1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help from someone with projector and NVIDIA drivers please.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by dan1979, Dec 21, 2004.

1. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I DL'd the latest drivers and they seem to be ****, I've got a 1280x1024 TFT on DVI and a 1280x720 PTAE500 on VGA.

What I want is both displays to sit happily on their preferred resolutions but the crappy drivers don't want to let me.

TFT is 1a that has an option called 'device adjustments' which includes centring the picture. The PJ is 1b and 'device adjustments' just gives me a screen with arrows to move the image up and down, there's no option to centre the image.

The PJ options refuse to let me chose any resolution other than my TFT 1280x1024 unless I use panning, whats the point of that :mad:

The only way I can get a 1280x720 res at all is to reselect the pj as primary and that makes the TFT image jump all over the place. WIth that setting it won't let me have the TFT as 1280x1024 because thats higher than the primary monitors res.

All I want is the secondary display to be centred and no panning but I've tried every option I can find and it just won't work, and its incredibly annoying, surely its a basic thing there must be a way to do it :mad:

2. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I run a TV and a projector at 800x600 and 1280x720 respectively, however as I'm only using one dispay at a time I use the Desktop Profiles manager to switch between these two resolutions ( switching the display order as well so that the overlay moves to the desired display ) using keyboard shortcuts. I know this isn't optimal if you want them on together but it's the best solution I've found.

Cheers

Simon

3. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    I've come to the conclusion there is no way to get it to do what I want. When I did eventually manage to get the right resolutions on each screen the image on the projector constantly juddered up and down, you can't centre an image with a VGA connection.

Now I have to change the resolution and change which is the primary display (video only shows on the primary for some reason) and even though I get issues with the TFT' display jumping when I change the NVIDIA settings.

4. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    this shouldnt happen. NVIDIA drivers are pretty ace most of the time.

My guess of your fault.....

I imagine that your secondary monitor is not detected as a device that can sucessfully use 1280x720 (probably standard VGA compatitble monitor)

Go desktop -> right click -> properties.

Your display manger will pop up.

Go to your 2ndary display (your ae500) - click on it, hit advanced -> monitor -> uncheck " Hide modes this monitor cannot display"

hit OK,

now use the res slider to try to find 1280x720 (there should be loads of different reses selectable now)- it will work....... or something else is the problem.

If you want PM me your phone number if this doesnt work, and ill try to sort it with you over the phone - problems like this are a pain via messaging.

Yours,

stu

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Id agree, even my old 32mb PCI graphics card from NVIDIA can cope with a monitor at 1024x768 and projector at 1280x720 (note this was just for testing the image ;)).

It takes a little playing though.

Video does indeed only play on one monitor at a time however, at least that was the decision i made. Presumably this is to prevent piracy in some way.

Chris :)

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Using VMR rendering you should be ale to play video on both monitor simultaneously, Overlay is limited to the primary display I believe.

7. dan1979

dan1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +201
    As a compromise right now I'm using the second display as part of the desktop so I'm dragging stuff over to the right and it appears on the projector screen, I can then full screen it and it appears only on the second display. This isn't ideal as in normal use the mouse cursor can go miles off the screen to the right and occasionally something is messing up with the signal and my pj image goes to a messed up 1280x1024 with the top of the picture appearing at the bottom of the screen - when that happens I unplug the VGA lead and it goes back to its proper res.

I'll have another play with the settings tonight in view of what's been said but my patience with it has worn a little thin! I recently spent a whole evening getting zoomplayer to work as some of the codecs were making the system freeze, still won't play NTSC discs!

I did get the images I wanted at one point, both displays were on the right settings and the pj was connected via DVI but the image jumped up and down and I could find no controls for correcting it, when I use the clone setting there always seems to be a juddering issue on the DVI device.

The thing with video playing on one screen is a bit of a mystery, before its last format my PC started doing this out of the blue. It's only some programs that don't display the video on the second screen, PowerDVD does but WinDVD, WMP and Zoom Player don't.