1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help from cyrus guys please re av +st/amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mick23, Nov 27, 2002.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi have just recieved cyrus c7 integrated amp, and hooked up cd player to c7, running pair of cdm1nts, the c7 is running speakers no problem (the 3rd led on volume is loud enough) i wish to use 3802 av driving center and rears,c7 driving fronts, have taken 3802 prefronts to av on c7, but when sending test tone through fronts, and wishing to calibrate fronts to -75db with spl, it seems i need to have c7 on (the 5th or 6th led on volume control) bit wary of this (getting onto max volume???) so played gladiater dvd set c7 to zero volume, and had to increase to at least the 4th led to get any volume of sound at all ,and this was still fairly low, any ideas please, not got to gripes with manual re differant output levels etc, hoping you can assist thank you

2. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It's quite common to have to use quite high volume levels on a stereo amp when using it to power the front speakers of an AV system. Don't know why the line level outputs from AV receiver pre-outs are so low.

I use an Arcam Alpha 6+ stereo integrated for my fronts and a Marantz SR4200 for the centre and rears and I have to crank the Arcam volume up to half way (12 o'clock) to get the balance right. If I used that volume setting when playing CDs (directly through the Arcam) my speakers would explode - 'normal' volume levels on the Arcam are at about 8 or 9 o'clock.

Michael.

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks michaelab, the real bugbear is spent part of yesterday comparing c7 against 3802 playing various cds, and am finding there is vitually no differance between the 2 amps for sterio replay, i expected the c7 to be "much bettter" wondering wether a power amp would be better option ,saves the juggling of 2 volume controlls etc,

4. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hmmm, I'm very surprised you don't find much improvement with the C7 over the 3802 for stereo music - are you sending the analog output of your CD player direct to the C7 or is it going via the 3802? I found my Arcam Alpha 6+ was a massive improvement over my Marantz SR4200 for stereo music.

Yes, juggling the volume controls is a real pain, esp. since the Arcam and Marantz both 'understand' the same volume remote control signals. That means I have to cover up the remote sensor on the Arcam when I'm using the SR4200 for DVDs!

Michael.

5. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HI MICHAELAB,YES ANOLOGUE DIRRECTLY TO C7,I USED TO HAVE YAM A5 AV,WHEN THIS WAS COMPARED TO YAM AX592 INTEGRATED THE DIFFERANCE WAS MUCH MORE NOTICIABLE THAN C7VS 3802, OTHERS WHO HAVE MARRANTZ 4200 OR HIGHER OR DENON 3801,SEEM TO GAIN MORE FROM INTEGRATED AMP .