Help! - found a baby blackbird in the garden.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by oakie, Jun 16, 2009.

1. oakie

oakie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Had to pick it up to stop the dog killing it, i know roughly which conifer tree in came from in the garden but i can't see a nest to put it back in - what should i do with it (its currently in an open top basket near tree with some worms from the compost bin)

2. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,223
  3. fizl

fizl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    Put it somewhere high, otherwise it is a nice cat treat. If it survives the night you might see some fluttering around birds near it which are the parents, or you might have just adopted :)

Shaz

4. JayPJay

JayPJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    We have just been watching a baby blackbird in our garden. The adult parents are probably around and keeping watch so if you leave it alone you may see th parents come to the rescue. We have watched a few in trouble during the past few years and they are very watchful over their young. we have to keep our cat in as much as possible at the moment!!

5. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,403
  6. oakie

oakie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    thanks for the replies guys - to update: the parent birds have been sitting on the fence above the basket with food in their mouths but wouldn't come down to feed the baby bird (maybe due to high sides on the basket?)
    Anyway, I have now blocked access off to the trees to keep the dogs out and let the little fella go where i found him - only about 6 feet away from where he was in the basket so hopefully the parents will hear him skwark and find him. :)

7. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    If the parents do not continue to feed it, I would phone the local bird sanctuary. Some one will collect it and surrogate it until it is old enough to reintroduce to the wild, so to speak.

The last bird I rescued was one that was not able to fly and was fluttering around Argos car park, bound to become roadkill. The woman who came round said that it had a broken wing and would keep it in the sanctuary with other wild birds till the end of its days. :)

8. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Nice when wok fried I believe.

9. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Reminds me of when I was younger and used always see dead chicks or young birds in distress, in my back garden, not knowing what to do I used to try and help them and nearly all died overnight.I've not seen any for many years now.

10. Duncan G

Duncan G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    That's because they are avoiding you, the Bird word has gone round about you being Doctor Death:D

11. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Apart from being Doctor Death (I was only 10 years old!) My point was there are less and less birds in the towns and cities now. Probably everywhere.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  12. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,504
    Oakie. How is the baby blackbird today ??

13. BrynTeg

BrynTeg
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,047
    help....ive just found one too, it was outside on the road and wen i approached it just sat there, there are a number of cats in the street so i had to pick it up and put it in a box, its a type of blacbird, young and has no tail feathers at all, not sure whats best to do now, food etc?

14. Duncan G

Duncan G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Prehaps roasted with some peas and new potatoes. Or the RSPB link above.

15. Weggie

Weggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I would phone the local bird sanctuary. Some one will collect it and surrogate it until it is old enough to reintroduce to the wild, so to speak.

If you take it to a vet or the possibly the RSPCA, they may put it to sleep due to the heavy commitment required to feed it properly.

In the meantime, you could try wetting some bread with milk. Or regurgitated a chewed worm for it. It depends on you!

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,190
    Really the best advice is to leave them where they are, it's part of nature and we shouldn't get involved.

17. BrynTeg

BrynTeg
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,047
    sod that i cudnt watch it get eaten by a manky cat, i kept it in my shed for a few hours, then i went back to where i found it. i waited around and after a few mins an adult blackbird appeared nearby and called out , the chick then sqwarked back so i put the chick into the nearest conifer, walked away and when i glaced back i saw the adult by the chick so all in all ends well.

18. oakie

oakie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Sorry mate i completely missed your post:oops:

After i put him back in the trees i don't know what happened to the little fella, i listened out to see if i could hear him chirping the next day but herd nothing, to be honest i think he may have been snagged by a cat :thumbsdow

I also found a another/different bird a couple of days later, little brown one bout the size of a finch, found it well tangled up in the end of the strawberry netting , managed to cut him free and he flew away.:thumbsup:

19. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,190
    You were probably right in your case to move it from the middle of the road if it didn't move when you approached it - in this case put it in a hedge or bush or something like that. The normal person doesn't have much chance of keeping a young bird alive though by feeding it themselves.

There are certain birds that you are almost condemning to death if you pick them up and move them. Some species leave their young and go off looking for food for quite a while and expect them to be in that same place when they get back. For these birds the adults are their best chance of survival and I've seen statistics that say as soon as you take certain breeds to a sanctuary their chance of survival has gone down by a huge percentage. These figures are from the sanctuaries themselves.

Just a bit of friendly advice from a semi bird spotter and general bird nut :D