1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help from fellow AV8 owners!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by grooby, Sep 13, 2003.

1. grooby

grooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

Have recently upgraded from a Tag to the Arcam AV8. The problem i have is hissing from the speakers. I was told from the store i purchased it from that on start up this was normal. What i find though is that on playing DVD's and CD's the hiss is still in the background. Turn it up to THX reference level and the soundfield is ruined by what sounds like a gas leak in the room!!

Have any of you guys with AV8's come across this problem?
    Had no problems in this regard with the TAG.

Thanks
    Andy

2. warrj

warrj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine certainly doesn't hiss. It sounds like some sort of earthing problem which is surpising since AIUI the AV8 is very well grounded. A couple of things to try:

1. Identify if a connection to a component is causing a ground loop by unplugging components one-by-one (or even better unplug them all and then add them back one-by-one).

2. Ring Arcam support. They're usually very helpful.

Hope you get it sorted quickly,

Jules.

3. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No hiss from mine - had no problems at all except had a slight heart attack when it took so long to come on when I first plugged it in.

4. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No hiss form mine either. Try the ground loop switch at the back.

As Warrj suggest give Arcam tech support a call, they are very helpful.

Gazzer, your comments re the long startup on first plugging it in, I felt that sinking feeling as well, its not nice!!

Regards
    John

5. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    grooby,

please tell us here if you get it fixed.

I had a similar problem (on my demo AV8) and did everything:

- floating ground
    - true reference ground (lots of extra wire for that one :)
    - measure mains electricity for 1 week with AC quality analyzer
    - tried terminating unused outputs

etc.

I couldn't find a cure for this.

Please tell us if you find a cure for this.

I finally accepted that it could be down to impedance mismatc of AV8 and my power amps.

I've been putting of my preamp purchase because of this (I don't want to get rid of my power amps).

regards,
    Halcyon

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I have a similar problem with my tag processor :(

7. grooby

grooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys!!

Ok, i have tried the ground lift button on the back with no success. Still hissing from the speakers.
    One thing i didnt mention was that i am usuing Russ Andress Power cables plugged into one of his purifier blocks. With my previous Tag set up this was no problem.
    the only problem i had in the past was a faulty speaker wire connection which somehow distoted the hell out of my picture at volume.
    I'm popping off to unplug everything and plug everything back up in sequence to see if i can identify anything.

This Av lark allways throws you for a curve ball at one point or another. But then thats have the fun i suppose!!!!

I'll get back to you
    Cheers
    Andy

8. grooby

grooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, i'm back.
    A few static shocks later off the plugs this is what i found.

Disconnected all the equipment from the power block, plugged the AV8 into a normal power extension and then plugged the amp in which drives the front three speakers.
    Like the Russ block it plugs into a single wall socket. Held my breath and turned on.
    Hissssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!

Plugged in the amp for the rear speakers and turned on. Hissssssssssssssssssss!!!!!

As i mentioned before, the Tag i owned had no such problems.
    As the ground lift button on the AV8 makes no difference would this suggest that it is not a ground problem?

i did e.mail Arcam on saturday about this. i will call them next week if i dont hear from them. In the past they have been a bit lax in responding to e.mails.

Any replys welcome. Still, its a nice bit of kit compared to the Tag. Once the problem is solved i'll be a happy chappy!!!!

Cheers
    Andy

9. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi ive notcied a high level of hiss with my av8 aswell. Especially when listerning at thx ref volumes. One thing i have noticed is i have the source set to direct then i just get the normal hiss as expected from the amp and this volume. When i select any processing mode at thx lev the hissing is alot louder and i get a sort of whistling noise like electrical interference. The only thing i think could be wrong is something inside the AV8 as ive tried everything from moving electrical cables and changing interconnects to actually changing amps. The annoying thing is i can hear the noise quite clearly from the listerning position especially in quite parts in films etc. If you have any joy and find out the problem with your system let me know incase it resolves my problem otherwise im just gonna return my av8 because i havent got the time to arse about with something that should be performing perfectley straight out of the box (especially for the price).

10. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Grooby,
    I would call Arcam tech support and not rely on them responding as I know that they get a lot of junk email. If you do email them put something in the titile along the lines of
    "Hissing problem with my AV8, can we talk to try to resolve this problem"

Regards
    John

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I have no experience of Arcam Tech support but getting a lot of junk mail is a very poor excuse for not responding in a timely manner. If thats the case then they need to get better email filters and not rely on their customers repeatedly sending mails.

To be honest I am very surprised that they are lax in responding to customer problems as the company has a very good rep around upgrades etc.

12. grooby

grooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sticker thanks, I'll give Arcam a bell on monday, it'll break the monotany of work anyway!!
    Black Magic, i'll let u know what happens.
    The one good thing i liked about Tag was that the Customer service was bang on.
    Oh, and if Mr Dawson is floating around, would he care to comment. As has been said, its alot of money for a product to be biting me in the ass this early on!!
    Other than that, been a big fan of Arcam over the years.

Cheers
    Andy

13. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Grooby,

I have asked one of my colleagues involved in the AV8 product design to give me his comments on this - it is not something to be expected as you may imagine but I'll wait for his answer later this week before commenting formally. I am out of the country right now. Please bear with us.

John Dawson (Arcam)

14. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    i doint mean this in a dis-respectful way; i think its great seeing manufacturers on here, but surely customers shouldn't have to wait for you to get cogs start to turn in then arcam support team? :confused: like i say, i don't mean this in an offensive manner but am interested to see just how Arcam manage when you aren't around - i am a happy dv27 owner who has never had any problems in the past so i have never had to test it!!!!:clap:

15. grooby

grooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr Dawson thanks for the reply.
    Spoke to one of your helpfull staff today who are going to replace the unit via my dealer.
    It would be interesting to hear your conclusions on the matter tho as others seem to be having the same problem.
    I will keep my fingers crossed that the replacement is ok.
    Getting the dealer to come out to me this time just in case.
    Hope you enjoyed Cedia.

Cheers
    Andy
    x3 FMJ P1's in the pipeline and DV27. Oh the pain in my wallet!!!!