Help Freview ariel in Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Teth, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Teth

Teth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was an NTL subscriber until they lost sky one and now there doesn't really seem any point because everything else I want is available on freeview and I can get the sky stuff elsewhere *cough* bittorrent.

Anyway I got myself a Terratec cinergy 2400i PCIe card and added it to the PC I have connected to my projector. Its running vista home premium and I thought I've make use of Media centre for a PVR. Now my problem.

We already have a TV with a freeview box in the house its been running fine since before christmas and recieves all channels with a 70-100% signal using our old analogue rooftop aerial. I thought I'd just split that an run some coax to my room and be sorted. Sadly not so. While the original TV is still recieving all channels all be it at a reduced strength and the odd glitch on E4 the 2400i card only picks up BBC1, BBC2, BBC3 and news 24. There is sound but no picture on a few others.

My next course of action is of course a new aerial or a signal booster the thing is I can't decide which.

I live in belfast postcode BT5 6BY but none of the searches online for transmitter info seem to like my postcode. Its real honest I get overseas mail and everything :)

So in no particular order.

Does my aerial need pointed at a new transmitter for digital?
    Would I be better getting an amplifier / power distribution box to put in the loft at the split?
    Depending on the above can you recomend one for my situation?

Where I live Maplin or curries are my only retail choices. I like to do things right rather than rushed tho so I'm happy to mail order.

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I bought a Terratec tuner and sent it straight back. It was useless.
    I think you proved the point, since your Freeview receiver works and the Terratec doesn't.

(It's spelt "aerial". I hate to see people struggle).

3. Teth

Teth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was lead to believe the oposite from reading numerous reviews before purchase. A quick google search gives

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/01/05/110017.php

And

http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2005/11/19/Terratec-Cinergy-2400i-DT/p1

Both of which commend it on its sensitivity.

I did some crawling around in the atic this morning and took the split out of the aerial sending it straight to my tuner card. Its about twice the length of cable run to it than the freeview box (roughly 25m) as uposed to 14-15m. I picked up a couple more channels but still no ITV.

So I'm still unsure aerial or amp?

4. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    Sorry, I had the USB module. If the PCI version is very sensitive, it may need an attenuator.

5. Teth

Teth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well impatience got the better of me while passing maplin yesturday so I bought a plug in signal booster for £15 and put it between the card and my long run of cable. I now pick up everything the Divis transmitter has to offer. There is a little breakup every now and then on E4 and Film4 but its rare maybe 30 seconds out of an hour.

The booster I got was a 1UHF 1VHF input with 4 outputs. I intend to place it at the split in the loft once I arrange power to there and hopefully boosting the signal before distribution rather than boosting the weaker signal later will give even better results. Garbage in garbage out etc.

I also noticed our aerial has slipped a bit from its initial installation its pointed maybe 25 degrees off divis towards Balckmountain analogue transmitter so I may spend an afternoon on the roof with that when it warms up again. I can't can't say I relish trying to release bolts that were installed around 1986 they are probably well rusted.

6. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    So much for it being sensitive!

Tip: put silicone grease on bolts. If possible, wrap with Denzo tape.