1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for someone outside Europe

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by macana, Jan 11, 2005.

1. macana

macana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi everyone,

I have been an active reader of this forum for a while, and have been researching the purchase of a 42" plasma for quite a long time now. I have read with great interest the expert opinions and experiences of the contributors and would like to think that I now know which Plasma to buy - but there is a problem.

I am based in South Africa (sometimes the dumping ground for 2nd rate equipment unless you're prepared to pay a premium) which means the value proposition is very different when the price/quality ratio is considered. Furthermore we don't have the luxury of being able to return things here if they are "slightly" faulty or not in line with my expectations.

Let me get to the point... if I do a price comparison of the various screens, and convert the currencies into Sterling I get the following shopping list:

Panasonic TH-42W6EX: 2,318 pounds (includes S-Video only)
    Samsung PS42D4ST: 2,272 pounds (includes DVI, Component and S-Video)
    Sony PFM-42V1A: 1,999 pounds
    LG PZ45: 2,072 pounds

The Fujitsu's, Pioneers and Hitachi screens are much more expensive.

So my question is... at these prices (and I've shopped around a lot!) which is the best buy? (All warranties are 1 or 2 years)

Furthermore, I will spend 70% of the time watching our local Satellite provider's broadcast which is not nearly as good quality as Sky (but decent) and is broadcast at 4:3 (Which handles this better?)

The other 30% of the time I will be watching DVDs.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

2. macana

macana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Everything I've read on these forums tells me the Panny's are the way to go - but at such a large price premium are they still good value for money over here?

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    At £50 over the samsung, most certainly. at £250 over the LG IMHO yes they are. Price differences are actually bigger here, though the actual prices are lower.

4. macana

macana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just found a supplier that can get me the Samsung for £2072
    So both the LG and Samsung are £250 cheaper than the Panny and come with more extras (inputs plus stand) for some reason they are the 2 dominant/popular brands over here.

What gets me is when I look at prices in the UK, the Panny is £750 cheaper for you guys, and the Samsung is actually more expensive comparatively.

From a personal taste perspective, its down to the Samsung vs the Panny - so at £250 difference does your opinion still favour the Panny?

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Panasonic and Samsung are simply in a different league. There's loads on info on here, it won't take you long to find a disappointed Samsung owner, but you'll spend a week to find someone who complains about panasonic picture quality.

6. macana

macana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This forum has convinced me the Panny is the way to go, I'll muster the courage to order mine within a few days...

One more question, which I could not find an answer to you on these forums (yet), anyone know what the difference is between the model number I have available over here (Panasonic TH-42W6EX) and the TH-42PW7B?

The entire 7th generation range is not available here yet, am I better off waiting for it or buying the 6 now?

7. Krance

Krance

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The million dollar question! ... seeing as you started by saying that you get charged more for the same screens and a premium for the latest, by the time the pw7 gets to you it will be more expensive.

I would agree with MAW though and get the Panny... it's not only S-video, it's a lot more than that when you get extra boards to plug into it..

I just got the 7 but would have been equally happy with the 6 I think

8. macana

macana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is there a reference point to see what the differences are between the two models?

If they're significant it might be worth waiting a month or so for it to come out here - generally what happens when new models come out here is they replace the previous one's price point - so I could never wait to try get anything under 2000 pounds as an alternative option.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Visually the difference is not huge. There are some new input boards for the 7 series, but for home use the 6 has a killer advantage, it can accept component video on it's VGA port, saving you one board. Sometimes, in fact may times, with the right other gear, you don't need a board at all with a 6 series.

10. macana

macana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just saw this bit of PR - at last 7th Gen is in South Africa... will try to get some pricing on the TH-42PWD7UY

ISSUED BY: PANASONIC

[Johannesburg, 18 January 2005] - Panasonic has consolidated its lead in the business communications market by launching the brand's seventh generation Professional Series plasma display panels on the local market in January 2005.

11. macana

macana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    TH-42PWD7WS available locally for £2,460
    Special price on Sony PFM42V1A for £1,820

Both include wall mount

Once again, is the Panny £640 better than the Sony?

I don't think the JS kit is available to me in South Africa, is that the only advantage the 6 has?

Thanks again for all the help!