with the picture i already have!!

I also play game with my Xbox and alresdy have the advance cable with the optical output so the amp will need optical inputs so i can unlease the true dolby digital sound my xbox produces!!

As for buget proably £300 which would be for everything AV amp and Speakers.

Hope you can help me guys!!

2. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mickbarlow pointed out this starter setup on unbeatable that's great value:

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_21653.html

Yamaha RXV-350 and yamaha speaker package (probably reasonable and essentially free!) for the grand total of £170

I nearly fell off my chair when I read that :eek:

3. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I have come across that one myself. Is that a good amp to get, what about the speakers are they any good?? There must be something thats buget on that to make it so cheap!!

4. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The price is about right for a 350 alone if you shop around, so the speakers are effectively free. You could always buy the package and sell the speakers unopened to raise your speaker budget a little higher!

I've got a 750 and it's an excellent amp, the 350 is a reasonable amp for movies and average for music - do a search here as I'm sure others will have asked the same question.

The speakers won't be great but better than you'd buy in tescos etc. and you get it all in one go - it's a great place to start, iron out any placement problems and then upgrade from there.

edit: After a quick search the speakers are reasonable for movies and not too capable for music - but others have just added a pair of stereo speakers for music. More info here:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164127&highlight=yamaha+350

5. funkedup

funkedup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the replys guys!!
    I may add abit more to the buget now so that i get a good setup would rather put the extra £££ in and get it right first time rather than buy something which will be needed upgrading shortly after.

So for the amp would you say the yamaha is one to go for or a denon (baring in mind i'm not sure which denon to go for if that was the case)

Also what speakers??

This AV set up is for my Logik 27" LCD widescreen TV BTW as the sound isn't that great on it. I only watch DVDs at the moment on it as i have another TV for watching normal telly. So the DVD players optical output will be used to send the sound to the AV amp.

Hope you can give me some ideas guys!!

6. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speakers depend on your budget, but at the moment the Canton CD1s are a great buy from germany. Other have done it (there's a here Canton CD1 thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154348&highlight=canton) successfully and you save tons (£480 down to £210!)

Denon amps are very good, as are marantz but I think I prefer the Denons. I currently have a Yammie 750 and it's excellent with stereo and movies - but is more than you're planning at £380 from superfi. The only real way to decide is to audition them, you'll be amazed how easy it is to tell them apart - and just pick the one that you like the best.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    The Denon amps are very good, but if you're budget approaches £350 then your best bet is the Yamaha 750 :thumbsup: