Help getting 5.1 from Sony Bravia to Sonos playbar

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by krafty187, Apr 18, 2016.

1. krafty187

krafty187
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, looking for some help re getting 5.1 surround from my kd55x8509c to my sonos playbar. I've got the sub and x2 play 1 surrounds. Have Sony blu Ray and Sky HD box connected to tv via HDMI, and tv connected to playbar via optical cable. Have played around with all the settings and can only seem to get stereo output. I'm aware of the issue re sound output from blu Rays, but I believe most sky channels (movies at least) will be in 5.1.
    Ive got setting to audio system rather than TVs speakers, optical out volume is set at max, and even tried different HDMI leads and sockets.
    Am I missing something here! Driving me nuts!
    Would be really useful to understand if there are other settings in the menu that I need to change?
    I'm sure I'm right in thinking this TV should output in 5.1 and having dropped a fair bit of cash on sonos I really want to get in working properly.
    Really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Quote+ Multi Quote

2. reecie

reecie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Have you got any sound? The main problem people have is that TVs still tend to downsample hdmi 5.1 into PCM2.0 stereo. You would have to check the manual to see what it does. So you then have to introduce some other switching mechanism external to the TV.

3. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Sony TVs, at least the models that I have, are one of the few that output 5.1 audio over the ARC HDMI port, and will also pass DD5.1 audio from an HDMI input to the ARC HDMI port. That may not be the case for the optical out. FreeviewHD transmissions are DD+, and it's my understanding that the optical connections can't/don't carry multi-channel audio from such material. It sounds like this may be true for the HDMI connections too. I do know that Sony TVs won't handle DTS audio from HDMI, at least mine don't.

Your options I think are first to call Sony to see what they say, and if they confirm the above you'll either have to live with stereo audio, change the Sonos for something with HDMI capabilities or connect the player and Sky box to the Sonos using optical cables and an A/B source switch of some sort and forgo audio from the TV.

Clem

4. johnr2110

johnr2110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The Sky HD Box outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 via optical. HDMI is Stereo only.

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Nope. DD is also available via HDMI.
    If you own a SkyHD box go into the sound settings and see for yourself.

6. johnr2110

johnr2110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Just have and changed it to Dolby. Thanks. Assume it reverts to stereo for normal broadcasts.

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,424
    Yes.