1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help for Newbie - please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bridger, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Bridger

Bridger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am a very much a Newbie and this is my first post, so please be gentle.

Current equipment - 28inch 4:3 Panasonic TV, Sky box (to be replaced by Sky+), Humax digital sat, VHS video. Also, but not linked, Cyrus amp, Cyrus tuner, Marantz CD player, Rogers LS7 speakers.

I am NOT a film buff (no DVD). My primary reason for looking to dip my toe into the AV world is that I frequently have difficulty in "discriminating" dialogue from background effects when watching drama etc. I frequently resort to teletext subtitles when watching drama to ensure I can follow the plot. American sourced material seems particularly bad.

Could you please advise on a suitable amp and speaker selection for ultra clear dialogue on a £600 budget. I do not require a tuner or gadgets like DSP. I have no objection in principle to buying second hand, but doubt that I have the experience to make appropriate selections.

Thanks for any assistance.

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Marantz amps tend to be very good with dialogue, especially the SR7400, which can be had for less than £500.

You could look at a Marantz SR5400 or the new SR5500 which should be out soon.

As for speakers to go with the amp, and the prime concern is dialogue, I would say a Mordaunt Short MS905A would be perfect, and a good match for the Marantz amp. You could use your current speakers through the Marantz AV amp by using the Marantz's preouts feeding into your Cyrus amp.

If movies are not as important, I believe a sub woofer for .1 can be negated?

My choice:

Marantz SR7400 (£480 from unbeatable)
    Mordaunt Short MS905A (£119 from AVLand)
    Mordaunt Short MS902 (£149.95 from AVLand) or the MS302's at £94.95

A little over your budget I know, but I believe this could give you the best overall performance working with what you already have.

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    :hiya: Bridger and welcome tot he forums :thumbsup:

OK We have your budget but still need to know if you want floorstanders, stand mouners or 'lifestyle' speakers, any specific colour recomendations with the speakers and amp and if you want a full size amp or if you want a half height amp.

I would recommend looking at the Sony amps for the clear detailed sound witout any dsp effects. 795 etc. Leaves about £350 for the speakers and interconnects. Does your tv have stereo out on the back of it? Or if not your vcr as your gonna need to port the sound from the tv into the amp from somewhere.
    The 795 was the group test winner in What hifi a couple of months back :
    http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_22435.html
    Features:
    Features: 100 watts x 7, DAB/FM/AM reception, 99 DAB presets, 60 FM/AM presets, Auto/manual tuning, RDS reception including PS, PTY, RT, ST, EON, Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital EX, DTS ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, 2 x video in (component video, S-Video, composite and stereo), 1 x video loop (S-Video, composite and stereo in and out), 1 x video loop (composite video and stereo in and out), Component video, S-Video, composite video monitor out, Front S-Video, Composite and stereo in Composite to S-Video upconversion, 3 x optical in, 2 x coaxial in, phono in, tape loop, line in, 5.1 input, front optical in, 4mm banana plug/binding posts, 1 x optical out, Subwoofer pre out, 6.3mm headphone jack on front, Remote control with multi-brand command codes preset - can operate a wide variety of Sony and other popular brands' products, Wide frequency response up to 100kHz - SACD/DVD Audio compatib

Attached Files:

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The 795 is a nice amp, forgot about that one.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,221
    Are you sure about the DAB I saw it was DAB 2 months ago in What Hi-Fi but in this months issue the retracted it.
    If it had DAB it would be a clincher for my choice.

6. Bridger

Bridger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the help guys. Gives me plenty to think about.

Further suggestions still welcome.

DaveB

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The biggest difference between the Marantz and Sony amps is the way they deliver dialogue, if you prefer a warmer sound, then the Marantz models (and Denon) would be worth a look, if you prefer your sound a bit brighter, then Sony + Pioneer could be worth a look. The Yamahas tend to be a bit more neutral, hence their popularity. All depends on what kind of sound you are looking for.

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I just ripped it off a website so didnt really check if it still said DAB or not. What a bargain it would be if it did have DAB? Still wouldnt make me change though :D

Bridger we still need to know the style of speakers your after :rolleyes: