help for noob

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by dennis, Jan 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    right can someone answer in laymans termsa couple of questions please.
    my brother has the chance to buy an almost new sony dvd/hdd recorder so i spent 6 hours yesterday rtring to set it up.
    he has cable tv from virgin through a box with a cable going in and one out obviously,but try as i may i could not get the pvr to to store any programmes from the box.
    i then connected his old tv aerial and it stored channels 1. to 5 no problem.
    so am i right in thinking you cant use this with the cable box? only if you have digital through freeview?.
    sorry for the long post but he needs to know wether to return the thing today.
    thanks .

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You don't state the model of the Sony dvd recorder but I take it that its just an analogue recorder
    and not freeview equipped like the latest models 870, 890.

You cannot store channels from the virgin box.

This recorder needs a terrestial aerial and if its connected to a freeview STB (around £25 or so), this will provide it with the freeview channels.

The recorder in its present state will record from the virgin box if you connect it via a scart lead.

3. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54

cant remeber the number but it has a digital and an analogue tuner but no freeview,
    i dont think it's going to be any use ti him.
    thanks for the information.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,255
    A digital tuner IS "Freeview". So, that's contradictory. In any case
    it WILL be able to record from a Virgin box. You need SCART or other video connections between the Virgin box and the recorder. When you want to record from the V box, you'll need to tell the recorder to record from whichever SCART or other AV input you used. And the V box will have to be ON and receiving the programme you want to record