Help: Gaming CPU

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Xbox360_Junkie, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya guys

Im currently In the process of designing a new computer. Currently I have opted for the Asus A8N32 Sli Deluxe Motherboard, this will also accompany 2GB (possibly more depending on cash flow) of the new Corsair DDR XMS3500LL memory modules. This Is fine, however, I have not yet made a decision In regard to what central processing unit I am going to use. Essentially, I have ruled out the possibilty of getting the FX 57 simply for expense reasons, after all, I will be running a Nvidia SLi rig on the side. So, In reality, Im looking more at the AMD 64 4000+ or AMD 64 X2 4400+ CPU's. If anybody within these forums can help me In chosen a new AMD gaming CPU, any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks :clap:

2. oblivion_6

oblivion_6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    SLI rigs start to really show up CPU limitations, i would recomend going for the most expensive chip you can buy as that will last the longest, why not get a really fast CPU and just one card in your SLI?

That way you can chuck in another card later on for a boost, the 7900GTs are good value for money and are outperforming their 7800GTX cousins

3. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    getting the most expensive cpu isnt always guarantee'd to yield best performance either, if youre prepared to overclock and take your chances, then maybe a 165 opteron would be ideal as it has the potential to perform similarly to a FX60 or slightly less but for alot less money than the fx60 or indeed the fx57.
    i wouldnt suggest buying one card now and sli'ing in the future. it never really works and isnt designed for that in mind. and one card just wont cut it with a dell 24inch widescreen either. youd need 2 cards in sli to run games with all the fancy bits on.

4. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350

Why not ebay for a FX57 or 60, you can always get it from America for less money providing the tax man doesn't catch it in customs.

5. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590

Totally disagree. For example. One 6800 ultra would have been fine for games back then, then when the 7800's were released it would have been far cheaper to add a 2nd 6800 ultra than buy a single 7800GTX and be on the same graphical power.

Will work all the way thru the scale (bar the 7800 -> 7900 range) adding a second card when they plummet in price to equal 1 card of the next generation.

Obviously if money isn't a problem then buying 2 at top whack when brand new will in theory give you next gen power from the offset.

6. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    well 2 6800 ultra's are being outdone now by one card. my x1800xt out performs them in certain instances.
    its a waste of time buying a current gpu and wanting to put another one in at a later date as one of the new cards out when you come to add the 2nd card is already outperforming the sli pair of cards.

7. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    ^^^^ agreed. Sli doesnt allow anything other than spending half the one in one go, and the other half later. But what you end up with is something that runs hotter, draw more power, and runs slower than a single card solution. In all honesty, unless you want the bleeding edge, SLi isn't worth your time.

also, for the love of god, overclock. I wouldnt suggest that anybody buy an fx57. Even second hand they are still twice the price of an opteron 144/146 that will almost certainly overclock to 2.8ghz and further.

8. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    On the SLi front, 1 7900GTX does not outperform 2 7800GTX SLi'd. Same with 1 x1900xtx doesn't outperform 2 x1800xt xfire'd. These are rare examples and I guess shows how poor the latest refresh was, but usually, 2 older top end cards gives the same performance as 1 top ned newer gen card.

Buying the second will work out a lot cheaper than buying one of new line.

Heat and power consumption arguements don't wash. If you have that much money invested in this kinda tech, then you'd pay for some decent cooling, same as PSU. Every person I know has at least a decent 500W+ PSU in their pc. Having a cheap and nasty POS is not good, even in a low powered pc.

Now one thing I do not see the point in is quad SLi.....severe overkill.

9. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    heat and power doesnt wash for somebody whould doesnt give a *** about it. There's a difference there. you are right that people running sli shouldn't really care, but its still added expense that needs to me taken into acount. £90 on a psu instead of £45, extra cooling = extra noise ect ect the extra burden of having to set up profiles and battling with problems that you wouldnt have running one card...

10. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    sli is not always the answer for a gaming cpu. sli/xfire is mainly for gaming machines that are running massive screens with high resolutions that want the fancy bits turned on.
    and not everyone has the money or wants to spend extra cash on better cooling. changing gfx cards coolers invalidates warranties so in the same vein of things, i wouldnt pay top line cash just to be left without a warranty on them just to keep them a bit cooler/quieter. theres more to it than that but im highlighting the heat issues a bit there, its not just as clean cut as simply spending money on the cooling for a uber gaming rig.

11. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Extra cooling doesnt always mean extra noise. Lets take Artic cooling's solution for example....near silent. And some manufacturers still cover warranty with different cooling soultions..XFX are one if I remember correctly.

As for SLi and problems....I have no doubt there have been, but personnaly speaking I haven't come across one at all. Driver profiles are an arse, but if you really don't like them that much there is a general/global setting.

It's all excuses. If you want a top end gaming rig, dual + cards is the solution. However this is getting way off topic. I would say go for an x2 3800, massive overclocking potential and the half cache means nothing in real world gaming terms.

12. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    [email protected]
    id like to see that about the warranty if you can provide a link as i think that sounds very strange.

@OP, what resolution are you going to be using?

13. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Its eVga not XFX, my mistake. No limks either I'm afraid. Just ppl on Hardforum are always talking about it.

14. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    excuses? good god. you make it sound as if i've never extensively played with a dual 7800gtx rig. you'd be wrong.

No kidding its off topic, especially as you've just argued, then agreed with what im saying....

15. Xbox360_Junkie

Xbox360_Junkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeez, what have I started...

In regard to the Nvidia SLi technology, I will be slotting It in nicely, however; for cash purposes only, I may have to add In the additional card at a later date. In regard to the GPU itself, I haven't focused on anything specifically as of yet, although 2 x Nvidia 7800GTX sounds promising. Thinking about the central processor, I think Im going to opt for the AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego chip. Although the X2's provide great performance overall, Gaming is going to be my main field of interest. Inevitably, the 4000+'s low TDP, coupled with Its 1MB level 2 cache, should in theory make It a great gaming CPU. Im not that experienced In regard to overclocking, however, Im sure the opportunity for growth Is there when required. I will settle for nothing less then a 500W + PSU, but Ill get back to you guys on that when I get around to making that decision. Thanks in advance for all your feedback, keep it coming, maybe we could enquire about a computer component section in the forums?

Regards

Edit: Hiya guys, I think Im going to go with one BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC 256mb GDDR3 to start with, then at a later date, when my comp Is complete, slide In another one to complete the SLi rig. Does anyone have any suggestions on a solid PSU? (500 minimum)...thanks

16. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    i wouldnt bother with the 7800 series now tbh, theyre outdated (unless youre getting them very cheaply)
    go for 7900gt's or even gtx's. newer tech for similar money new.
    you will kick yourself too if you invest in a single core cpu, go for a 3800x2 at the very least. and again, really think about going the sli route and wanting to add a 2nd card later, it really isnt worth it if youre talking any longer than 3-6 months max.

17. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    If anyone is looking to buy AMD 64, then I would say wait for AMD 64 AM2 platform to come out. Which means faster AMD 64's both single and dual core, while being able to support DDR2 800 Ram.

And most likey 939 socket AMD 64 motherboards will not be able to support DDR2 ram.

18. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    its not the motherboards that support the memory, its all in the amd64 cpu's as thats where the mem controller is. so they will never support ddr2.
    am2 is not looking like a massive increase in performance, its been reported to be 2-5% but until its released its all rumours.
    if you end up constantly waiting for the next stuff in this industry you would never buy anything.
    the only reason i can see for waiting, is that it will no doubt puch the price down of the 939 stuff. maybe the i can get a dually :clap:

19. Pebb

Pebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    But future games will need DDR2 in the future, it was like when games that need DDR first showed mate.

20. semiskimmed

semiskimmed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +259
    thats a new one to me :confused:
    ive never heard of games needing DDR memory or any that are down to require DDR2. where have you got that from?

21. Tigerblade

Tigerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +590
    Thats not true. No game has ever needed ddr. It just ups your performance when using it. The same will be true of ddr2. Not that any of us would notice in anything other than 3dmark scores.