Help for Budget AV Receiver and Speakers(First Time)

Digitalpimp

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I really want to move on from my TV Speakers and I thought about getting a AV Receiver and Speakers for around £300 second hand.

My idea was spending £150-£200 on AV Receiver and getting 2 book shelf speaker for a start. Then centre speaker, woofer, and surround speakers.

I thought about spending on Receiver more so I can get the speakers with time.

It's my first time building a Home theatre system so I don't know what to look at exactly. I do live in a studio flat and I don't want to disturb the neighbours but we will be moving out this year so I can get the subwoofer later on. I added a drawing of what's in my mind with the current furniture that we have.

My TV Model: Philips 50PUS6704 which supports Dolby Vision and Atmos(HDR10+) and I watch my content from Google Chromecast with Google TV.

I can increase the budget for AV Receiver £50 if necessary. I believe there is so many topics like this but couldn't find one that is recent.

Thank you so much for everyone in advance for the help :)
AV.jpg

You should not rule out getting all 5 speakers together as it's usually cheaper when people sell.it as a package When people split and sell speakers separately it can work out more.

Do you have space restrictions due to the compartments...you could consider positioning the left and right speakers wider apart outside of the cabinet.

Hello password1,

Yes I did realise most of the times it's cheaper to get all 5 speakers together but I guess it's all gonna be depend on how much I will spend for the receiver. As in space wise, I can't go outside of the cabinet. It's not really a small cabinet. Left and right speakers will be around 120cm apart from each other. When I move out I can put them outside of the cabinet but not at the moment.

It shouldn't cost more than £8-10 to mount them outside the cabinet without drilling any holes into the cabinet.

£4.60 ish for a piece of pine 2.4m standard length is all u need.. A few screws (cost pennies) and a small roll of double sided acrylic padded tape, 2 metal brackets at 99p each but the L shaped bracket will be ok for small speakers (cost pennies)

£2-3.50 for a little tin of paint or vynil wrap.

how far is the seating position to the TV

As for the receiver, something like a Pioneer VSX 327 (£75-90) or equivalent will be more than adequate for 5.1 for a basic set up. If your TV isn't 4k and you have no plans anytime soon to upgrade then there are plenty of non 4k receivers for cheap as people upgrade. There's nothing wrong with the sound quality, the main reason many people sell them is to upgrade for 4k passthrough or the latest features which dont affect sound quality. Even with a 4k or 8k TV, if you all need is better sound, any reciever will work.

Last edited:
I mean the issue with putting them outside of the cabinet is not the cost, there is no space to put them outside of the cabinet, because its a studio house.

TV is looking to the bed so 2.2 meters as seating position

That's quite a narrow sound stage with viewing distance almost twice the distance of the speakers apart. You'll need to experiment with different toe in and out angles.

Yes, it is not the ideal layout for now but hopefully in the future. What would you suggest for a Receiver ?

I would personally look at Pioneer as they're reliable and decent quality. Avoid the really old Onkyos. The newer Denons (less than 5 years old) are expensive. You should as a minimum get one with hdmi 1.4, ideally 2.x and 4k for a little bit of future proof and pretty much every decent new TV these are are 4k or more.

Just stick a budget on ebay and see what comes up.

I have only owned 1 old Sony avr (still going strong and faultless) so can't comment on the later models but they are hold value (if atill current). I believe the 790 is the smaller sibling of the popular and still expensive 1080. You're going modern and current with that avr with atmos, and the usual latest gizmos.

If paying well over 200£, avoid if it has the cheap spring clips.

Sound system - don't rule out a 2.0 or 2.1 system, you may find that suits your budget better and delivers the sound you require.

This NAD in the AVF Classifieds (£150) for example has an Optical Digital Input which is ideal connected to the Optical Out on your TV and leaves enough budget for a decent stereo pair of bookshelf speakers, For Sale - NAD D3020 Hybrid Digital Amplifier V1

Cabinet - ensure the TV is not too high, you want it at a comfortable height when you are sitting down viewing the TV.

Joe

I have only owned 1 old Sony avr (still going strong and faultless) so can't comment on the later models but they are hold value (if atill current). I believe the 790 is the smaller sibling of the popular and still expensive 1080. You're going modern and current with that avr with atmos, and the usual latest gizmos.

If paying well over 200£, avoid if it has the cheap spring clips.
Thanks for the tip, I was thinking of buying a Sony TV in 1-2 years time so I thought it would make sense to go with Sony for receiver

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom