Help getting in-ear headphones - possibly sports

deepbrown

Hello all,

I have a Creative Zen M MP3 player - and surprisingly the headphones I got with it were amazing. It's these ones:

Creative® EP-630 Earphones

Currently only £7.99 on Amazon.co.uk Creative Labs EP-630/A Earphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Why are they so good? I felt that the bass was excellent, really clear, and they surprised me with their noise cancelling. At the time I thought it would be the same with all in-ears - but when one of the ears died, I replaced them with £30 Phillips in-ear headphones. I can hear everything around me and I have to turn the volume up to 21/25 (with the creative I would listen on only 18/25). I've read the Creatives are even better than these Sony ones: Sony MDR-EX300SLB In-Ear Headphones with 13.5mm Driver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Now my Phillips are dying on me and I need to replace them. I am really attracted by the Creatives - but I think I need over the ear/sports earphones because I like to listen to music at the gym and the creatives pull on my ears when I run. So what can I get that's as good as the Creative ones, but over ear? It's important I don't hear much of what's going on around me. If this isn't possible for under £30 - maybe I'll just get these Creatives plus another sports pair just for the gym.

Are these any good for sound quality? Sony MDR-AS50G Active Series Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Drubbing

THe main difference with those over the stock buds you get, is they're not buds, they're canal phones, or IEMs (in ear monitors).

They isolate, they don't noise cancel, it a passive thing brought about by the seal in the ear canal (noise cancelling is an active system on headphones phones, and not worth it).

Most people find canals of even average quality a big step up from buds, because of the in ear seal, which gives a deeper sound.

For really active use a canalphone with a good seal is the best thing, as they'll stay in your ear even when sweating. Any headband designs are hit and miss.

deepbrown

THe main difference with those over the stock buds you get, is they're not buds, they're canal phones, or IEMs (in ear monitors).

They isolate, they don't noise cancel, it a passive thing brought about by the seal in the ear canal (noise cancelling is an active system on headphones phones, and not worth it).

Most people find canals of even average quality a big step up from buds, because of the in ear seal, which gives a deeper sound.

For really active use a canalphone with a good seal is the best thing, as they'll stay in your ear even when sweating. Any headband designs are hit and miss.

Ok well that's fine...I understand that. But what you say should mean that my Creative phones should be no better than my Phillips at cancelling outside noise. This is untrue by quite a significant margin.

Drubbing

I never said that; I didn't compare any of your current phones. I'm making a general comment about buds Vs canals. And some canals will isolate better than other canals depending on fit.

Do you understand the difference between buds and canals? Buds are the iPod style give-aways, and canals fit further in the ear. It appears you got canals with your Zen.

deepbrown

I never said that; I didn't compare any of your current phones. I'm making a general comment about buds Vs canals. And some canals will isolate better than other canals depending on fit.

Do you understand the difference between buds and canals? Buds are the iPod style give-aways, and canals fit further in the ear. It appears you got canals with your Zen.

I completely understand the difference. But both of the canals I have fit exactly the same. They are just as tight, as they use the same fittings. However, the Creative would block out 20-50 per cent more sound than the Phillips.

Drubbing

And I said - some canals will isolate better than others. you won't know which ones are better or worse in this regard, than what you have, until you buy them.

deepbrown

And I said - some canals will isolate better than others. you won't know which ones are better or worse in this regard, than what you have, until you buy them.

Which is why I'm asking for advice from people who know which headphones are good from their experience :/

Drubbing

Individual fit with canals is even more subjective than what is 'good' SQ - as you've found with the two you have already. Both fit the same but isolate differently.

It will be quite difficult to find experiences of specific canals you're interested in - as you've had nothing so far here. My advice now is what it was before - the headband sport types are extremely variable for fit, and you're best sticking with a good quality canal.

There are so many out there, but I would give yourself a reasonable budget, say 30 quid, and buy a brand that only makes phones and nothing else. This way you'll get a good VFM product, that often out performs the household brands for SQ.

Good luck.

deepbrown

I would like advice on in-ear headphones - which are the best, which I should get, and if anybody has any thoughts on sports headphones. there are hundred's of threads offering advice and pointing to different in-ear products. This is what AV Forums are for.

So can anyone recommend some in-ear headphones?

kharma45

I would like advice on in-ear headphones - which are the best, which I should get, and if anybody has any thoughts on sports headphones. there are hundred's of threads offering advice and pointing to different in-ear products. This is what AV Forums are for.

So can anyone recommend some in-ear headphones?

I just ordered a pair of Sennheiser CX500's today from Play.com for £25, I'll stick up my thoughts on them when they arrive :)

deepbrown

I just ordered a pair of Sennheiser CX500's today from Play.com for £25, I'll stick up my thoughts on them when they arrive :)

Cheers, Sennheiser's seem to be much loved on here (though there's mixed reviews here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/headphones-headphone-amps/689155-sennheiser-cx500.html ) I see they also have an active range - but they aren't in-ear like the Sony ones I posted.

I've also found the http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-EP-830-In-Ear-Headphones/dp/B00166YWIS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top the sequel to the Creative's I've posted. The difference appears to be the bass isn't as loud, but the sound is much cleaner/defined. Only around £10.

Last edited:

deepbrown

The Soundwise S6 is the only sports earphone I have seen. They are actually designed for sports use in mind and are ear canal phones. All the others seem to just take a normal earphone, change the colour then market as a sports earphone? In my mind a sports earphone has to, fit well, stay in place, cope with sweat, not transmit friction noise in the cable, and sound good. I use the Soundwise S6 and they do an exceptional job. They are a bit pricey (around £38) although still good value for the quality of the sound. I have tried a few supposed sports earphones and all of them fall or get pulled out. Maybe my head is too big but those headband things are so uncomfortable.

The price you paid on Amazon seems very cheap but you say the sound quality is less defined. Is there a possibility they could be fake?

Thanks, they look good! I'll give it a think.

I said that the new model of Creative's had a more defined sound than the previous Creative model.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom