Help for Sony DAV-DZ260 and PS3 please...

Aviv1029

Standard Member
Hey hope this is in the right place, am having trouble with setting up my surround sound.

I have a Sony DAV-DZ260 with an optical cable out of it, into a splitter then two optical cabbles that go into the ps3 and the HDTV. The TV only has 1 HDMI slot, so am using a splitter out of the tv for the two HDMI cabbles from the ps3 and Sony DAV system.

It sounds great when playing dvds on the Sony, however I cant get any sound from my ps3 (menus/games/blu ray).

Have tried sorting it out myself but am pretty useless with technology so dont seem to be geting anywhere! Any help would be greatly appriciated please.

Oh and on the TV settings, both the Sony DAV and PS3 only come up on the tv through HDMI setting 3 (the only one I have/one slot) so it seems like I wont be able to have both on at the same time, could this be why the sound is not working on the ps3?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
It sounds like your TV outputs audio from external sources over the optical output so if both outputs are active, that would explain why your PS3 isn't working. Some TV's only pass Freeview tuner audio over the external outputs. I would try the PS3 directly first and then if it looks like you need to share the single optical input, try a 3 way manual switch. Have you set the PS3 to optical and bitstream in the sound settings menu?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
If you've set the PS3 to optical audio output, it should be bitstream (raw data) by default but check. Go to video settings and down to BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) and ensure it's bitstream.

Aviv1029

Standard Member
Oh and after I selected optical output, it said to tick one of these boxes:

Dolby Digital 5.1ch
DTS 5.1ch
AAC

So I ticked all three. Is that ok?

Will go try the bitrate setting now thanks.

Aviv1029

Standard Member
Ah devastation! It was allready on biterate for the optical output, but STILL cant get any sound from the ps3!

What were you saying about going direct to the ps3?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
It's bitstream by the way! Yes, the first 3 should be ticked, I can't remember the others but those are the important ones.

Connect the PS3 directly to the h/c system i.e. not via the splitter and with the TV out of the equation.

Aviv1029

Standard Member
Wow its working now! Thank you so much for the help, one last thing.

How come people said that I needed to do everything with the splitter etc, will the sound not be true HD sound because I dont have the tv conected with an optical cabble or will I still get great 5.1 sound with just the 1 optical cabble from the sony dav to the ps3?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
It won't be "HD sound" as optical doesn't have sufficient bandwidth to carry HD audio formats. They must be output over HDMI v1.3 or decoded internally within the player and output over HDMI or converted to analogue and output over multi-channel analogue cables. This all depends on the player in question. The PS3 cannot bitstream HD audio and has to pass the decoded stream as LPCM, therefore the AV receiver does not have to have any HD audio decoding.

You will get Dolby Digital and DTS audio over the optical cable.

The TV was obviously interfering with the PS3 optical signal, so if you want to get 'pseudo' surround sound (mixed from 2.0 stereo to give an effect such as Dolby Pro Logic) from the TV, you'll need the 3 way switch, which should ensure the path goes only from source e.g. PS3 OR TV via the flick of a switch.

I trust that clarifies everything.

Aviv1029

Standard Member
Cool thanks, will pop down Currys tomorrow and ask for one. Yeah that was realy helpfull, will go enjoy the sound now, thank you,

Aviv.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom