help..............fraud and cloning

seafoodmix

Standard Member
This is very suspicious…….my parents came home to a hand written note the other day saying to call a mobile phone number because there is for a parcel that needs to be delivered and you were out when we called. They called the number and a man answered and said he is a courier trying to deliver a package. He then asked my dad to answer a couple of security questions to prove his identity, firstly his address, which they already knew, then his date of birth. My dad thinking something was odd said no, and the guy said okay then you can prove who you are by giving your mothers maiden name, my dad then got fully suspicious and asked the guy then backed off realising he’d been rumbled and told my dad to call the head office? about it and hung up. My dad called Barclays after realising his connect card is due for replacing and fair enough they have cancelled the new card and are going to watch transactions on the account. On calling the police and telling them about the note, the conversation and the obviously stolen card from the mail they said that no crime had been committed and they couldn’t do anything. They didn’t even want the note or the mobile phone number or care that these theifs came to my parent front door. Worrying events, is their account and identities safe or are these people getting a load of credit in my dads name now. Please watch out.

Steven

Senior Moderator
That's a new one to me...

I mean if fraudsters nicked letters from the sorting office or whatever, they'd want to announce themselves because...?

I'm sure someone more clued up will explain...or is it a case of attempting impersonation?

Ian J

Banned
seafoodmix said:
They called the number and a man answered and said he is a courier trying to deliver a package. He then asked my dad to answer a couple of security questions to prove his identity, firstly his address, which they already knew, then his date of birth. My dad thinking something was odd said no, and the guy said okay then you can prove who you are by giving your mothers maiden name
I suppose that they will catch out a few people as it won't occur to everyone that courier companies don't know their customers' mother's maiden names anyway.

krish

Distinguished Member
happened with me two years ago
- three new credit cards stolen by bastards within the Royal Mail (was most probably Nigerian agency workers, judging by the accents on phonecalls I received, and from me phoning up pre-pay mobiles that they fraudulently obtained and changed my cards contact numbers to)

all sorted out eventually, didn't loose anything, though they got away with about 25K

Joe90sDad

Banned
seafoodmix said:
They didn’t even want the note or the mobile phone number or care that these theifs came to my parent front door. Worrying events, is their account and identities safe or are these people getting a load of credit in my dads name now. Please watch out.
Yep, that's normally the attitude.

Your father can check his credit online through various agencies and see if there are any suspect references requested.

Duncan G

seafoodmix said:
This is very suspicious…….my parents came home to a hand written note the other day saying to call a mobile phone number because there is for a parcel that needs to be delivered and you were out when we called. They called the number and a man answered and said he is a courier trying to deliver a package. He then asked my dad to answer a couple of security questions to prove his identity, firstly his address, which they already knew, then his date of birth. My dad thinking something was odd said no, and the guy said okay then you can prove who you are by giving your mothers maiden name, my dad then got fully suspicious and asked the guy then backed off realising he’d been rumbled and told my dad to call the head office? about it and hung up. My dad called Barclays after realising his connect card is due for replacing and fair enough they have cancelled the new card and are going to watch transactions on the account. On calling the police and telling them about the note, the conversation and the obviously stolen card from the mail they said that no crime had been committed and they couldn’t do anything. They didn’t even want the note or the mobile phone number or care that these theifs came to my parent front door. Worrying events, is their account and identities safe or are these people getting a load of credit in my dads name now. Please watch out.

What did this company call itself? I recall a scam where a delivery company claims there is a parcel for you with a delivery charge. Either the scam was you had to call a premium rate number or you had to pay the delivery charge with your credit card.