1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help for newbie

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jodie114, Mar 24, 2005.

1. jodie114

jodie114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya everyone, i hope i am in the right section for this question.
    I have just brought the sony cdpcx355 300 disc cd player for home use. i want to connect it to my lcd tv and already fixed surround sound speakers from a system that died. i was under the impression i could connect the speakers via rf ( phono)? jacks, and that i could do the same into the tv. but does this thing need a seperate amp?, i was under the impression no, but the book says yes,
    thanks jodie

2. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jodie

Normally sources (and that includes a TV) are wired to an amplifier and this in turn powers the speakers

TV-----phone-cable-----> AMP -------speaker-wire------>Speakers
    ^
    CD-----phone-cable--------+

Some TV's provide basic AMP features for their own sound - and you typically find little red/black spring clips on the back into which the speaker wire can be fastened to allow external speakers to be attached. It is rare though to find TV's like this with external inputs for things like CD players. More often than not you find RCA jacks (red/white) for sending the sound OUT to a dedicated amplifier (to be wired as above). The external amplifier will be more capable of drving speakers than a typical TV.

Are the current surround sound speakers wired to the TV or were they original ly wired to the system that died ? If so you're telly does surround sound and possibly dolby digital, prologic or DTS and if you're lucky your TV might then have a digital input - usually digital optical TOSlink. This could be used to take a digital feed from the CD player as your CPD has a digital optical output. This would need a cheapish (£5-10) optical cable.

Andy

3. jodie114

jodie114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for answering, regarding my system, the speakers were connected to a samsung surround sound dvd system, and it was that that died.
    I have a philips 32pf9986 lcd tv, a toshiba dvd recorder/hd recorder and sky box. - and now this sony cd changer.... can i connect these? has this tv got an amp or optical cable output? instructions are c**p.
    Can i replace the speakers with amplified speakers and will that control the tv sound and the sony cd?
    Any help desperatly wanted... i have all this technology and am still unable to play!
    :lease:
    jodie :

4. trailer

trailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    sounds to me like you need a surround amp to get everything connected correctly. Ive never heard of a TV that you can connect the full 5.1 speaker set up to directly.

Try a Denon / Sony / Yamaha

Plenty around starting £200 and up