Help from someone with a Sony receiver

2manyconsoles

Standard Member
Reaction score
I think all Sony amps have similar set up...

I have an old STRDB925 to which I just added a sub-woofer (I don't have the instructions any more).

When it auto detects DD5.1 DVD sound it says 'Dolby Digital 3/2' - I was expecting it to say 5.1 - It always said 3/2 before I had a sub connected.

There are lights that show which speakers are active

L C R
L S R

I assume that the S means the sub woofer is active but the S light does not come on whereas all the others do.

I've selected 'yes' to sub woofer in the menu and sound is coming out during films, I can also use the woofer for regular stereo signals but shouldn't there be something to say 5.1 or 'S' speaker is activated?

Thanks

It should say "Dolby Digital 3/2"

If I remember rightly you should look something like the following with regards to illuminations with 5.1

[SW] [ L] [C] [ R]
[LFE] [SL] [SR]

This is from memory & I haven't seen a STRDB -925

(Seen a STRDB-940 & STRVA-555ES)

This is correct for DD 5.1 (3 channels front/2 rear)
However I'm not that familiar with the 925 (I have the 940 which is the newer model by 2 years) I would assume the 'S' is the .1 channel (which displayed as L.F.E. on my 940)

HTH

Thanks, I do have LFE come up and as I said the sounds is coming out - if 3/2 is correct then thats good enough for me, its just that its taken me 4 years to add a sub and I stupidly binned the instruction manual a while back so I wasn't sure about the S light in the lower middle.

Am struggling to think about my 930 without being in front of it, but isn't the middle "S" the surround symbol for Pro-Logic type modes?

And also if you've got the Sub set to yes you should see something like "S.Woofer" and then with a DD5.1/DTS source you'll get a bucket with about 3 lines which flicker depending on the amount of signal from the LFE.

Hope that makes sense! I guess if you can hear stuff from the sub then it's all working well!

Obviously the 925 may be slightly different with all these lights.

Cheers,
Andy

My '475 says 3/2

I have an option to turn the sub on or off in the settings :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom