Help from panasonic owners

akarit1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there folks,
Just had my Panasonic HDC-HS9 cammy delivered and recorded to a 16gb sdhc card to check it out. I then placed the card in my Panny PZ81B to view it and was surprised to see a lot of fuzziness in the picture, even though it was in HA quality which is the highest quality of 1080P. Admittedly it was shot in the living room and the lighting was enough but when I recorded outside footage in the street it was better but still looked fuzzier than I had expected.
Is there any settings that need to be changed or is it just the way it is meant to be??
Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I thought the picture wasnt that different from my 10 yr old Sony Hi 8 camcorder and thought it should look a lot better!!

What does it look like when you plug the camcorder in to the display via HDMI or component cable? And what about the camcorder's LCD do you get the fuzziness then?

If you could clarify what you mean by "fuzziness" it would help. Do you mean the picture is soft as if not correctly in focus? Or are you referring to noise and grain in the image - it's in focus, but doesn't look clean?

Andrew.

What does it look like when you plug the camcorder in to the display via HDMI or component cable? And what about the camcorder's LCD do you get the fuzziness then?

I have not tried it yet connected via the HDMI cable and it is not fuzzy in the camcorders LCD, i have only just taken the SD card and inserted it into the TV's card slot as it is capable of playing AVCHD footage. I have not tried recording to the hard disc drive either, but thought that the picture should be smoother than it was, ie. no picture noise.

If you could clarify what you mean by "fuzziness" it would help. Do you mean the picture is soft as if not correctly in focus? Or are you referring to noise and grain in the image - it's in focus, but doesn't look clean?

Andrew.

Yes its in focus but there is a lot of noise and grain, not what i was expecting as I thought it would be a bit like HD picture quality on the HD channels (obviously not as good as they are using professional equipment).

I have not tried it yet connected via the HDMI cable and it is not fuzzy in the camcorders LCD, i have only just taken the SD card and inserted it into the TV's card slot as it is capable of playing AVCHD footage.

I think you need to do this, in order to determine if it's your TV or the camcorder.

Yes its in focus but there is a lot of noise and grain, not what i was expecting as I thought it would be a bit like HD picture quality on the HD channels (obviously not as good as they are using professional equipment).

You would expect a certain amount of grain if the light was quite low (ie. dimly lit room), but from what you stated previously it sounds like you get the same outdoors.

Is the camera set to the highest picture quality setting? Is it in auto mode?

You would expect a certain amount of grain if the light was quite low (ie. dimly lit room), but from what you stated previously it sounds like you get the same outdoors.

Is the camera set to the highest picture quality setting? Is it in auto mode?

The camera is on the HA setting which is the highest quality it can do and yes it was in the auto mode. The light in the room was a 200 watt bulb , so quite bright. I will view the footage connected via HDMI and also play it on the cameras' lcd as well to check. The TV is brand new and came the same day as the camera.

Ok I've played back the footage from the SD card on the cameras' own lcd and to be honest, it looks great but the screen is so small, anything will look good on it and so cant really tell if the grain/noise is on it. I had a problem connecting the camera to the tv via hdmi as the cable I've got came with an adaptor to mini hdmi. This would not fit into the camera's hdmi socket as the plug was too thick. Shame the camera designers put the hdmi socket at the bottom of the battery compartment. Will now have to wait for a proper cable to see it via hdmi.Anyone else had a problem with the hdmi socket on the camera??

Hi there folks,
Just had my Panasonic HDC-HS9 cammy delivered and recorded to a 16gb sdhc card to check it out. I then placed the card in my Panny PZ81B to view it and was surprised to see a lot of fuzziness in the picture, even though it was in HA quality which is the highest quality of 1080P. Admittedly it was shot in the living room and the lighting was enough but when I recorded outside footage in the street it was better but still looked fuzzier than I had expected.
Is there any settings that need to be changed or is it just the way it is meant to be??
Any suggestions greatly appreciated as I thought the picture wasnt that different from my 10 yr old Sony Hi 8 camcorder and thought it should look a lot better!!

Are you in 25 fps mode, if so, disable it and it will record at 25 fps, PS, space required after the comma, before the "it", and you've missed the ending speach marks !.

Are you in 25 fps mode, if so, disable it and it will record at 25 fps, PS, space required after the comma, before the "it", and you've missed the ending speach marks !.

God ! I got that wrong, I meant to say it will then record at 50 fps, sorry 'bout that.

God ! I got that wrong, I meant to say it will then record at 50 fps, sorry 'bout that.

A 50Hz camcorder does not record at 50 frames per second. It records 25 frames per second, each frame consisting of two interlaced fields. There is a difference.

Andrew.

A 50Hz camcorder does not record at 50 frames per second. It records 25 frames per second, each frame consisting of two interlaced fields. There is a difference.

Andrew.

So ps3 luggs or whatever his/her name is got it all wrong and he thinks my grammer was bad :) tut tut........here for advice not an English grammar lesson besides there was nothing wrong with my narrative.

Finally managed to view the footage through a hdmi cable and it did look a little better. I'm assuming it must be the indoor lighting that makes it look fuzzy as the outside footage is fantastic but if anyone can give me advice on what settings to have it on indoors in poor light will be much appreciated. I didnt really find much difference with the low light mode though.

So ps3 luggs or whatever his/her name is got it all wrong and he thinks my grammer was bad :) tut tut........here for advice not an English grammar lesson besides there was nothing wrong with my narrative.

:nono:
He was trying to be helpful and if your narrative wasn't conveying clarity , entitled to say it, I think,
HZ = cycles per second, easy mistake to make especially as the technicality of how video is made isnt crystal clear

:nono:
He was trying to be helpful and if your narrative wasn't conveying clarity , entitled to say it, I think,
HZ = cycles per second, easy mistake to make especially as the technicality of how video is made isnt crystal clear

Thats fine but I do believe that I am also entitled to disagree with a posters comments about my command of English as long as I was not rude which I don't think I was.:D

Thats fine but I do believe that I am also entitled to disagree with a posters comments about my command of English as long as I was not rude which I don't think I was.:D

Don't feel bad. He spelt speech as "speach" anyway.

Heck, we all make mistaykes, I mean mistakes. To err is human, to forgive . . . uncommon.

I'm assuming it must be the indoor lighting that makes it look fuzzy as the outside footage is fantastic but if anyone can give me advice on what settings to have it on indoors in poor light will be much appreciated. I didnt really find much difference with the low light mode though.

There's no magic fix. I find that the only way to improve the results from indoor shooting is to switch on your own internal patience mode and put the camera in manual. Two main benefits as I see it:

First, in manual you can reduce the gain setting (under "iris" on the joystick menu). This makes the overall picture darker, but sharper (less grainy or "fuzzy").

Secondly, mediocre lighting also puts the camera's white balance sensor under pressure, so it's often a good idea - if you can manage - to use the manual white balance option (MWB), also only possible when in manual.

See the instruction booklet for the nitty-gritty on iris control and manual white balance.

Once the ambient light gets below a certain level even MWB won't help you much. Luckily, most decent editing software makes correcting for unattractive colour cast relatively simple.

Bottom line: it's a balancing act. Unfortunately there's no setting for making the CCDs larger.

Andrew.

I agree You were not rude but if you agree he was trying to be helpful, and only commented on your English to indicate some difficulty in understanding you ,I imagine you could perhaps suspend your entitlement to comment ( or disagree) , and ignore it.. life is too short , mate:)

Im similarly entitled to edit/delete posts which may be contentious or potentially so, ( but I too feel life is far to short to sweat the small stuff so.. I very rarely do:cool:)

Last edited:
I agree You were not rude but if you agree he was trying to be helpful, and only commented on your English to indicate some difficulty in understanding you ,I imagine you could perhaps suspend your entitlement to comment ( or disagree) , and ignore it.. life is too short , mate:)

Im similarly entitled to edit/delete posts which may be contentious or potentially so, ( but I too feel life is far to short to sweat the small stuff so.. I very rarely do:cool:)

Yes thats true and I agree as well as appreciate others taking the time to reply. Its all good stuff really. anyways my camera is going on holiday with the family this saturday, I will post more on return once I've seen it (camera) put to the real test.:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom